2016 Rear Differential Fluid/Rear Axle Fluid

I have been partial to the Amsoil Severe Gear 75w90 lube for my Jeeps and Pickups over the years, even my 2006 Cadillac CTS. I use Mobil Delvac synthetic 75w90 in my commercial trucks. That would be great in the pickups also. It must be good stuff, as the differential OEM for my commercial trucks will automatically extend the warranty from 500,000 miles to 750,000 miles by using it, and the OEM recommended drain interval by using it is 500,000 miles. My comfort level will not allow me to go that long. I typically change it in my commercial stuff at 300,000 miles.

Edited by Cowpie
  • Like 1

I did my diff around 42k when I did the PML cover. Dealer did it at 15k when the RR axle seal blew out. That factory fill is for the birds. even with only 27k it was getting pretty dirty. I didn't go for the 85W MPG crap. Way to expensive. I bought a 5gallon bucket of this stuff and it showed up at my door 3 days later. Much cheaper per quart vs even retail M1, or the gold AC Delco stuff. The main thing is get a quality 75-90 Full Synthetic GL-5 rated gear oil. IF you have the G80 Locker, the friction modifier found in even M1 or other retail bottles is not recommended by EATON. I called and talked directly to their tech guy. He was very clear, no friction modifiers. I was not able to find 75/90 Syn Gl-5 on the shelf locally, and I was doing 4 diffs. 2 on my silverado and 2 on my '89 K5. Worked out perfect. And this stuff is "FE" Fuel Efficient. So it's thin 75/90. The 75/85 is for GM to get .1 more MPG on the CAFE. Toyota uses some thin gear oil also... I use my truck as a truck in industrial construction. .1mpg does not matter, getting 250k does. If I cared about the MPG impact between 75/85 and 75/90 then my E load KO2's are really a no no.

Here you go... G80 happy:

http://www.phillips66lubricants.com/documents/conoco/industrial_oils/FOB%20Triton%20Syngear%20FE%20TDSw%20828151.pdf

Over the counter M1 is perfectly fine. No need to run a no friction modified fluid. You just shouldn't add extra friction modifiers.

Thanks everybody! I just am not familiar with the OTR commercial guys and their service intervals. I just assumed 100K for Rear for normal Joes. And thought damn 500,000K thats crazy! I guess not but if I had a commercial business I don't think I could go 500K either. What do I know I still believe the single biggest thing to do 50-60K is the coolant other than the obvious oil change!

Going to change all the fluids in my 2015i GMC SLT 2500 HD truck...front/rear differentials, transfer case as I just towed a race car to Kentucky from Philly area and back with 1600 miles for the trip.

Want to run Amsoil Severe gear 75/90...how much do I need and is the transfer case same fluid?

Also does the rear need posi fluid?

The trans was rebuilt at 2,580 miles and has 8,200 on it now after the Kentucky tow, should that be changed or left as is? Oil is my last freebie so dealer will do that. Dealer doing oil changes in 6 months intervals as I won't get to the miles in two years so most times the oil percent is 80% or more.

Sierra Boy

I have used Amsoil in my motor, diff and tranny on my old '90 BMW 318is when I use to race it, and it held up just fine.

I had a 4:10:1 diff, so the gearing was always on demand, which demanded quality lubricant.

Soon I'll be transfusing my 2016 Silverado with Amsoil where I can.

With that said, there are other good lubricants (Redline in one) out there as well, I just prefer Amsoil, since most of the engine builders (Porsche) I know, and dragster builders all used Amsoil after the break in.

Over the counter M1 is perfectly fine. No need to run a no friction modified fluid. You just shouldn't add extra friction modifiers.

M1 contains friction modifier for LSD use. You only have to add FM to M1 in certain applications that require more slippage. Again, EATON is and was very clear, no friction modifier. If you want to run M1 which contains FM.... have at it. Not my G80. Again, I needed oil for 4 axles, so my Triton FE 5 gal pail came out cheaper than M1 and fully satisfied the EATON specs. Win win.

Edited by FL335i

Great going here thread guys! i had thought about doing at least the rear differential soon (im at 14K). probably gonna find some of that amsoil as i use it in all my quads and sleds and it works well. i like the idea of 75w90 in the rear diff to aid in pushing around the heavy 33s. Amsoil severe gear 75w90 has no friction modifiers? black and red bottle?

FYI my last 2 free oil changes i ask at least two service guys (who i trust) about the rest of the fluids on the truck and they say just leave them alone for now. idkk bout that

Want to run Amsoil Severe gear 75/90...how much do I need. About 6 qts to do both

Look up more info >>>>HERE

is the transfer case same fluid? No, use Dexron VI ATF

Also does the rear need posi fluid? No, trucks do not have Posi, Posi it an old Chevy sales name for a limited slip differential which are normally installed in performance cars etc. Trucks and SUV's have a locking rear differential and the use of any limited slip additives can delay the engagement of the locking mechanism and can damage the G80.

Note - G80 is GM's option code for a limited slip and locking rear differential. What is installed depends on the vehicle. Cars get a limited slip, trucks and SUV's get a locking rear differential. The ONLY GM truck to ever get a limited slip was the discontinued QuadraSteer models.

Edited by elcamino
  • Like 3

FL335i, on 30 Oct 2016 - 12:42 AM, said:

Yes that red line stuff would work. However it says "recommended for API GL-5". just FYI.

Yes it says API GL-5, I thought that's what we need, correct? Or am I missing something? Thanks.

Also will this work in the front diff?

Can anybody answer this.

Do we need a rear diff fluid that is API GL-5 rated or not?

Also what is needed for the front diff; are any friction modifiers ok in the front diff?

Can anybody answer this.
Do we need a rear diff fluid that is API GL-5 rated or not? YES

Also what is needed for the front diff; are any friction modifiers ok in the front diff? NO
Friction modifiers are ONLY used in limited slip differentials which ARE NOT installed in trucks. The front diff is just a plain open diff and use the same fluid in the front as in the rear.

http://www.oilspecifications.org/api_gos.php

GL-5 Active The designation API GL-5 denotes lubricants intended for gears, particularly hypoid (see note) gears, in axles operating under various combinations of high-speed/shock load and low-speed/high-torque conditions.

A hypoid is a type of spiral bevel gear whose axis does not intersect with the axis of the meshing gear. The shape of a hypoid gear is a revolved hyperboloid (that is, the pitch surface of the hypoid gear is a hyperbolic surface), whereas the shape of a spiral bevel gear is normally conical.

download_zpslifasdim.jpg

Edited by elcamino

Why the need for friction modifier in a Limited Slip Differential?

Limited Slip differentials NOT USED IN TRUCKS or SUV'S.

To control clutch chatter!

Chatter is essentially the build-up and release of energy between the differential clutch packs in a limited slip differential during operation. This phenomenon often occurs when torque is transferred between the clutches or when rotational speeds change. During the stick-slip phase, energy is built up to a point where contact between the clutch plates change between static friction (stick) and dynamic friction (slip), resulting in noticeable vibrations. It is this vibration that causes an audible chatter or ratcheting to be heard within the differential. While certainly an annoying characteristic, there is typically no mechanical damage occurring to the differential. It is most often noticed in parking lots or slow driving while turning where the outside wheel turns faster than the inside wheel.

In an effort to control this chatter, friction modifiers are often used. These additives result in a smoother transition between the two states of friction: static and dynamic. Static friction occurs when the clutches physically lock together, while dynamic friction occurs as the clutches are slipping, ergo Limited Slip Differential.

Edited by elcamino