Chevy Shake & Whining Noise

Hey guys,as some of you may know, I've been having vibration issues with my truck. Went from SoCal to Vegas today and the thing vibrated like crazy, even on well maintained roads. Not to mention on the less maintained roads. My entire cabin was shaking. I pulled over and deflated the tires a little since they had 45psi and sticker recommendeds 35. It helped a bit but still pretty bad. I have the BF Goodrich tires. I also have this whining noise that's pretty bad, you can even hear it in the video. Let me know what you guys think. I will be taking it in to the dealership soon. I love the truck!! Just hope they can fix it.

https://youtu.be/weo7iQr8nrg

There has been a great deal of discussion, debate, and information on these two topics. You comment that you are taking your vehicle to the Dealership for repair. This is exactly what you need to do. You may also choose to read one or two of the other threads on this exact topic so that you are better prepared to discuss remedies with your dealer if they can't replicate the problem.

There has been a great deal of discussion, debate, and information on these two topics. You comment that you are taking your vehicle to the Dealership for repair. This is exactly what you need to do. You may also choose to read one or two of the other threads on this exact topic so that you are better prepared to discuss remedies with your dealer if they can't replicate the problem.

I've found info on the shake. Can you direct me on the info on the whine? Couldn't find it

I've found info on the shake. Can you direct me on the info on the whine? Couldn't find it

Yes, it is sometimes a difficult search tool to use. If you don't get it right the first time , it makes you wait. Quite frustrating! Here is a recent discussion http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/193077-2016-sierra-engine-noise/. There are others but may be coupled with other issues.

Yes, it is sometimes a difficult search tool to use. If you don't get it right the first time , it makes you wait. Quite frustrating! Here is a recent discussion http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/193077-2016-sierra-engine-noise/. There are others but may be coupled with other issues.

Thanks smart ass.. move along

How was he being a smart **s to you? He gave you advise on the search function and directed you to another thread that could possibly help you out. You also have a thing called a warranty that enables you to take your truck a local dealership to diagnose the problem(s).

I think you must have mistaken his intent...I didn't read his response as being smart ass whatsoever, rather just info on the search feature being a bit tricky.

I think you must have mistaken his intent...I didn't read his response as being smart ass whatsoever, rather just info on the search feature being a bit tricky.

My apologies if I took it wrong.

Hard to hear the whine noise. Is it speed specific? Or does it do it all the time? What tires specifically are on the truck?

Only on the highway at speeds greater than 65. Don't know the exact tire size. It's the stock BF Goodrich that came with my truck. 17" rims.

Thanks

Only on the highway at speeds greater than 65. Don't know the exact tire size. It's the stock BF Goodrich that came with my truck. 17" rims.

Thanks

Stock 17" those would be Bridgestone, rather than BFG as GM doesn't use BFG as an OE tire. The whine noise could very well be an issue with the rear axle. We've seen a couple trucks here at work with backlash issues on the ring and pinion setup causing a whine or howl that is speed dependent.

If you plan on making a trip, try to push them to go through the GM #PI1354D: Information on Vibration Analysis and Diagnostic thoroughly to eliminate your issue. It's got the latest road force specs they call for on the tires, and has them using the GM Picoscope to pinpoint it. If they will drive it with you even, ie. you drive and the tech comes with you with the Picoscope, that way they have no issues duplicating any of your concerns. The Picoscope should be able to set them in the right direction as to where to eliminate the vibration. I've helped our A tech use it once (I recorded the session via the laptop portion of the tool) and we fixed a 2016 that nailed it out for road force. We had them road force balanced, and found 2 or 3 tires out of spec. Never had a vibration after that.

Stock 17" those would be Bridgestone, rather than BFG as GM doesn't use BFG as an OE tire. The whine noise could very well be an issue with the rear axle. We've seen a couple trucks here at work with backlash issues on the ring and pinion setup causing a whine or howl that is speed dependent.

If you plan on making a trip, try to push them to go through the GM #PI1354D: Information on Vibration Analysis and Diagnostic thoroughly to eliminate your issue. It's got the latest road force specs they call for on the tires, and has them using the GM Picoscope to pinpoint it. If they will drive it with you even, ie. you drive and the tech comes with you with the Picoscope, that way they have no issues duplicating any of your concerns. The Picoscope should be able to set them in the right direction as to where to eliminate the vibration. I've helped our A tech use it once (I recorded the session via the laptop portion of the tool) and we fixed a 2016 that nailed it out for road force. We had them road force balanced, and found 2 or 3 tires out of spec. Never had a vibration after that.

Yup you're right, they are the bridgestone tires. Thanks for you help. I'll see what the dealership can do.

Archived