I'm looking at getting a new rifle and I have my eye on the Ruger American in either .270 or .308. The value for the price can't be beat and I'm not wanting to spend $1,000 on just a rifle. They are even free-floated from the factory as well.

Gander Mountain currently has a combo on sale with a Vortex Crossfire II on top that I've had my eye on. If I don't like the scope on that rifle I'll probably put it on my m-loader and replace it with a Leupold.

Reading online it seems that they are very close in accuracy but the .270 shoots a little flatter and tends to have more recoil than the .308 in comparable bullet weights. My thoughts for going with a .308 is the reduced recoil so that my girlfriend and sister can shoot it when they hunt with me and my brother-in-law (a .270 will kick too much for them and I know for certain they will not shoot my .30-06). I am also wanting to build an AR-10 in the future so not having to buy many different calibers is nice too.

Has anybody hunted with a .308 and what were the results? This will mainly be for whitetail deer and occasional hogs in FL. Furthest hunting shot I'll take is probably in the 200 yrd range. If I'm playing at the range then I'll go out to 325 just for fun.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would go with the .308 if I was in your position. Not a fan of the 270. However, I will say with a good recoil pad a .30-06 isn't really going to kick either. Your ballistics are close enough that at 200 yards anything .30 with comparable bullets isn't going to be that much different, IMO.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

270 will be the better option inside of 400-500 yards as far as ballistics are concerned, but that really depends on the type and weight of the chosen projectiles. 270 has a higher muzzle velocity and inherently carries higher energy out to 400 yards, hence why a lot of people use it for hunting over the 308. 308 is a larger, heavier projectile and will not be affected by wind as much as a 270. Just some things to think about. I haven't seen a lot of difference in price of ammo in my area.

With all that said, a 308 with do just fine for hunting. I know a lot of people who shoot 308 and they are all satisfied with the results. Also, with the fact that you are going to build/purchase an AR-10, I would lean towards the 308 myself.

After looking at a few more models I'm back on the fence about which one. I am now considering a Remington 700, still in .308.

I bought my original 700 ADL around '97 and from what I've heard, the new Remingtons are not very good. At least not as good as the older ones. The 700 ADL is within a few dollars of the Ruger American but I've also seen the 700 SPS Tatical and like that one.

Ruger: 22" barrel (free-floated), factory adjustable trigger. Lightweight but stock feels cheap

Remington 700 SPS: 24" barrel, factory adjustable trigger. A little heavier than the Ruger and stock feels more solid than Ruger

Remington 700 SPS Tactial: 20" barrel, heavier than Ruger and stock also feels more solid

Thoughts on either of those rifles and would you choose one over the other? The SPS tactical is obviously more than the other two but is there another rifle in .308 that you would recommend in the $700 or less price range?

Looking at the specs for the Savage 111, I'm liking it. It's a little heavier than the Ruger which I don't mind since it will help with recoil when my girlfriend and sister shoot it. It has an adjustable trigger like the Ruger and the Remington but the one advantage it seems to have is the barrel.

It is free-floated like the Ruger but it says it is Button Rifled vs Hammer Forged. In the little research I could do today it seems that Button Rifling is better in all aspects than hammer forged. All things considered it's only $140 more which isn't bad for a better rifle.

I still haven't had a chance to go out and physically see the rifles but the Savage is top of the list so far. I've also found the Weatherby Vanguard and the Winchester XPR. On paper, both of those are comparable to the Savage with the exception of a non-adjustable trigger.

Does anybody own or shot either of these?

I own 3 308's. love them. One rem 700 sps 20" for my hunting rifle, one rem 700 set up for long distance(re-barreled, a lot of work .25moa gun, and a AR-10 20" built on a psa receiver set shoots as well as my long distance gun to 800yrds then opens up past that. The 308 is not the flattest round for sure, however it's been around a long time. There are so many bullet weights and options to choose from, not to mention load data if you ever decide to reload. A 165gr game king with proper shot placement with take down a 210lb SC white tail where it stands.

Archived