Official 2017 LP5 Duramax ratings leaked

Zane

2017-SilveradoHD.jpeg

Zane Merva

Executive Editor, GM-Trucks.com

9/27/2016

In the beginning of August, I put in my official prediction that the brand new 2017 Duramax engine would jump in power output considerably. Turns those predictions were extremely close.

A few days ago GM Powertrain accidently leaked the official numbers on a public dealer portal website. TruckTrend was luck enough to grab a screen shot of the stats before GM took the numbers down from the internet.

Here what TruckTrend caught.

duramax_LP5_leaked_stats.jpg

As you can see, the 2017 Duramax LP5 will be rated at 445-horsepower at 2,800RPM and 910 lb-ft of torque at 1,600RPM. Our guess in August came within 5-horsepower and 40 lb-ft.

That now places GM's Chevrolet Silverado HD and GMC Sierra HD 5-horsepower ahead and only 15 lb-ft behind the Ford Super Duty.

Is this enough for Chevrolet and GMC or should General Motors have tried for 1,000 lb-ft of torque?

Stay tuned, GM-Trucks.com hopes to drive this all new Duramax soon.

2017-SilveradoHD.jpeg

2017-SilveradoHD.jpeg

2017-SilveradoHD.jpeg

Should it be 1000 ft-lbs? Easy, diminishing set of returns says no. I'm sure if you just have-to-have it, there will be aftermarket that will make it higher easily. But for a solid build, I'd rather see strong yet conservative numbers. Aren't we wanting a truck that will get a million miles too?

These numbers are also SAE certified unlike the competitor's.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

This is a very important note. The GM New LP5 is SAE J1349 Certified

which the Ford 6,7 PS isn´t. This means that Ford may dismount for example steeringservopumps during the tests. This leads of cause to higher performance.
The SAE J1349 is simulating real true driving conditons.
"The Bottom Line: What SAE J1349 Certified Power Can do for You: • Improve customer confidence. They will know and trust that the power you advertise is the power they’re receiving. • Assure 100% truth in advertising. • Strengthen your Brand"

Most likely, as in 2010 intro of the new Ford Diesel, Ford will soon up the anti on its 2nd gen Diesel to 500 HP & 1000 Ft Lbs of torque to stay ahead of the pack. But even w/o this we all know for towing purposes the main number to consider is torque & Ford is already ahead GM as the Twins come to market.

It doesn't really matter what number they produce, just so long as they can efficiently put it to the pavement for real world use. Ya'll know how the game is played, Duramax does 1000 ft/lbs, shortly thereafter Powerstroke does 1001, then Cummins does 1002, etc, etc, etc...

Most likely, as in 2010 intro of the new Ford Diesel, Ford will soon up the anti on its 2nd gen Diesel to 500 HP & 1000 Ft Lbs of torque to stay ahead of the pack. But even w/o this we all know for towing purposes the main number to consider is torque & Ford is already ahead GM as the Twins come to market.

Yet when the 6.7 Powerstroke went up against the Duramax back in 2011 it was still slower on the grade climb tests despite the power advantage Ford claimed. Ford even sent a ringer and it wasn't enough.

http://special-reports.pickuptrucks.com/2011/08/2011-heavy-duty-hurt-locker-best-overall-heavy-duty-pickup-truck.html

Archived