2010 Silverado 4.8l 4l80e whining noise

2010regcab

Question

In the stages of diagnosing my issue. Here is a brief history: I bought the truck about a month-2 months ago. Had 53k Kilometers on it then (I live in canada) and I just rolled over 57k. I bought it privately so no warranty. During my test drive I didnt notice the whining noise. Now it has gotten progressively worse. It makes the noise under any throttle input. No noise in park or neutral when revving. Put truck into drive, hold with brake and rev up and it will whine. Makes noise in reverse too.

Now because it will make it in gear but sitting still Im led to believe I have somehow managed to damage my tranny pump? Im hoping someone has been down this road before? My transmission guy says they are aluminium and can somehow become scored somehow?

Any input and discussion is appreciated guys!

Thanks a bunch, this is my first post here

If it helps I'll film a quick video for everyone.

6 answers to this question

Sounds to me like a bad bearing some where could even not be the Transmission could be a wheel bearing differential bearing. Does it change pitch while changing lanes turning?

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Its not possible that could be the cause as it makes the whinning noise when the truck is stationary, but in gear

I didn't see that part sorry I thought it was only when he was moving. Could be converter anything hard part in it causing it most likely not a pump as it would do it under pressure in park as well as gear sounds like your rebuilding a Transmission or taking it to a transmission shop

Sounds to me like a bad bearing some where could even not be the Transmission could be a wheel bearing differential bearing. Does it change pitch while changing lanes turning?

That truck has a 4L60 transmission, not a 4L80. I would check the transmission fluid level ASAP. Make sure you get it up to temp and on level ground. If it is low, get it to the proper level and see if it helps any. If it looks and smells burnt, bad, etc. be ready to have that transmission removed and torn apart to see what is up.

That truck has a 4L60 transmission, not a 4L80. I would check the transmission fluid level ASAP. Make sure you get it up to temp and on level ground. If it is low, get it to the proper level and see if it helps any. If it looks and smells burnt, bad, etc. be ready to have that transmission removed and torn apart to see what is up.

Oops, i knew it was the 4L60. mistakenly put 4l80. I have already added about a pint of dexron as it was down a smidge. Its clean fluid, not burnt at all.... Currently its still shifting fine and everything but the noise is scaring me.

Archived