If you put 3" in the front end (leveling/suspension) could you fit 285/70s on the stock z71 18" rims?

I searched the forums and see lots of 285/65 (11.2" width) but when you get the 12.5 width people say rubbing is an issue so I figure the 285/70 give you an inch height but the same width as the 285/65. Or should you just go to 305/65?

I've also read guys running 275/70 which is a half an inch shorter and thinner so I don't know if that means I'll be fine at 285/70r18 with a 3" lift to the front only or not.

I want something that is going to fill the well but not rub, I just want more bang for my buck and if I am paying 700-1000 to swap the tires I want more than an inch.

Anyone running 285/70 or 305/65 on stock z71 18s please feel free to post pictures,

Thanks for the help!

That doesn't give me a warm fuzzy. I'm also running 2" up front

I went ahead and replaced them with Moog greaseable ball joints. Maybe since they were sealed units they weren't packed with enough grease from the git go. Hopefully these last a lot longer

3" up front? Bye bye front end! My upper ball joints wore out in 45k miles with a 2"

Although I appreciate your concerns for my truck I'm asking if the tires will rub. There is 290 pages of people fighting over CVs, Ball joints, 3", 2.5", and brands that I can read and have spent hours combing through.

My issue is the search function doesn't recognize when I put in 285/70 and gives me no results. That teamed with the result from my search of stock z71 not yielded me any luck I figured id ask.

I am glad you found a better ball joint though. Back to the question at hand.

• 1 year later...

There's a few 285/70s on stock 18s on here, but I don't have any of them bookmarked.    A guy at work has them on his leveled F150...they look OK, but like the 275/70, they look skinny for their height.

295/65 is the best fit, but only a few tire options in that size.

There is at least one guy running 305/65 Falken Wildpeaks on here with no claimed rubbing on a 2.5" level.    

You shouldn't even need a 3" level to clear that size tire.  I have a 2" level and 295/60/20 which is slightly larger overall than the size you are looking at.  I have minor rubbing on the sway bar at full lock, but nothing else. 

Edited by 24v

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I am running 285/75/18 size Toyo at on 2015 1500 stock wheels with king shocks.  I also have a 1.5” body lift.    I have the springs to 2” lift and they rub the oem splash guard where it connects to the wheel well on the bottom so would still rub without the splash guard.  Only the drivers side, and on a close to full lock turn.  It’s worse when the shock is compressed a bit.  I used to have the kings compressed to 2.75 and that got rid of the rub, but I lost the suppleness up front so out it back.  My upper ball joints are shot after 10k miles, last week I picked up rc upper control arms with a modified angle and greasable joints.  I have cognitos already for the lowers with my droop stops cut off.  When I get those on tomorrow I’m pulling the shocks and giving myself another half inch that should get rid of the rub and hopefully retain most of the softness up front.  I’m not easy on my truck, and bomb it on the roads to my cabin.  That likely accelerated the upper ball joint wear.  

Edited by jstev4610