2015 Tahoe Pre owned extended warranty question

Hello,

Just bought a 2015 Tahoe with less than 20k miles. Long day at the end and I decided to buy expensive extended warranty. First off truck comes with 3 yrs power train and 12 months bumper to bumper so I'm overlapping already. The new plan is 6 years / 60k miles from original and cost $3995. After doing lots of research I'm seeing I should cancel the warranty. Is there any negotiating costs here at this point or just cancel? Also cost me $500 to certify the truck.

Also, can I negotiate the price of this thing, or just cancel? Seems I payed double compared to what's out there.

Would really appreciate your input and help,

Thanks

Matt

Just bought a 2015 Tahoe with less than 20k miles. Long day at the end and I decided to buy expensive extended warranty. First off truck comes with 3 yrs power train and 12 months bumper to bumper so I'm overlapping already. The new plan is 6 years / 60k miles from original and cost $3995. After doing lots of research I'm seeing I should cancel the warranty. Is there any negotiating costs here at this point or just cancel? Also cost me $500 to certify the truck.

Also, can I negotiate the price of this thing, or just cancel? Seems I payed double compared to what's out there.

Would really appreciate your input and help,

Thanks

Matt

Based on the warranty numbers in your post, that truck was originally purchased in early 2014 and was not driven a lot because the OEM warranty is 3yrs, 36k bumper to bumper and 5yrs, 60k powertrain. As for the extended warranty, when I bought my truck I got a 6yr, 100k warranty for around 1700. You paid too much for your warranty and received less coverage than average. Tell the finance manager you believe that cost to be too much and you'll do some cost comparison for better prices and coverage limits and see what they say. I negotiated mine, when you look around don't group price and limits as a package deal. For example, tell another or the current finance manager for 60k coverage limits you are looking at a cost around 2k, and for a 4k cost you are looking at 100k coverage limits. If no one budges, you can always go back to your original offer.

Mine was certified through GM. Don't let my cost be a barometer for you, extended warranty prices may be higher today than when I purchased, which was in Feb 2014. But for over double what I paid and a little over half the coverage limit, you can get better.

Do u recommend if finance guy won't budge, cancel and buy aftermarket?

Base when/if you cancel your current warranty on the latest you can cancel it. But my finance rep told me she was not an employee of the dealership, she worked for GM. That's why I was able to bargain a price and warranty limitations, this was a separate deal with GM vs the dealership. With that said, you should be able to contact the finance rep at any GM dealership and work out a deal in your benefit. As for aftermarket, I went there once only after I found out GM dealerships would honor the policy.

As a reminder, I dealt with a GM finance officer 32 months ago so things may have changed.

Thanks for replies guys. Of course the dealer hasn't returned any of my call all weekend. Only response is from my saleswoman and she emailed me back that I can cancel thru warranty company? Would that kick back the refund to my loan? Would that not generate new paper work to sign? Also I believe they made an error in my favor in that the paperwork I have says the warranty ends 6 years and 60k miles from today and added to current mileage. Even if that error sticks that's still expensive for 6yrs and 60k miles?

Thanks

If it is GM certified, then the bumper to bumper warranty would extend to 48k miles and the powertrain to 6 years 100k miles. It would also come with two free oil changes. It would be worth $499 if that is what you received. A 2015 would have the 100k miles powertrain warranty included. The extended warranty does sound high.

...I can cancel thru warranty company? Would that kick back the refund to my loan? Would that not generate new paper work to sign?

Is this an aftermarket warranty? Kickback refund only if it wasn't written into the loan, new paperwork if it was 'cause the terms and payments will change. As for certified, I am use to that being something the dealership suck-up as a selling point to perspective buyers. But is sounds like they charged you for the multi-point service.

This is going to be uphill, but go right to the top. Dealership manager for the contract and the finance manager for the warranty, you'll be spinning your wheels with anyone else. Don't know when you signed paperwork, but you may be out of time to rework the contract added to the fact that employee cash kickbacks from your deal may already be spent.

Short story, dealer is run by a holes. Literally hung up on me, all of them. The worse part is I apparently won't qualify for another gm warranty if I cancel this one. I've already filed a complaint with gm. They are looking into how we were mis led and over priced on warranty. Looking into qualification on future warranty and also the fact that they may have sold me a car with an open recall.

Extremely aggravating.

Also it would seem that I get the 6 year / 100k mile power train and additional bumper to bumper for 12 months tagged at end of my remaining bumper to bumper. So basically 2 more years bumper to bumper. I do plan to cancel however I was asked to wait 2 days while they investigate. I bought the truck 4 days ago and i believe I have 30 days for full refund.

Thanks again guys

Archived