New Member Contemplating '17 Sierra Denali

Hi All,

New member here and current owner of a loaded '14 F150 FX2 w/ 3.5 EcoBoost. I've always been a Ford guy but had plenty of GM in the family. I'm in the market for a new truck and looking to take advantage of a lease on a new Sierra Denali.

I went to the dealership to test drive tonight knowing I loved the idea of this truck, but left with more uncertainties...

• First things first, the truck is absolutely beautiful. Interior is leaps and bounds over Ford in terms of quality & feel. GM has some neat features that make it competitive against the F150.
  • Transmission: the first thing I noticed on the test drive was a serious CLUNK from the 8 speed every time I stopped and the transmission downshifted into first gear. I also noticed some pretty serious hunting going on when passing and attempting to downshift. It was probably a 1-2 second delay after I mashed my foot down.
  • Engine: I was honestly a bit disappointed for 2 reasons. One, with all the sound deadening, I could barely hear the 6.2 rumble (unlike my mother's '12 Yukon Denali). Second, it really didn't seem all that quick? There was an initial quick burst of torque when on the throttle but once you past 3-3.5k RPM the power really seemed to die off? (I know I'm coming from an engine with 2 turbos and looking at a big lazy eight.. but still)
  • Headlights: It might have been the road that I was on (lots of other cars) but it sure seemed like the LED headlights were dimmer than the HID's on my F150.
  • Turning Radius: it sucks. Couldn't make a u-turn on a very wide intersection.

In addition to those "bigger" / deal-breaker issues, there were a couple of other things that really irk me for a $65,000 truck:

• No keyless entry (the Yukon's have it...)
  • No push button start (again, the Yukon's...)
  • No blind-spot light (again... ^)
  • The plastic "wood" trim on the sides of the center console was loose and rattled...
  • The intellilink touch screen seemed slow to react graphically to my inputs... For example, when changing a station, the audio switched immediately but the indicator on the screen and the "beep" were delayed.
  • The door handles feel like they might actually break off in my hand
  • No power telescoping steering wheel...
  • No A/C vents to the back seats??
  • Don't love the 22" wheels and wish there was another option with the "ultimate" package

So, I apologize for the rant but I think I am even more undecided then where I started. Yes, the new F150's are really nice, but so similar to my current truck that it doesn't warrant getting a new model to me. And now having experienced the Sierra Denali... not sure if I think trading up is worth it either?

What do you think.. did I just get a "dud" of a truck? Should I go back and test drive another?

I just sold my 14 Denali and got the 2017 Denali. I just love it. 0 to 60 in 6 seconds and am very impressed with it. My 2014 was supercharged and had a set of headers. It corners and handles like a dream. Just driving a Denali in public will turn heads because it's a Denali. Fuel mileage is very good at 26mpg or 23 mpg in US terms at 65 mph on the freeway. I only have 2000 miles on mine and haven't had any tranny issues.

I just sold my 14 Denali and got the 2017 Denali. I just love it. 0 to 60 in 6 seconds and am very impressed with it. My 2014 was supercharged and and had a set of headers. t corners and handles like a dream. Just driving a Denali in public, just turns heads cause it's a Denali. Fuel mileage is very good at 26mpg or 23 mpg in US terms at 65 mph on the freeway. I only have 2000 miles on mine and haven't had any tranny issues.

Hard to decypher that response...lol.

So, I apologize for the rant but I think I am even more undecided then where I started. Yes, the new F150's are really nice, but so similar to my current truck that it doesn't warrant getting a new model to me. And now having experienced the Sierra Denali... not sure if I think trading up is worth it either?

What do you think.. did I just get a "dud" of a truck? Should I go back and test drive another?

From one Aggie to another...

There is a very easy fix for the slow acceleration/transmission clunkiness. It's a tune.

Many members here say it's a night and day difference due to the amount of restrictions GM puts on their vehicles. Which I will be upgrading to it @ 40k miles.

The headlights are definitely on a new level compared to the '15 models.

Turning radius - well this isn't a Jeep, haha trucks have always lacked on the turning radiuses.

Interior trim can be changed out or wrapped for cheap and you can actually purchase a GM trailer camera system and get cameras on all 4 corners (no need for the blind spot light then).

Now I do agree with the 22" wheels and there being no back A/C vents. Work into your package that you'd like 18" or 20" wheels ILO the 22". Many dealers will give you exactly what you want, especially when you're paying top dollar for the highest end model (I got my exhaust, window tint, and Kicker worked into my deal at no cost, after I negotiated my price.)

And I've heard many good reviews on the digital screen in the Denalis... Tons of guys here actually would prefer your Denali startup screen as well :driving:

Don't forget it has MRC (Magnetic Ride Control). Definitely a nice perk if not adding a lift to your truck.

Try a '16 model out with Chevy or GMC and see how you like it and compare.

Hi All,

New member here and current owner of a loaded '14 F150 FX2 w/ 3.5 EcoBoost. I've always been a Ford guy but had plenty of GM in the family. I'm in the market for a new truck and looking to take advantage of a lease on a new Sierra Denali.

I went to the dealership to test drive tonight knowing I loved the idea of this truck, but left with more uncertainties...

• First things first, the truck is absolutely beautiful. Interior is leaps and bounds over Ford in terms of quality & feel. GM has some neat features that make it competitive against the F150.
  • Transmission: the first thing I noticed on the test drive was a serious CLUNK from the 8 speed every time I stopped and the transmission downshifted into first gear. I also noticed some pretty serious hunting going on when passing and attempting to downshift. It was probably a 1-2 second delay after I mashed my foot down.
  • Engine: I was honestly a bit disappointed for 2 reasons. One, with all the sound deadening, I could barely hear the 6.2 rumble (unlike my mother's '12 Yukon Denali). Second, it really didn't seem all that quick? There was an initial quick burst of torque when on the throttle but once you past 3-3.5k RPM the power really seemed to die off? (I know I'm coming from an engine with 2 turbos and looking at a big lazy eight.. but still)
  • Headlights: It might have been the road that I was on (lots of other cars) but it sure seemed like the LED headlights were dimmer than the HID's on my F150.
  • Turning Radius: it sucks. Couldn't make a u-turn on a very wide intersection.

In addition to those "bigger" / deal-breaker issues, there were a couple of other things that really irk me for a $65,000 truck:

• No keyless entry (the Yukon's have it...)
  • No push button start (again, the Yukon's...)
  • No blind-spot light (again... ^)
  • The plastic "wood" trim on the sides of the center console was loose and rattled...
  • The intellilink touch screen seemed slow to react graphically to my inputs... For example, when changing a station, the audio switched immediately but the indicator on the screen and the "beep" were delayed.
  • The door handles feel like they might actually break off in my hand
  • No power telescoping steering wheel...
  • No A/C vents to the back seats??
  • Don't love the 22" wheels and wish there was another option with the "ultimate" package

You didn't get a"dud" other than the rattling loose trim..not sure what to say about the door handle comment, they seem fine to me... I don't think there will be much difference in driving a different Denali to change your mind other than possibly one that doesn't have rattling wood trim....

There are always other wheel options, it will just cost you $$$....On the power telescope, I adjust mine once and forget about it so that's not really a big deal, atleast to me. I agree on the push button start..Many here prefer keys, I have come to appreciate the push button start my wifes Mercedes has and my daughters Cruze...yes the Cruze has it but my 60k+ Denali doesn't! "Keyless Entry" It has keyless entry so not sure what you're referring to there. I think the lights are great...much better than the lights I had on my 2015 HD. I wouldn't say "sucks" when referring to the turning radius...but maybe that's just because I'm coming from an 3500 HD SRW? Finally..Engine??? What's not to like if it had the 6.2??? Keep in mind unlike the Yukon Denali's, the 6.2 is not a given in the Sierra Denali...it is possible the truck you drove had the 5.3.

For what its worth mine has been great and love it. The tranny gets MUCH better after the first 3-4000 miles and I prefer it now over the 6spd. You'll have to decide if trading up is worth it.

I get a kick out of you lease guys. Can't commit to 2 years in the highest truck in the line?

As for your "deal-breakers" - You do know that the denali is basically mechanically the same as the lower trim levels with some added badging, gadgets and electronics. (yea yea, I know, denali owners, you have MRC. You don't have to remind me again) So, if you don't think they warrant the price tag, don't spring for it.

If you just want to show off and make people think you have money, then sign the lease and enjoy driving a truck that many people can't afford.

As for the power - you need to press the gas pedal real hard, push through the "click" at the bottom. 99% of those that test drive a 6.2 don't know this. Once you do, it's a whole different truck... research it...been talked about a lot of this board.

As for the power - you need to press the gas pedal real hard, push through the "click" at the bottom. 99% of those that test drive a 6.2 don't know this. Once you do, it's a whole different truck... research it...been talked about a lot of this board.

I get a kick out of you lease guys. Can't commit to 2 years in the highest truck in the line?

As for your "deal-breakers" - You do know that the denali is basically mechanically the same as the lower trim levels with some added badging, gadgets and electronics. (yea yea, I know, denali owners, you have MRC. You don't have to remind me again) So, if you don't think they warrant the price tag, don't spring for it.

If you just want to show off and make people think you have money, then sign the lease and enjoy driving a truck that many people can't afford.

Well said..it costs more so will have more gadgets vs..costing more and there is no difference..lol. But I think more to your point, If you can't afford it, don't buy it...Good advice for any purchase!

I’m surprised you think the interior is that much nicer than the F150. I’ll say it’s certainly nicer than your 2014, those are very “plastic” but with the 2015 F150’s and newer I’d give the nod to the Ford over the Denali. I know you say the new ones are similar to yours, but I disagree. I drove a 2015 Lariat and a 2015 Denali back to back and thought the Lariat had a much nicer interior, which is sad since it's a mid-level trim.

As to the transmission, try driving another one. I drove a 2017 Chevy 1500 LTZ over the weekend. Granted, it had the 5.3 but it also had the 8-speed and the transmission was silky smooth. It was so smooth in fact that it made the truck feel slower than it actually was. I tried to get it to clunk but it never happened. That’s not to say it won’t show up within the next 3,000 miles though.

The lack of vents, keyless entry and push button start aren't deal breakers to me, but it certainly is annoying. Ford offers those for Lariats and above, but this has been hashed out and rehased many times on this forum already.

I haven't driven the 6.2 yet but from everything I've read you must have a dud, or that "click" thing is for real. While the 5.3 is certainly powerful, the 6.2 apparently blows it away.

If you drive another Ford, check out the 2.7 ecoboost. I was impressed with that motor, I'd give it the edge in power over the 5.3 for daily driving. Towing is probably another story though.

Im surprised you think the interior is that much nicer than the F150. Ill say its certainly nicer than your 2014, those are very plastic but with the 2015 F150s and newer Id give the nod to the Ford over the Denali. I know you say the new ones are similar to yours, but I disagree. I drove a 2015 Lariat and a 2015 Denali back to back and thought the Lariat had a much nicer interior, which is sad since it's a mid-level trim.

As to the transmission, try driving another one. I drove a 2017 Chevy 1500 LTZ over the weekend. Granted, it had the 5.3 but it also had the 8-speed and the transmission was silky smooth. It was so smooth in fact that it made the truck feel slower than it actually was. I tried to get it to clunk but it never happened. Thats not to say it wont show up within the next 3,000 miles though.

The lack of vents, keyless entry and push button start aren't deal breakers to me, but it certainly is annoying. Ford offers those for Lariats and above, but this has been hashed out and rehased many times on this forum already.

I haven't driven the 6.2 yet but from everything I've read you must have a dud, or that "click" thing is for real. While the 5.3 is certainly powerful, the 6.2 apparently blows it away.

If you drive another Ford, check out the 2.7 ecoboost. I was impressed with that motor, I'd give it the edge in power over the 5.3 for daily driving. Towing is probably another story though.

I can assure you the click is real lol. I love it!

I'll go with "dud"

The trans shouldn't be doing it Everytime you come to a stop, or fluttering between 1 and 2 ..... Mine has had a clunk ( which sucks) 1st thing in the morning (about 50% of the time)

and then fine the rest of the day.

There is a detent on the pedal about about 3/4 to 7/8 that you need to push past, but it shouldn't be hard to push past either....

Mine also pulls hard all the way to 100

Mine also has the 3.42 rear end.

Trim shouldn't be loose already.

Agreed that for $65000 it should also have some other features. Rear ac etc....

Drive another one and see if it's better,( I think it will be) and report back, please!

It appears that you do not want the Denali. There are a variety of models and manufacturers to accommodate the varying needs and tastes of the consumer. The Denali is an exceptionally fine vehicle and is not lacking in features. It may have a different list of features than another brand.

I was just at the FORD DEALER THE OTHER DAY! All the salesmen outside watching me pull into the lot with a 2016 Sierra SLT! Nobody even came over to talk to me...didn't even budge! It's been years since I stepped foot on a FERD LOT but I just had to touch this Aluminum truck! I went over to the exact middle of the door and pushed it with mu thumb....Then went to my truck knowing how thing the steel sheets have been getting lately and pushed in the exact same spot! I said,"Holy crap and they are selling this" Really on a construction site that we work in it would look like a golf ball!

Seriously just try it and see for yourself! F the FERD bro! Looks are only skin deep!

My advice - do NOT buy a GM truck. I own a Silverado High Country 14. It's a beautiful truck - the Chevy equivalent of the Sierra Denali. And it cost around $60K. But GM has no clue how to treat its customers or make high end vehicles. The latest case in point is a seatbelt recall fix where they have literally instructed their dealers to manually cut into the vehicle's interior trim, leaving an ugly, unsightly mess in their customer vehicles. Ironically, for unsold vehicles, they have a different fix for the same issue, where they replace the entire trim pieces. Typical GM crap - they do not give a damn about their customers. Want to see how bad it is... read this thread http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/190371-happy-with-your-seatbelt-recall-fix/

This is one of a stream of safety recalls on this truck. The paint jobs suck. My less than 3 year old truck has more chips on it than my 8 year old Hyundai Santa Fe. And that has 3x the number of miles on it.

Overall, while GM got a lot of things right, they really do not know how to make a luxury truck. Nor do they know how to treat their customers, in my view.

Archived