Exhaust leak? Rattle? Normal?

Hi, I'm dealing with an annoying noise in my 2016 Sierra. I noticed it a few days after purchase. I'm 1500 miles in and it's really starting to get on my nerves. Before bringing it in for service (need recall done anyway), I'm hoping to hear from anyone else as to if this is a normal sound, or if someone has had the problem fixed and what was done...

Basically at part throttle at highway speeds there's this almost squeaky sound that seems to come from the driver's footwell. It gets louder as the throttle is pushed down, but then the other engine noise sort of masks it. It does it in V4 and V8 although I think V4 makes it more obnoxious. I was thinking either something is loose or it's an exhaust leak, but not too sure. All I know is I have to have the radio pretty loud to drown it out, and it really is irritating.

I recorded a video today, hopefully you can spot the sound as I modulate the throttle up and down. Any thoughts?

It is probably the flapper valve after the muffler. There are a bunch of posts about it. Mine makes the same noise. Clamp it open with a hose Clamp and see if the noise goes away. You will hear drone and chopper in v4 with it clamped open though.

It is probably the flapper valve after the muffler. There are a bunch of posts about it. Mine makes the same noise. Clamp it open with a hose Clamp and see if the noise goes away. You will hear drone and chopper in v4 with it clamped open though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mine does this. Extremely annoying. I am telling them to check for the sound now, I am starting to think it's an exhaust leak up front. It is not the flapper valve noise, that is located in the back of the exhaust all the way at the rear and makes more a squeak sound, I had that replaced on my 15 and I have a 16 now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I have that noise too. Get it crusing at about 1500rpms and V4 and apply a little gas and it rattles like that. It does it when idle when cold or humid too. Very annoying. I am convinced its from the front cat on the driver's side. Dealerships haven't been able to find it and fix it, so I gave up.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

still happens to me.

Fuel pressure check valve line, located at rear of engine closer to the right side.

This will make a rattling noise when check valve is defective. Check valve is located inside this short fuel line piece.

Hope this helps you find your issue, not gonna claim that this is your problem though but a possibility!

Here you go for a read

http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?s=Check+valve&search=Search

Good luck

Edited by 2strokesmoke

Fuel pressure check valve line, located at rear of engine closer to the right side.

This will make a rattling noise when check valve is defective. Check valve is located inside this short fuel line piece.

Hope this helps you find your issue, not gonna claim that this is your problem though but a possibility!

Here you go for a read

http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?s=Check+valve&search=Search

Good luck

There's a service bulletin out for the link you copied. I had it done a few weeks ago and didn't fix anything.