How does the Suburban do in the snow? Winter tires recommended?

For the last 15 years I have drove Audi, BMW, Porsche, VW in AWD forms and they have all been great in the snow with or without winter tires (obviously better stopping ability with winter tires). How does the Suburban do? While the area I live in does not get a lot of winter days I do travel to see family and for business and during the winter and it can often be icy/snow covered roads. Most AWD/4WD vehicles I have drive start just fine, it's the stopping part that is tough, and the Suburban being a big vehicle probably takes more time to get it done. My month old LTZ does have 22" wheels and it looks as if Bridgestone makes their DM-V2 tire in that size... if that makes a difference.

Thoughts?

With the extra weight of the suburban, in my opinion it'd be worth getting a second set of wheels and snow friendly tires. The factory tires on GM's generally aren't renowned for their grip, especially stopping on ice.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I have 2015 Yukon Denali with 22" wheels. I don't care for the OEM Bridgstone. We spend a lot of time in the Tahoe area and I didnlt like the feel of the OEM tire when we were driving in the snow. Just didn't feel secure with them. My old SUV had Michelins LTX and gripped pretty good. I also ran duratracs which were a great on the snow and looked very aggressive. This season I'm going to switch them out with Michelin Premier LTX tires.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

You should be fine with stock tires. Just run 4 wheel auto.

You should run 4hi in the snow

4auto is clutch activated, if you're driving in roads that have 100% snow coverage you want your front and rear locked, it's much easier on the drivetrain

• 3 weeks later...

For the last 15 years I have drove Audi, BMW, Porsche, VW in AWD forms and they have all been great in the snow with or without winter tires (obviously better stopping ability with winter tires). How does the Suburban do? While the area I live in does not get a lot of winter days I do travel to see family and for business and during the winter and it can often be icy/snow covered roads. Most AWD/4WD vehicles I have drive start just fine, it's the stopping part that is tough, and the Suburban being a big vehicle probably takes more time to get it done. My month old LTZ does have 22" wheels and it looks as if Bridgestone makes their DM-V2 tire in that size... if that makes a difference.

Thoughts?

I experienced only a couple of snowfalls with the 20" OEM Continentals and I wasn't impressed. I bought a set of 20" GMC AT wheels and mounted a set of BFG K02s and this is hands down the best vehicle I've ever driven in the snow, with the exception of snowmobiles. :D

While still not great on ice [what tire is?], control through deep snow is simply amazing. The reason why I choose the K02 [snow rated all terrain] over a dedicated snow tire is that I drive annually from Toronto to southwest Florida in the winter which can be interesting driving near the Great Lakes or through the Appalachian mountains. With the K02s, I'm ready for anything - snow, sand, gravel or asphalt in any temperature.

There is a very slight penalty in fuel economy, but it's worth the price for half the year. There is also a very slight hum with the K02s, but less than the Duratracs from what I've read. A dedicated P-spec snow tire would likely be quieter than an LT-spec tire.

My opinion towards snow rated tires has changed over the years. Yes, one can get by without them in most circumstances. I'm OK spending 2% more on the overall cost of ownership to have the best traction possible. And, the KO2s look awesome! :cool: I've got some pics in my gallery if you're interested.

--

Marc

Archived