Cabin air intake.

After seeing all of the disgusting cabin air filter pictures, it would be nice to head this off. Does anyone know where the air intake location is ? Just got a 2016 and being in a heavily treed area that is full of rodents of all sizes, would like to make a screen to pre-filter this air. Thanks.

• Like 1

Did it get changed for 2016 ? All the posted pictures speak for themselves, MICE, LEAVES, STICKS, could start a campfire with all the stuff collected off the top of these filters.

That doesn't fall through the grate though. If you've got sticks and mice, they aren't coming through the cowl plastic screen, they are coming in from under it right through the intake sheetmetal. And they will probably get through the screen too lol.

Edited by 15HDriver

• 1 month later...

I see this thread died but wanted to reopen the question. I just purchased a 2017 sierra crew 1500 slt. The last truck i bought (which i still own) was a 2006 lt3 Silverado crew with the duramax. I live in a wooded area and have had major mouse issues. My 2006 was a haven for mice. To this day i have never found how the get into my cab. And am worried they will get into my new truck. My 2006 had no cabin filter so i tore apart the cowling only to discover the intake was already screened so the mice were not getting in through there. In my 2006 however large the opening its big enough for a mouse caught in a glue trap to still pull himself out (this has happened twice) without me being able to find him. The only logical opening was the rear body vents that exot between the bed and cab but that is the one place i have never found them. Side note over the course of 2 days last year i caught 11 mice in the cab of my truck.

My wife has a 2014 sienna with car seats and lots of food crumbs from the kids. When we first got it the mice started getting in. But i found that the air intake was not screened. I put a wire mesh over it and since then have never had another mouse inside.

Would be nice if there was anyone who could advise the potential openings for mice in these Silverados and potentially the new sierras. Btw i own a car lift and have had my truck in the air and not found the entry point.

Cab fresh and dryer sheets under the hood don't really work either.

UPDATE: Just last week I was cleaning out the last of the falling leaf debris, getting ready for winter, when I noticed a squareish rubber plug with 2 nipples on it, laying loose by the fender and the battery. Not having any idea where this thing came from, got me to looking. Turns out both ends of the firewall, up top by the black windshield wiper trough have these flapper type vents, like the type in the back of cab. The passenger side fell out, thats what was laying by the fender. With a mechanic mirror and a light could see where this thing goes. Reason it FELL off is, holes are too big, or nipples are too small,or both. Was fun trying to get these nipples back in the holes blind. ONLY TO HAVE IT FALL RIGHT BACK OUT. Some silicone adhesive fixed that. Now with that rubber plug out, the whole mouse family could dance the jig as they went through there. I KNEW there had to be a way people were getting those mulch piles on top of their cabin air filters. I found mine, yous may vary.

• Like 1

UPDATE: Just last week I was cleaning out the last of the falling leaf debris, getting ready for winter, when I noticed a squareish rubber plug with 2 nipples on it, laying loose by the fender and the battery. Not having any idea where this thing came from, got me to looking. Turns out both ends of the firewall, up top by the black windshield wiper trough have these flapper type vents, like the type in the back of cab. The passenger side fell out, thats what was laying by the fender. With a mechanic mirror and a light could see where this thing goes. Reason it FELL off is, holes are too big, or nipples are too small,or both. Was fun trying to get these nipples back in the holes blind. ONLY TO HAVE IT FALL RIGHT BACK OUT. Some silicone adhesive fixed that. Now with that rubber plug out, the whole mouse family could dance the jig as they went through there. I KNEW there had to be a way people were getting those mulch piles on top of their cabin air filters. I found mine, yous may vary.

Did you happen to take a pic of this rubber plug? Is your truck a 2016 1500? Sounds like you may have stumbled onto a possibly important issue here Mr SwampThing..

S

I see this thread died but wanted to reopen the question. I just purchased a 2017 sierra crew 1500 slt. The last truck i bought (which i still own) was a 2006 lt3 Silverado crew with the duramax. I live in a wooded area and have had major mouse issues. My 2006 was a haven for mice. To this day i have never found how the get into my cab. And am worried they will get into my new truck. My 2006 had no cabin filter so i tore apart the cowling only to discover the intake was already screened so the mice were not getting in through there. In my 2006 however large the opening its big enough for a mouse caught in a glue trap to still pull himself out (this has happened twice) without me being able to find him. The only logical opening was the rear body vents that exot between the bed and cab but that is the one place i have never found them. Side note over the course of 2 days last year i caught 11 mice in the cab of my truck.

My wife has a 2014 sienna with car seats and lots of food crumbs from the kids. When we first got it the mice started getting in. But i found that the air intake was not screened. I put a wire mesh over it and since then have never had another mouse inside.

Would be nice if there was anyone who could advise the potential openings for mice in these Silverados and potentially the new sierras. Btw i own a car lift and have had my truck in the air and not found the entry point.

Cab fresh and dryer sheets under the hood don't really work either.

sounds like you need some outdoor cats. That will fix your problem.

After seeing all of the disgusting cabin air filter pictures, it would be nice to head this off. Does anyone know where the air intake location is ? Just got a 2016 and being in a heavily treed area that is full of rodents of all sizes, would like to make a screen to pre-filter this air. Thanks.

Wow I'm glad I saw this thread and comment. After just 15k miles, garage kept, this filter is still dirty as hell.

post-148733-0-30583200-1481146144_thumb.jpg

Wow I'm glad I saw this thread and comment. After just 15k miles, garage kept, this filter is still dirty as hell.

did you stage that pic by putting dirt on that filter? haha that is disgusting

The filter doesn't get dirty by sitting it the garage, it gets dirty when you go out and drive it :cheers:

Haha, yeah I reread some of the posts here, and my idea of how leaves get into and on the cabin air filter was quite wrong. I pictured a vehicle sitting outside somehow being more prone to crap falling in,, but that isn't how that works lol.

Edited by 2015_Sierra