Adding security cameras to the house

Will most likely be getting a new roof(probably just shingles) here in the next month or so and was thinking about adding some security cameras while that's being done.

Anyone have any tips, suggestions, or recommendations on a system or configuration that's worked for them. Or anyone work in the industry that could offer some advice?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your comment suggest you are looking for cameras outside. Is your approach being proactive or are you actually having a problem to want cameras. Cameras themselves can also be proactive and reactive. A proactive camera has a response element associated with it, like notifying you or a security agency to provide a response when there is an activation. A reactive camera only takes a recording (if you have the technology), and in the reactive mode your stuff is already gone and your only hope is to catch a criminal down the road.

But if you decide on a camera system, consider a few things first. Cut hedges and trees down or away from the house, make sure you have adequate outside lighting, get metal perimeter doors, and ensure all doors and windows remain locked when closed. When all that's done, get a camera with night vision.

If you don't do this first, the camera won't be able to;

-- see anything because the (hedges and trees) will block the view

-- view folks at a distance because of (inadequate outside lighting)

-- get a good look because there would not be a delay of entry (get metal perimeter doors, and ensure all doors and windows remain locked when closed)

-- at least see what it's focused on. (Night vision) gives a better look than day vision in a lot of instances. Night vision eats shadows for lunch, versus something like infrared, which primarily provides a heat signature

A lot more to the camera equation to include a different approach for inside, but these are things to think about first. I have never been in the industry as a business, but I spent over three decades in antiterrorism and have extensive knowledge how set set-up alarm systems for nuclear weapons.

Your comment suggest you are looking for cameras outside. Is your approach being proactive or are you actually having a problem to want cameras. Cameras themselves can also be proactive and reactive. A proactive camera has a response element associated with it, like notifying you or a security agency to provide a response when there is an activation. A reactive camera only takes a recording (if you have the technology), and in the reactive mode your stuff is already gone and your only hope is to catch a criminal down the road.

But if you decide on a camera system, consider a few things first. Cut hedges and trees down or away from the house, make sure you have adequate outside lighting, get metal perimeter doors, and ensure all doors and windows remain locked when closed. When all that's done, get a camera with night vision.

If you don't do this first, the camera won't be able to;

-- see anything because the (hedges and trees) will block the view

-- view folks at a distance because of (inadequate outside lighting)

-- get a good look because there would not be a delay of entry (get metal perimeter doors, and ensure all doors and windows remain locked when closed)

-- at least see what it's focused on. (Night vision) gives a better look than day vision in a lot of instances. Night vision eats shadows for lunch, versus something like infrared, which primarily provides a heat signature

A lot more to the camera equation to include a different approach for inside, but these are things to think about first. I have never been in the industry as a business, but I spent over three decades in antiterrorism and have extensive knowledge how set set-up alarm systems for nuclear weapons.

Thanks for the reply. This system would be more for monitoring my outdoor premises in the event something happened. While I would like them to remain hidden, I wouldn't be entirely upset if they were visible and were treated as a deterrent. My street has had issues in the past of kids breaking into cars or stealing decorations. So I'd like something that would be able to record that kind of activity.

I just know that with these outdoor cameras, there is always wires that have to be run into the house. So I thought if I did go with some cameras outside, while getting a new roof put on, might make it a little easier.

Thanks for the reply. This system would be more for monitoring my outdoor premises in the event something happened. While I would like them to remain hidden, I wouldn't be entirely upset if they were visible and were treated as a deterrent. My street has had issues in the past of kids breaking into cars or stealing decorations. So I'd like something that would be able to record that kind of activity.

I just know that with these outdoor cameras, there is always wires that have to be run into the house. So I thought if I did go with some cameras outside, while getting a new roof put on, might make it a little easier.

I have Netgear Arlo wireless, indoor/outdoor, all weather, night vision, magnetic and fixed mounted cameras. Although it wouldn't be a problem to run a wired camera through a garage or any pre-cut hole in the wall, press on with the roof cause if you went with wires they would be under the overhang versus on the roof anyway. Sometimes I just sit mine on the inside window sill. I am not an employee of Netgear, but take a look and read the link on Arlo, pretty cool cameras. A camera like this would work fine for what you want it to do. You would still want to trim hedges or trees to give you a wider view.

http://arlo.com/en-us/products/arlo-pro/default.aspx?cid=us-arlo-srch&utm_source=search&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=q4-us-arlo-search&gclid=CK2Q0qvB9M8CFUGTfgodqjUIxw

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I got a night owl system. It kind of blows. It was a decent price. 1080p 1t DVR, but the night shot isn't that great. Hard to set up. Phone viewing app is hard to use. Plus I forgot the password and don't have the sales receipt which I guess you need when you call tech support to change password.

• 4 weeks later...

I've heard good reviews on the Ring systems. A bunch of neighbors got the Ring door bell that has the camera, phone alert, cloud storage, etc. another one got the cameras that Ring offers. They seem pretty decent and the clarity is shockingly impressive. Fully wifi. Optional solar charger panel.

Anyone have experience with this System / company?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I have the Arlo 4 camera system and it works really good, you just have to make sure you are within range of the router, the other thing is the batteries but they aren't bad if you buy them from amazon. I was not in the position to run wires so this worked out great.

Well, putting this back on the radar, since thieves went thru the neighborhood the other night and got into a few unlocked cars. One house had a camera facing the driveway and showed the pos walking up to the car and checking the door to see if it was unlocked(it wasn't), then walking away to the next house. looked like two young kids, one doing the checking, the other a look out in the street. camera got a real good pic of the kid, so hopefully the police can do something about it.

I just have the cheap Zmodo Wi-Fi cameras you can setup to record video or snap pictures with movement. You can view these on your cell or home computer.

Screenshot%202017-02-22%2016.28.46_zpsur

How do you find the night vision on those? I see Amazon has a few different sets of zmodos on sale now.

And did I read that right, that the power cable is only around 6' long?

I'll take a screenshot later tonight and post it!

As far as power cord you can always use and extension cord. It's not perfect but it serves my purpose. Once the low lifes know you have camera surveillance they kind of shy away, even though I had somebody sleep in my car the other night but he didn't steal anything not even my policeband radio. He was just cold I guess and needed shelter for a few hours. It was storming that night and really miserable. He only stayed for about 4 hours, glad my Cobalt helped him through an other homeless night.

This is at dusk, you start by losing colour and as the gain increases it gets grainier. You can already see the LEDs are on by the reflection of the driveway marker.

Screenshot%202017-02-22%2018.13.45_zpsof

Full darkness...

Screenshot%202017-02-22%2018.40.22_zps3l

Archived