2005 Silverado Z71 whinning and vibrating noise

z71_perkins

Question

So I bought this truck (2005 Chevy Silverado z71) about 3 months ago I have put about 9,000 miles on it since i have had it (almost at 140K). A few days after i bought the truck it started to make a whinning noise but is was very quiet so I though nothing of it and since i bought the truck from "out of state" I had to drive it back home. On the drive home everything was going good and then i noticed a vibration when I let off the accelerator it was not a bad vibration but I noticed it. once I got it home and started to drive it around I decided to change the fluid in the rear diff and also the transfer case and the whinning and vibrating went away for about a week. Once it came back i just decided to ignore it (no the right thing to do but I did not have the money at the time to fix it), so fast foward to a couple of months and the truck is pretty much undrivable but only because the whinning nose and vibrating have gotten to the point where it happens all the time. The vibrating tends to be really bad at times but other times its not there. Also i hear this noise that kinda sounds like screws in a metal can. It would be nice to know what the noise is. I personally think it is a bearing some where either in the rear diff or transfer case.

8 answers to this question

front wheel bearings on these are notorious for not lasting but if you know for a fact that they were both changed with quality replacements then you will have to get the truck up on a rack and start rotating parts by hand until you identify the area with the roughness. Makes it easier to find now that you have driven it until it has gotten Bad. Hopefully not anything too serious since you only have 140000 miles on the truck, it is barely broken in......... I drove a 2003 chevy Z71 for over 500000 miles and the only "bearing" failure I ever had was the front wheel bearing hubs which seemed to go out pretty regularly. 1st one went at less than 70k. Good luck man.

The screws in a metal can is classic metal migration. Metal parts in your differential are migrating outside of your differential.

But When i opened the diff cover no metal came out

front wheel bearings on these are notorious for not lasting but if you know for a fact that they were both changed with quality replacements then you will have to get the truck up on a rack and start rotating parts by hand until you identify the area with the roughness. Makes it easier to find now that you have driven it until it has gotten Bad. Hopefully not anything too serious since you only have 140000 miles on the truck, it is barely broken in......... I drove a 2003 chevy Z71 for over 500000 miles and the only "bearing" failure I ever had was the front wheel bearing hubs which seemed to go out pretty regularly. 1st one went at less than 70k. Good luck man.

I thought I should have mentioned this but I cant pin point where the noise is comming from, sounds like it is comming from everywhere and it sounds alot like tire noise but when the noise first started it would get quieter when I let of the accelerator now its just constant and some days its like its not even there because its so quiet

Naw just a front hub bearing. Cheap and only takes a few minutes to change out I would do both sides.

Wheel Bearing? The front wheel bearings were both replaced b4 i bought the truck

Archived