2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 engine failure

Its bolted to the engine block and has oil fed to it. Not exactly easy to delete. Pump could fail V4 or V8 as its running all the time and is driven off of its own belt via the crankshaft.

So what would happen if you just take off the belt to the pump?

Would you get any check engine codes?

I'm running in V8 mode all the time; so I would really like to delete the vacuum pump if anyone knows how.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what would happen if you just take off the belt to the pump?

Would you get any check engine codes?

I'm running in V8 mode all the time; so I would really like to delete the vacuum pump if anyone knows how.

Good news! I did some investigating and found at least part of the info you'll need for deleting the pump.

The Corvette LT1 uses an electric pump but the block still has the oil ports for the truck's mechanical pump. There is a GM part number for the oil port plugs.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-v-external-engine/1818314-l83-l93-gen-v-how-kill-vacuum-pump.html

post-129450-0-49534400-1486428112_thumb.jpg

post-129450-0-69987700-1486428092_thumb.jpg

Sounds like there might be a way to convert it over to the Corvette's electric pump setup. Otherwise you'll have to come up with a way to tap into the engine's vacuum and use an aftermarket electric pump to assist it. Good luck. I'll be deleting my vacuum pump this summer.

Sounds like there might be a way to convert it over to the Corvette's electric pump setup. Otherwise you'll have to come up with a way to tap into the engine's vacuum. Good luck. I'll be deleting my vacuum pump this summer.

Thanks, any other information you come across please post.

Also if you ever do get your vacuum pump deleted let me know.

So I read through that link you posted; from what I can tell they are using a 5.3L engine; which is good since that's what I have.

So do you think I could convert to the Corvette electric pump even though I have the 5.3L?

Thanks, any other information you come across please post.

Also if you ever do get your vacuum pump deleted let me know.

So I read through that link you posted; from what I can tell they are using a 5.3L engine; which is good since that's what I have.

So do you think I could convert to the Corvette electric pump even though I have the 5.3L?

The Corvette pump is one option. It appears that the pump is $130, plus you'd need to come up with a vac tube and check valve to connect it to the booster.

Summit makes an all-in-one power brake vacuum pump with integrated limit switches that shut the pump off when it builds enough vacuum. It turns back on when vacuum has dropped below a specific set point.

It's a shame GM didn't just put a screen on the outlet side of the oil passage to prevent debris from going downstream.

Well the vacuum pump is only warrantied to 36k

And the 2016-17 trucks only have a 60k powertrain warranty

That really tell you something; when they dropped the powertrain warranty down to 60k for the 2016-17 model... Redickulous; I've never heard of a manufacturer reducing the powertrain warranty like this.

That's right... another reason to keep my '14. Well I was on the ecoboost F150 forum and all those guys are switching over from electric to belt driven. Same crap. I think i'm going to leave mine. I run a very strong magnetic oil drain plug. I'm hoping the magnet will catch anything before it goes into the engine. And I'll keep an ear out for any noises the pump makes. Early detection is key!

My truck ticks and whines constantly was going to go ahead and tune it but am thinking i may need to take it to the dealer first. I have a feeling the whine has something to do with the multiple displacement oil pump. Have heard the ticking being described as the direct injection system but I think I will at least take it in and have it on papertrail.

Also if I tune out the V4 would I need the vacuum pump for anything else or is it just for the brakes? If thats the case why would it not just be removed and the holes plugged up?

It's just for the brake booster.

I'm not 100% sure on this yet, still researching; but I believe the vacuum pump is the only source of vacuum feeding the brake booster. So if you delete the vacuum pump you'll need to supply another source of vacuum, somewhere from the engine to feed the brake booster. So you can either create new vacuum lines off the engine or possibly also looking in to the electric vacuum pump that is used on the Corvette. At least when the electric vacuum pump fails it won't send metal shavings through the oil as it is not lubricated by the engine oil.

I would much rather get rid of it all together I'll try and look at it this weekend and see what I can figure out. There has to be something pulling vacuum off this motor other than brake booster

Please do. And let us know, I really want to delete this vacuum pump as well, I just don't know how to go about doing it, but it's probably a simple task is you know what to do.

If UPR or another manufacturer made a vac pump delete kit, I bet they'd sell a lot of them!

Archived