Cadillac Dealers Opt Not To Walk Away Nicely

Gorehamj

post-139450-0-13635200-1476746033_thumb.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
10-17-2016

A few weeks back Cadillac announced that it had offered 400 of its 925 dealers a cash payment to quit selling the brand and close up shop. The $180K the company offered to help offset closing the franchise to owners was laughable. No shocker, but nearly all the Caddy dealers said no.

Saying no means they will opt into a new, tiered, dealership program that rewards volume of sales. Dealers are not happy, particularly the rural, smaller dealerships. The plan seems to favor the larger urban Cadillac dealerships. Look at any recent Cadillac advertisement and it is pretty easy to believe that claim. Dan Creed, the sales chief for the Cadillac brand in North America, told Automotive News that 98.7% of Cadillac's dealers had signed up for the new program (that means 13 dealers opted not to play along). Some of Cadillac's smallest dealers will not even have cars on the lot anymore, but will be sort of like Tesla's design studios. Hmm....

Problem is, if they did try to sell Lincolns, they wouldn't sell. Lincoln is the lowest of the low of the luxury cars and has been for many years now. I'm starting to think Cadillac is only a step above at this point. what a shame.

I bought a 16 ATS-V and love the car but not the price as it was astronomical...now it's worth over 25% less than when I bought it less than a year later and the market is flooded with entry level ATS's...I would have loved a CTS-V although they cost as much as new Z06 Corvette.

In 1990 Cadillac won the very prestigious Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award for Excellence...that was 36 years ago...and it has never even come close to winning a second time like MidwayUSA, MEDRAD (Bayer), Ritz Carlton and 5 others whom have won it more than once. I guess Cadillac's (GM's) commitment to continuous improvement has fallen short since the 90's...IMHO

I would have loved to buy a new Caddi pick up loaded with all the options but they stopped making them. :-((

Ever notice how many of the other brands are making tall 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton work vans for years now - Mercedes, Ford, Nisson, Dodge. GM? - nope. :-((

Personally I'd rather have a Chevy truck than a Caddy...just kind of re-branded and little more fancy Silverado...kind of like all those Escalades, just a fancy Chevy at a higher price...I don't get it?

Archived