2016 Rear Differential Fluid/Rear Axle Fluid

sell the truck now if you had chunks in the oil.

All the trucks most likely have the milled filings. They look like little half moons probably paper thick maybe shaped like fingernail. Will not damage the engine at all and eventually will be broken down in combustion cycles and trapped in paper media filter. There are many more at the bottom of your oil pan just stick your pinky in there and wipe! Those just sit at the bottom and congregate and some eventually come out in oil drains......Not a big deal just change your oil early 1000 miles before going the 10k oil changes........

Beauty of a 2500, no need to fiddle with gaskets. Both drain and fill plugs in the diffs, both front and rear. Even on the 6.0L gasser. Really surprised that GM doesn't do that with the 1500 series. Been a major complaint I have had for a long time. But in those instances where I needed to do a cover removal, I have always gotten a Lube Locker gasket for the job. A great designed gasket that is very strong and reusable with no need for RTV to seal it up.

• Like 1

The new fluid for the new 1500's is intended to be 'lube for life', hence no plug.

(and hence no change interval in the maintenance schedule)

Maybe the change interval, but a lot of differentials don't have and never had drain plugs and still required fluid changes...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

True. It has been rare for a 1/2 ton pickup to have both drain and fill plugs on both diffs. I can't even imagine a pickup having a fill for life kind of thing. Even with the better, more advanced diff gear lubes we have now.

• 4 weeks later...

You get distributors/marketers on these forums that push/push/push the product and then essentially "belittle" those that voice an alternative product that is essentially equally as good.

Unfortunately this is the case some times. The fact that anyone can become an AMSOIL dealer is the downfall. They jump in and do not learn about the products and just think they can make ton of money selling like crazy. It is not a get rich job by no means. You work it just like any other job, the more effort and time you put into it the more reward you get out.

I try to help out on here and a few other forums as much as I can and believe me it isn't easy keeping up with all of them.

Search my posts. I'm here to help out with what I can and provide product if anyone is interested in AMSOIL.

• Like 2

Beauty of a 2500, no need to fiddle with gaskets. Both drain and fill plugs in the diffs, both front and rear. Even on the 6.0L gasser. Really surprised that GM doesn't do that with the 1500 series. Been a major complaint I have had for a long time. But in those instances where I needed to do a cover removal, I have always gotten a Lube Locker gasket for the job. A great designed gasket that is very strong and reusable with no need for RTV to seal it up.

My 2002 Silverado has a drain plug on the rear diff. It sure makes it nice to change out. The last change out was this summer. Sent a sample of the AMSOIL Severe Gear 75w-90 to get checked it came back good and was told to extend the interval out to 120k. The sample I sent was at 90,516 miles with 160k on the truck.

Unfortunately this is the case some times. The fact that anyone can become an AMSOIL dealer is the downfall. They jump in and do not learn about the products and just think they can make ton of money selling like crazy. It is not a get rich job by no means. You work it just like any other job, the more effort and time you put into it the more reward you get out.

I try to help out on here and a few other forums as much as I can and believe me it isn't easy keeping up with all of them.

Search my posts. I'm here to help out with what I can and provide product if anyone is interested in AMSOIL.

You help more then you know...

I just did the front/rear/transfer case and oil with all Amsoil. I will do the trans maybe next year or so as it was rebuilt at 2,581 with all new inside...has 8,500 on it now but did the others as I tow a race car to Kentucky from Philly and back and to local tracks. I opted out of the last free oil change for Amsoil.

Sierra Boy

• Like 1

Yes the 2014+ Diff cover gasket is reusable. I coated mine with a thin coat of blk RTV silicone for insurance. Clean the axle gasket surface very well.

I did a PML diff cover for slightly extra capacity and more importantly.... drain plug with magnet.

Make sure you clean the magnet mounted inside the axle housing under the gears. Lots of crud that thing caught. I spent a lot of time cleaning that thing up.

Some trucks to have LSD's. I had a '07 F250 FX4 which used a clutch style LSD in the rear Sterling 10.xx" axle. Ford fluid had the proper FM pre-added. The proper info should be stated as GM does not offer a clutch style LSD. GM offers open one wheel peels or a G80 locker. Which according to EATON directly, no FM at all should be in the fluid as it affects the G80's performance. They specifically told me on the phone the M1 75/90 had FM therefore they did not recommend it. This is simple. 75/90 Full Syn, API-GL5, no FM of any kind.

• Like 3