05 GMC Sierra 1500 4.3L V6 Spudder, Won't Start, Worked on once, N

Hello All,

I have an ongoing issue I was hoping to get a few opinions on. A few weeks ago my truck started to gradually spudder when I was cruising with the RPMs jumping very slightly when it did. I did not notice it being related to transmission as it was shifting just fine so I figured ignition/timing. The check engine light came on with the error codes p0016 and p0300, camshaft/crankshaft misalignment and multiple misfires, respectively. I needed some brake work done anyway so I took it in to get serviced and they replaced the distributor rotor, cap, wires, sensor and all the coil packs. It worked fine for about a day and then the light came on. I've been working nights on a turnaround the last 2 months and just do not have time to take it in so I waited. About three days after the truck finally just died on the way home. It flashed low oil pressure/low oil level and the pressure dropped to zero as it was dying. I checked all the fluids and for leaks, everything was fine and where it should be. I had it towed to firestone (only thing that was open on the weekend). They quoted me $1300 for a new ECM and new distributor install. My truck is only work $2500-3000 and I'm coming up on paying that for repairs after the last round and this one. They said my ECM was sending commands but not receiving any and the distributor was not sending anything to the ECM.

So my questions, the ECM I can see as being a potential for replacement, but the distributor seems like it would have more tell-tale signs if the gear drive was cracked or worn. They also did not mention anything about the ICM or the timing chain, which to me seem like the most likely culprits here. I really do not want to fork over $1300 only to find out my timing chain is stretched or the gears worn and have to fork over another grand. I'm going in tomorrow to inquire, but any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Archived