When slowing to a stop, 3-2 and 2-1 shifts seem harsh

That was one of the first things I noticed when I got my '16 a few months ago. Feels a bit like engine braking in a larger truck, which I suppose it is. Takes some getting used to, but it's nice not having to use the brakes so much. I imagine it's even more aggressive in tow/haul.

Having early downshifts kind of makes up for the fact that it wants to hit 3rd and 4th so soon under soft acceleration. When slowing for someone to make a right turn in front of you, it's usually ready to speed up without forcing a downshift.

I would rather replace the brakes than the transmission. I don't need the truck's help in braking. As for being ready to accelerate, mine is always a step behind. It is still trying to brake when I want it to accelerate after waiting for the person in front of me to turn. I really wish they had a way to turn off dynamic braking that didn't involve an aftermarket tune.

I would rather replace the brakes than the transmission. I don't need the truck's help in braking. As for being ready to accelerate, mine is always a step behind. It is still trying to brake when I want it to accelerate after waiting for the person in front of me to turn. I really wish they had a way to turn off dynamic braking that didn't involve an aftermarket tune.

You are not the only one. GM could have easily offered some options so a driver could make some changes to their setup just a simple mode switch would have alleviated a lot of heartache. Touring / Sport / Grocery gittin and Racing mode LOL and that stupid AFM thing man that should not even be active until over 50mph just plain dumb IMHO.

I agree that it can get somewhat confused/notchy at times, but coming from an '05 Avalanche which had one of the laziest transmission setups ever produced, I definitely appreciate the active nature of the trans now. The old truck would only move when pushed hard (near 100% throttle), while the new one reacts well at ~40%. Also getting around 18 mpg vs. 14.5. Should also mention that I removed most trans TM in the old truck via. HP-Tuners....new truck has a lot more torque/power and better shifts (not as firm without a tune, but it runs through them without issue)..

//If the trans does fail, the current factory setup/programming should place that within warranty//

-'16 Silverado Double Cab 5.3 4x4

You can turn off grade braking by holding the tow/haul button for 5 seconds. You'd have to do it every time you start the truck if you hate the feature that much. My '16 doesn't seem too overly aggressive, but there's been a few clunky downshifts.

You can turn off grade braking by holding the tow/haul button for 5 seconds. You'd have to do it every time you start the truck if you hate the feature that much. My '16 doesn't seem too overly aggressive, but there's been a few clunky downshifts.

I have tried that before thinking that was it. No change for me when grade braking turned off.

I thought maybe it is normal with the G80 or 3.42 gearing. I just wanted to make sure something wasn't going bad since I'm running an aftermarket tune.

I have a '16 1500 z71 with about 6k on it and experience the same things. I found it to be a LITTLE better when in M5 around town and then up to M6 for highway. In manual mode the grade braking is automatically off, along with the AFM, so it just drives better. I agree that the downshift is tough because you have to let off the brakes a bit to compensate for the drag of the downshift.

So I just took my 15 Sierra in for the recalls and I asked him to check out the hard shifting issues I was having......The certified GM tech then proceeded to tell me that there is a software patch that just came out that should correct the issue. Fingers crossed, we shall see.

So I just took my 15 Sierra in for the recalls and I asked him to check out the hard shifting issues I was having......The certified GM tech then proceeded to tell me that there is a software patch that just came out that should correct the issue. Fingers crossed, we shall see.

Interested in this.

Interested in this.

6 spd or 8 spd?

8 speed. The dealer just called and said they are putting the new program on my truck now.

Please let us know if this improved your 8 speed. Also any info about this reprogram such as the "official" name of it number etc. I as well as many others have poor/rough shifting 8 speeds and are looking for a solution . Tom

Archived