Many apologies; new member, as of today, with a front suspension quest

Greetings, all.

I'm very, very new to this particular forum, but not nearly to GM forums in general. (I have no problem in admitting that I was an active member of GM j-body forums...for more than one vehicle. :) ) Although I've got good experience around pickups in general, this is the first pickup I've personally owned that's new/decent/nice.

Long story short, I want to get rid of this not-to-my-liking front end rake. That said, I've already bought the Rancho QuickLift leveling struts (and rear RS9000XL shocks to match) for my new-to-me 2014 Z71 4X4. My only newbie question is this...

I've researched several Internet sources, and have taken a look under my truck. It really does look as if it's as easy as dropping the factory front strut assembly down through the lower A-arm without removing or loosening anything other than strut assembly bolts. Can it really be this easy?

Again, sorry for such a "noob" question, but I'm looking forward to wrenching on my truck tomorrow morning and sharing photos all along the way! Anxious to become a productive, contributing member of this forum too! Thanks, everyone.

You will need to compress the spring.

and why would he need to do that I believe he has preassembled quick struts, so yes he just needs to unbolt the old ones and bolt in the new ones. I can swap out a side in 15 minutes by just removing the sway bar link and leaving the ball joint together.

and why would he need to do that I believe he has preassembled quick struts, so yes he just needs to unbolt the old ones and bolt in the new ones. I can swap out a side in 15 minutes by just removing the sway bar link and leaving the ball joint together.

That's correct, last truck. They're the Rancho QuickLift LOADED leveling struts (springs already installed; complete, ready to directly install units.

You will need to compress the spring.

Without having to compress and/or remove any springs form either the original or replacement struts, O_J_Simpson, I'm wondering if it's possible to drop the old unit right out the bottom without having to remove ball joints or even sway bar links?

Work has been crazy this week, so I've only been able to start doing very minor upgrades thus far (the truck is getting tinted and fully detailed tomorrow - I'll post a photo when it's done), but I did a little looking under the front of the truck. It looks as if this might be able to be done.

That's correct, last truck. They're the Rancho QuickLift LOADED leveling struts (springs already installed; complete, ready to directly install units.

Without having to compress and/or remove any springs form either the original or replacement struts, O_J_Simpson, I'm wondering if it's possible to drop the old unit right out the bottom without having to remove ball joints or even sway bar links?

Work has been crazy this week, so I've only been able to start doing very minor upgrades thus far (the truck is getting tinted and fully detailed tomorrow - I'll post a photo when it's done), but I did a little looking under the front of the truck. It looks as if this might be able to be done.

Anyone have experience in pulling the factory front strut assemblies out from the bottom - without disconnecting any ball joint and/or swaybar links, etc. - like a weekend driveway boss? :chevy:

Although I can't find the original link following all of my research on the subject, I recall a fellow owner once saying that it can indeed be done on our '14/15s. Any confirmation of this fact? If not, I'm totally great with the driveway experimentation, and subsequent "sticky" write-up(s), that I've become renowned for on many other GM forums that I've been fortunate to have participated in.

Archived