2005 suburban ticks at idle

Tuckybutt

Question

HELP I have a 2005 suburban that runs and drives fantastic besides the tick it has at idle. If I drive the vehicle the tick can be faintly heard inside the cab if all accessories are off. The tick disappears after 5 minutes of driving and won't come back until you let it idle for 2 minutes or wait to start it after it cools. It is a lifter tick not piston slap. IT COMES BACK AT IDLE WHILE WARM. I think it's the oil pickup o ring in the oil pan, the oil pressure is at 38 psi at idle and it used to be at 45psi with no tick. I am thinking the lifters aren't getting enough oil at idle and eventually the oil runs off? Any help or past experiences are greatly appreciated.

1 answer to this question

In the past, when my vehicles reached that stage, I'd go up a notch in oil viscosity. These days that means going from a 5w-30 to a 10w-30, especially if it's got alot a miles on it. In the day, I'd throw 20w-50 in, and that would quiet it down a bit .. sometimes. When it didn't work, I just drove for years with the noisy engine. If it's got alot of miles on it, you haven't got much to lose - it owes you nothing.

38 psi is plenty of pressure - it will probably tick away for 100k or more.

I'm running Amsoil 10w-30 in my '07 Silverado. It's only got 87k on the clock, but it seems to be going downhill quicker than I ever imagined ...

Archived