2016 SIERRA engine noise

Tapping sound

I'm confused, was it a tapping sound or was it a squeek as in the sound clip?

Is it fixed? Gone?

Was it the purge selinoid cuasing a hose to rub on the firewall as in the first dealer invoice or was it the high pressure fuel pump and lines as in the second dealer invoice?

What exactly did they replace?

It did

Was your issue the squeak when the engine goes from v4 to v8? Or the tapping like sound coming from the engine bay? Glad they got you fixed up.

2014 Chevy silverado Z71 DCSB w/Bilstein 5100 level

It came from the engine bay.

They first replaced the number1 injector with no luck.

Then a vaccum. And finally the high pressure fuel pump in the intake manifold.

Now there's no noise or ticking.

• Like 1

I guess I need to make me another appointment and have them take a look at mine. The sound is always there, sometimes not so much but still there. It is a little embarrassing having to even explain the sound when a buddy says something about it. I was inquiring about the difference between the 14s and say a 2016 custom I drove for a day, in a previous forum post, but see any action in there. The 2016 Silverado w/5.3 didn't have any tapping sound. I asked the service writer at the dealer and he said it was some tweak GM made to the fuel systems between the years. Those sumbitches....

2014 Chevy silverado Z71 DCSB w/Bilstein 5100 level

Mine was easily heard when I went to a drive thru.

The closeness of the walls made it louder. That's off course radio off window down.

Was the noise always there no matter how long you drove the truck?

Or was it there just during cold start, go away after it warms up?

Was it a squeek or a tick?

Thank you; I'm just trying to figure out if I have the same noise as you, and if mine is actually a problem or just characteristics of a DI engine.

Mine squeek at cold start up but goes away after I drive it some.

• 2 months later...

My truck is currently at the dealership to diagnose a similar (or possibly the same) symptom. They already had it for a day and couldn't reproduce the issue. When the driver brought the truck back to my office, it was making the noise when he got here so he took it back to the dealership. Seems to only exhibit after driving a bit. I have linked a YouTube video that I took for the dealer technician to see. The truck had @17,900 miles on the odometer at the time of the video.

Edited by MrN2itiv
  • Like 1

Dealership replaced the water pump as the fix. Haven't heard any noise since.

Mine was making the same noise at about 14,000 miles. Dealer replaced water pump in November at 15,000 miles. I now have 20,500 miles and it just started making the same noise again a few days ago. Looks like I get a new water pump at each service interval...

My truck is currently at the dealership to diagnose a similar (or possibly the same) symptom. They already had it for a day and couldn't reproduce the issue. When the driver brought the truck back to my office, it was making the noise when he got here so he took it back to the dealership. Seems to only exhibit after driving a bit. I have linked a YouTube video that I took for the dealer technician to see. The truck had @17,900 miles on the odometer at the time of the video.

Yup, that be it! Mine did it all last summer and somehow stopped? It's the Seals in the pump and they act that way due to heat and other than noisy it's not a failure risk....Just a freaking nightmare to get it to make the noise at the dealer........Glad you got it fixed! As for mine it has stopped which is great butt....we all know about those weird sounds that disappear on our vehicles.................They cost 3x as much when it finally comes to a head!

Edited by mookdoc6

• 3 years later...

I drive a 2017 Sierra with 46K miles. At first start up there is a constant tick. tick tick noise. After the truck warms up it goes away. Once you start rolling and accelerate, the high pitched squealing starts and lasts for about 30-45 seconds. After it quits squealing it doesn't come back until you park the truck and it cools down.