Don't do 22s

As awesome as the gm black 22 inch rims look, don't do it. I found out the hard way this weekend going up the gravel drive to hunting camp what a low profile tire and lots of rocks mean to all 4 of my $3,000 rims. Scratches all the way around. I just about wanted to vomit. This wasn't off roadin just driving up a driveway. If you want to use your truck as a truck stick with the boring 17 inch rims. Time to get out the buffer and rubbing compound.

In my opinion 22's on these trucks are meant only for boulevard cruisers like mine. My truck will probably never see dirt, gravel, or off road. Just my lifestyle.

That being said, I agree, you're better off with 18's and tall rubber for a truck that sees anything except street use.

You don't have to get 17s, my 18s do good on dirt roads and stuff. I'm not taking this one in the mud, but I've gone a little fast on dirt roads with no problem. The thing is that low pro tires don't allow you to air down if you need to. Also having 18s allow me to rub against a curb or something and not touch the rim, only the sidewall of the tire. I found out by having to maneuver to avoid someone that couldn't drive and my right front tire hit the curb at a decent speed. Only scrapped the tire, nothing on the rim at all.

My plan was to get 17 to match the full size spare for winter use. But I may just sell the 22s and keep the winter set on full time. I will miss the thumbs up and hey buddy nice truck compliments at the gas station though.

I purchased a set of factory 18" GMC wheels for my Bridgestone Blizzaks for the winter. That should solve the problem!

As awesome as the gm black 22 inch rims look, don't do it. I found out the hard way this weekend going up the gravel drive to hunting camp what a low profile tire and lots of rocks mean to all 4 of my $3,000 rims. Scratches all the way around. I just about wanted to vomit. This wasn't off roadin just driving up a driveway. If you want to use your truck as a truck stick with the boring 17 inch rims. Time to get out the buffer and rubbing compound.

Any pictures of the damage?

Don't look at your rocker panels and door bottoms then. It will probably make you even sicker. I've had my truck 2 months now 1700 miles. I drive 2 miles down a gravel road once a week or less to pick up my son from the babysitter. My doors and rockers are full of chips now.

I also learned this lesson on my previous truck with 20's. I scratched them all to hell going off-road and 33" ATs. On my new truck I now have two sets of rims - 22's for the street and 18's for when I go off-roading. 20's aren't good for off-road IMHO unless you have at least 34" tires.

Archived