2016 Tahoe LTZ 3.08 or 3.42?

I am looking to buy a new 2016 LTZ Tahoe if I can get the price right with all the discounts and rebates. I have a choice between two, one with the max trailing package and one without, The max trailing has 3.42 gears, will the other is the standard 3.08. The fuel mileage sticker is the same, but it seems to me the 3.42 would get less gas mileage. I am never going to tow anything with it, just wondering if the 3.42 would be better for acceleration, etc. Any real world experience between the 2 on the new Tahoe?

I rented a Tahoe with 3.08 gears one time, it was fine for normal driving and hauling family around. It would be fine hauling a Jet Ski or Lawn Mower. I wanna say it did two grand at 90mph.

However if your planning on doing any big towing 3.42 hands down. I personally prefer the 3.42.

It really depends on what you plan on doing with it now and down the road.

Daniel

Do what I did, take one for a test ride, then immediately take the other. I "rode 'em like I stole 'em" for my test drive and could not tell any difference whatsoever in performance from zero to 70mph so I bought the 3.08 - for better MPGs. I have towed a few times and use it to plow snow on my property, never any issue with the 3.08.

+2 years and over 30,000 miles later and I still have no regrets.

Bought my truck used, didn't know what rear end I had

After driving it for 3 months and researching the trucks more, I was very happy I had the 3.42 gears.

You definitely will not regret the 3.42 after you drive it, it does not feel short legged at all on the highway

• 2 weeks later...

Had the 3.08's in my '14 it was ok but really didn't like pulling any weight. Then bought a 16 Sierra w/ 3.42's and did notice a nice difference towing. Still didn't love it but it was better than the 3.08's. Both had 6 speeds.

Archived