Cabin air intake.

did you stage that pic by putting dirt on that filter? haha that is disgusting

Nope! I was surprised with the fuzz that was piled up in that corner. I clearly need to do this every 10k miles (or less), instead of every 15-17k.

When I pulled out the filter, a leaf fell off the back of the filter and down into the blower motor. I didn't realize it until I fired the fan up full blast and it started making a buzzing sound. Had to pull the new filter back out, and wedge my hand in there and pull it out. I was lucky I didn't have to take the blower motor out just to get it.

Edited by 2015_Sierra

Haha, yeah I reread some of the posts here, and my idea of how leaves get into and on the cabin air filter was quite wrong. I pictured a vehicle sitting outside somehow being more prone to crap falling in,, but that isn't how that works lol.

Its all good, just playin.

So I took a video scope under the window under the hood of my truck and found that there is absolutely nothing to prevent a mouse from getting inside and into the filter which they can easily eat through. So within the next week I'm going to dismantle and fix a screen to prevent it any mice or large leaves from getting into the cabin. I'll take some pictures and videos and post them

So I took a video scope under the window under the hood of my truck and found that there is absolutely nothing to prevent a mouse from getting inside and into the filter which they can easily eat through. So within the next week I'm going to dismantle and fix a screen to prevent it any mice or large leaves from getting into the cabin. I'll take some pictures and videos and post them

Looking forward to see what you come up with.

Will you be able to clean that screen off that you are going to put in?

That's probably the only part I am concerned about. I have an IPA Air Comb which is like a long blow gun with sideways air pressure which i should be able to get in there and place enough pressure to dislodge any leaves etc. Ultimately, if i had too i'll hard plumb an air hose with a quick disconnect...that i can hook onto periodically. Anything would be better than the alternative....

• 1 month later...

Nope! I was surprised with the fuzz that was piled up in that corner. I clearly need to do this every 10k miles (or less), instead of every 15-17k.

When I pulled out the filter, a leaf fell off the back of the filter and down into the blower motor. I didn't realize it until I fired the fan up full blast and it started making a buzzing sound. Had to pull the new filter back out, and wedge my hand in there and pull it out. I was lucky I didn't have to take the blower motor out just to get it.

After reading these posts I decided to check mine truck seeing as we spent last summer in CT where the truck was parked outside. Sure as hell, the filter was full of crap along with a mice nest and about a 1000 mice turds...nice to know I had been breathing this for a couple of months

......that little ball of lint you found is a mouse nest....

• Like 1

After reading these posts I decided to check mine truck seeing as we spent last summer in CT where the truck was parked outside. Sure as hell, the filter was full of crap along with a mice nest and about a 1000 mice turds...nice to know I had been breathing this for a couple of months

......that little ball of lint you found is a mouse nest....

Thanks for the heads up. Guess I'll be checking this WAY more often.

its amazing how quickly those filters can dirty up. It is probably not a bad idea if you folks make a habit of checking the filter every 6 months or so for optimum HVAC performance, no matter what type of climate you live in, perhaps??? eh??

Go to an outdoor, hunting or farm supply store. Buy a $4 little bottle of coyote urine. Put a few drops here and there under the hood. I hit the wire looms a bit as well. Do Not put it on the air filter or anywhere in the air ducts or you will have to get used to coyote urine. I apply it about twice a year, it keeps the mice away.

The K&N Durable cabin filter is a great investment. It takes about ten minutes to install it the first time. Once you have cleaned it a time or two, you can get it out in two minutes flat.

Edited by Darksky
  • Like 1

Another trick I have read is to use scented dryer sheets under the hood. They can be zip tied in place and rats/mice despise the smell and won't get near. I'm lucky my cabin filter did not look anywhere near as bad as some I have seen on this forum when I changed it.

Another trick I have read is to use scented dryer sheets under the hood. They can be zip tied in place and rats/mice despise the smell and won't get near. I'm lucky my cabin filter did not look anywhere near as bad as some I have seen on this forum when I changed it.

I know someone that used the dryer sheets in his MH. The mice used them to make a nest :)

Wallmart sells stainless steel scrubby pads (for pots'n pan's). When I put my motorsickle away for the winter (shed behind the house) I shoved Wallyworld stainless steel pads into the exhaust pipes to keep the mice out. Same stuff might work under the hood of our trucks??