Adding security cameras to the house

I've heard good reviews on the Ring systems. A bunch of neighbors got the Ring door bell that has the camera, phone alert, cloud storage, etc. another one got the cameras that Ring offers. They seem pretty decent and the clarity is shockingly impressive. Fully wifi. Optional solar charger panel.

Anyone have experience with this System / company?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been browsing this one.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have 5 cameras installed around my home and really like the picture quality during the day and at night. I don't have a monthly subscription as I purchased the equipment and can have up to 9 cameras on the same system.

http://www.ltsecurityinc.com/ip-camera/ip-dome/ip-network-turret-camera-cmip3052.html

• 4 weeks later...

we just got an 8 channel surveillence DVR from Harbor Freight (item 62463) and from the reviews, there were no real complaints about it. here are some screenshots from the viewing software it came with. the pictures when coming directly off the DVR are actually quite sharp; the grainyness you see is the compression from going from the DVR to the computer through our shop's dedicated LAN network.

test_CH1_2_11_75_20170319213322_zpsgjeyt

this is what the camera view looks like in daylight/normal light

test_CH3_2_11_77_20170319213330_zpsanuxn

this is what the camera view looks like in low light

test_CH2_2_11_76_20170319213327_zpsdvygw

and this is what the camera view looks like in night vision.

we actually have more cameras planned out that we have yet to install; one is going to face the rear of our shop, looking at the A/C unit and propane tank, and another is going on the front of the building looking over the driveway and carport from over the high bay door. and we still have space for three more cameras if we need them in the future!

• 1 month later...

I have heard that the Honeywell Lyric is pretty good. It has a touchscreen smart controller which connects to seven new devices which consist of a keypad, siren, glass break sensor, motion sensor, detector, wireless key fob and a security camera. It can be connected to your thermostat and be directly controlled from your mobile phone. It also serves as a hub for Z-Wave devices.The Z-element is important for home automation integration. You can control locks, lights, and blinds from either a touch screen controller or a voice prompt from your mobile phone.

• 6 months later...

Pics above aren’t working but I’m renewing this thread ... seriously looking into some home monitoring while I’m gone at work and trips. Budget friendly of course has to be considered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HCVR_ch3_main_20170102200800_20170102201100.dav_2017_01_04_12_38_57.bmpCameras on the exterior are a good addition to home security. We have them both inside and outside and can live view on our Iphones at anytime while were gone. What bugs me is we had many persons come look in our vehicles, pull on our door handles even bold stand there look right at the camera as if to say dont really care. And there right , our police here told me car break in  are at a epidemic level and there more concerned with shootings and strong arm crimes. It was disheartening to have pic & video but they said if they pick them up they will be out in hours due to the non violet nature of the crime. I like being able to look and see what happened even if I cant resolve it at least I know what took place. Here is a prime example of a guy looking in my truck with his phone and he tried all my door handles including the wifes car. I showed it the police they were not interested. 

HCVR_ch3_main_20170102200800_20170102201100.dav_2017_01_04_12_38_57.bmp

26 minutes ago, crankman said:

Cameras on the exterior are a good addition to home security. We have them both inside and outside and can live view on our Iphones at anytime while were gone. What bugs me is we had many persons come look in our vehicles, pull on our door handles even bold stand there look right at the camera as if to say dont really care. And there right , our police here told me car break in  are at a epidemic level and there more concerned with shootings and strong arm crimes. It was disheartening to have pic & video but they said if they pick them up they will be out in hours due to the non violet nature of the crime. I like being able to look and see what happened even if I cant resolve it at least I know what took place. Here is a prime example of a guy looking in my truck with his phone and he tried all my door handles including the wifes car. I showed it the police they were not interested. 

HCVR_ch3_main_20170102200800_20170102201100.dav_2017_01_04_12_38_57.bmp

The link doesn't work.  But yeah, that seems to be the case for most police depts these days.  They don't care about anything but the most violent stuff.  

Never mind the fact, that the people committing all those violent crimes now are the low lifes who started out their careers by breaking into cars. :sigh: 

I still haven't decided on a system yet.  The arlos are popping up a lot with my neighbors, but i don't like the idea of batteries.  I know they have solar panels now, but i can't have 15 solar panels all over my house as well.  

it seems like the wired ones still offer the best features.  but most of them don't get very good night vision reviews.  we have the punks who look for unlocked cars and i want to make sure i can get a clear picture of their faces at night from 10-15' away.  

On 11/16/2017 at 6:48 AM, bndawgs said:

I still haven't decided on a system yet.  The arlos are popping up a lot with my neighbors, but i don't like the idea of batteries.  I know they have solar panels now, but i can't have 15 solar panels all over my house as well.  

it seems like the wired ones still offer the best features.  but most of them don't get very good night vision reviews.  we have the punks who look for unlocked cars and i want to make sure i can get a clear picture of their faces at night from 10-15' away.  

Almost none of them have good night vision. Thats because of their IR lights just don't reach far enough. What you do to fix that is by setting up IR spotlights. Can be found on amazon and whatnot. Thats probably the easiest way to fix your night vision problem. I'm running all POE cameras wired through conduit running on the outside of the house. 

Just now, snowbrdd said:

Almost none of them have good night vision. Thats because of their IR lights just don't reach far enough. What you do to fix that is by setting up IR spotlights. Can be found on amazon and whatnot. Thats probably the easiest way to fix your night vision problem. I'm running all POE cameras wired through conduit running on the outside of the house. 

hmm, that's a very interesting idea to run the wiring outside the house.   i hadn't thought of that

could you snap a few pics of your setup and tell me more about how you ran the wires and to where?   

I actually had to run it on the outside due to the house not having any attic access.  I can't get any pictures right now as its for the new house I'm currently remodeling and going to move into soonish.  But basically, You have a termination point with all the cables going into it. Which is a room with a server box, the POE dvr, POE switch, and a patch panel. Thats where all my networking equipment will go as well.

From there you run it through conduit going to each camera, not the prettiest look but its functional and weatherproof. Then to get to the back of the house I actually had to refeed them into a room, put another switch there, and send it back out.

The lengths on POE is about 300 feet assuming you're using 802.1at (PoE+) switches. If you go with 802.1af switches then you're limited to 50 feet per cable run. This is also how I wired the house for ethernet.

I'm just using Reolink cameras picked up off of amazon and a tp-link 8 port PoE+ switch.

• 1 month later...

Trust me get a stand alone system first. I love the Samsung setup with built in DVR. I have 16 camera with built in night vision. I can remote into it form anywhere with internet. I got the system with 10 cameras for $350 then added more cameras 

NEVER buy wireless. Way to easy to hack and resetting is shit.

I then have a home security system (Front point) It is very inexpensive. and added door sensors with voice on the panel. So the touch panel or my phone can lock doors, as those are key pad z wave controlled as well as the garage doors. Also door record who and when the different codes are used. This is good for house cleaners and nanny.  also now Amazon prime. Oh garage door has built in electric dead bolt. 

That system has wireless smoke and carbon and heat sensors, glass break, motion....  House has 3 wire detectors to alarm as well. 

All is custom controllable. So the panel talks to you. Like DOOR OPEN, Rear door locked. ect.... I can see down the street in both directions and now when a car enters my driveway. 

Then get the night vision door bell cam. 

Steel plate enforced doors. 

Panic room with backup server rack with alarm and camera recorders in there, also phone and panic button.  Electric panel with back up generator on city gas. and on demand water. And a small army worth of guns.  

Around house quick access safes for more guns,  and the large dog. 

I have much more but you get the idea. *tracking, motions, auto lights, reinforced steel fence under deck, security glass basement windows.  ect...

9 hours ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

Trust me get a stand alone system first. I love the Samsung setup with built in DVR. I have 16 camera with built in night vision. I can remote into it form anywhere with internet. I got the system with 10 cameras for $350 then added more cameras 

NEVER buy wireless. Way to easy to hack and resetting is shit.

I then have a home security system (Front point) It is very inexpensive. and added door sensors with voice on the panel. So the touch panel or my phone can lock doors, as those are key pad z wave controlled as well as the garage doors. Also door record who and when the different codes are used. This is good for house cleaners and nanny.  also now Amazon prime. Oh garage door has built in electric dead bolt. 

That system has wireless smoke and carbon and heat sensors, glass break, motion....  House has 3 wire detectors to alarm as well. 

All is custom controllable. So the panel talks to you. Like DOOR OPEN, Rear door locked. ect.... I can see down the street in both directions and now when a car enters my driveway. 

Then get the night vision door bell cam. 

Steel plate enforced doors. 

Panic room with backup server rack with alarm and camera recorders in there, also phone and panic button.  Electric panel with back up generator on city gas. and on demand water. And a small army worth of guns.  

Around house quick access safes for more guns,  and the large dog. 

I have much more but you get the idea. *tracking, motions, auto lights, reinforced steel fence under deck, security glass basement windows.  ect...

Sounds like you need to move! 

Archived