Thinking about trading in my 2015 6.2 for 2016 GM duramax

So I have a 2015 Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2 liter that had to get a new tranny at 7k miles. Had ford diesels most of my life the 6.0 ruined it for me so I got behind a bow tie. But my friend is a general mgr of a local Chevy dealer and I really miss the diesel he has a 2016 GMC Denali diesel with 8k. Any issues with the duramax it that year Allison? Thx in advance Mike

Will they let you test drive it for a day or two? If so, take it for a few days and think about it. Remember that they have the DEF and DPF emissions crap on them. Might also post over at duramax forums and ask the kids over there their thoughts on the 2016 max.

Cheers.

Haven't had anything but good luck with my Duramaxs. I've owned an 02, 04.5, 07, 13, and now my 15.5. All of which have been solid trucks. My 15.5 is my favorite by far and is the most refined, IMO.

Look on Duramax Diesels and on Diesel Place for some knowledge and some what-to-look fors with the LML trucks.

I haven't had any bit of trouble with my 15.5 and I bought it new. It has 8k on it now IIRC. If you get one, I'd suggest a lift-pump to help the CP4 out and to introduce betting filtering. The reason CP4s go boom is because of shitty fuel and water. I have an Air Dog 4G but a Fass will do the trick too.

No real problems at all with the Allison. The early 15s had some slamming into first issues due to the new T87 TCM, but nothing else so far.

Glad to hear this. I am not up to speed on the CP4 issues.. or what a CP4 even is so I guess I'll need to go educate myself on that. <sigh> And its the weekend :(

Educated. Somewhat. http://www.trucktrend.com/diesel-trucks/1509-understanding-modifying-high-pressure-fuel-pumps-for-cummins-duramax-and-power-stroke-engines/

I'm hoping the thing isn't an issue on my 2012. I'm already dealing with the damn emissions systems nonsense on this thing. (Thanks A LOT GM & EPA!)

2011 thru 2016 Dmax are all the same chassis/engine/trans.

New Dmax (L5P) has been released for 2017 MY. They were announced the end of Sept, expected to be available first of the year.

The Cp3 and Cp4 are the Bosch injection pumps for the Duramax. Cp3 was on 2001-2010 (was essentially stone reliable) and the Cp4 is found on 2011-present LML trucks.

The CP4 issue isn't as common as you may think. A lift pump and GOOD filtration will fend off the issue for the most part. There is still that off-ball chance that it will grenade.

You can always tune it and install a Cp3 to put your mind at ease.

My father's previous truck was a 2011 GMC Sierra 2500 W/T Duramax. In the 5 years he had the truck did 180k miles with almost no issues other than the DEF system going out @ 130k miles. However it seems as if the def issues have been ironed out by now with the newer models. Overall it's a solid powertrain with good power. I say go for it if you can find a good deal on one.

Pretty sure that most SCR units have filters on them that need to be replaced periodically. They are extremely finicky about clean DEF. Most problems with SCR units seem to revolve around filters not being serviced regularly.

And yes, a good lift pump will prevent a lot of fuel delivery issues.

Archived