2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 engine failure

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not common but it's a matter of when, not if, the vacuum pump fails. It could fail at 20k or 120k miles but it seems to do it with little warning before hand. It doesn't seem worth the risk imo.

Any know what the GMT900's used for a vacuum boost? It wasn't a hydroboost system was it?

I'm pretty sure the GMT900s used vacuum from the engine for the brakes using a plug that was in the back of the intake manifold.

I would much rather do this than anything would like to just pull the whole pump off plug the oil holes and be done. Truck is going to have afm tuned out anyway any connection that throws a light for the vacuum pump not being there could be pluged as well.

I would much rather do this than anything would like to just pull the whole pump off plug the oil holes and be done. Truck is going to have afm tuned out anyway any connection that throws a light for the vacuum pump not being there could be pluged as well.

The real question is who is willing to tap into the back of the manifold, make/mold a custom plug, and run a vacuum line to the brake booster?

i havent looked to hard at this is there no way to pull vacuum from motor without drilling any holes? I know followed a link to where a guy was putting a genv motor in a old camaro I think it was but he was planning on using some kind of valve in the intake for vacuum but never did see anymore about it.

My first choice for Power Brake Vacuum will be the EVAPORATOR/PURGE CONTROL VALVE (Number 36 on the diagram). This is an electronic controlled valve used to allow fuel tank fumes to enter the intake. It is part of the emissions system. Since I am not using this valve I hope to get sufficient vacuum for the brake booster from its port. I won't have my wire harness for 6 weeks, so a test will have to wait. I spoke with Jared at ICT billet and I ordered part number 551359 (LT L83 L86 LT1 Billet Purge Solenoid Delete Plug Evap Block Off Gen V Intake Manifold). My plan is to drill and tap ICTs billet aluminum plug for a 3/8 fitting to run a vacuum line to the booster. As soon as I get it install I will post photos.
Attached Thumbnails
526092d1469643576t-l83-l93-gen-v-how-kil 526093d1469643576t-l83-l93-gen-v-how-kil

found it thats from ls1 tech not sure where that valve is located cant get the picture to blow up on my computer.

Alright I looked at the datalogs from my Autocal on EFI Live. It looks like my lowest manifold pressure was roughly 24 kPa (AFM disabled). Atmospheric pressure is 101 kPa. So 77 kPa is approx 22.7 inHg.

Any advantage of using the purge valve over the PCV barb on the side of the manifold?

Alright I looked at the datalogs from my Autocal on EFI Live. It looks like my lowest manifold pressure was roughly 24 kPa (AFM disabled). Atmospheric pressure is 101 kPa. So 77 kPa is approx 22.7 inHg.

Any advantage of using the purge valve over the PCV barb on the side of the manifold?

i guess i havent thought of the pcv valve the only issue i see with that is with the oil vapors being in the brake booster if im thinking of the correct pvc valve. That said im not 100% sure what the purge control valve even does. just think I remember when the first 5.3s came out and we all thought it was high tech lol

I think I will just keep an ear out for odd noises. I like how quiet my new truck is. I would hope a dying pump would make some noise for a while before it grenades.

It cracks me up when I see people stuck in the middle of the road, wheel fell off. Ball joint failed. Wouldn't you think there was an odd noise for the last several months, play in the wheel or some clue?

Not saying the vacuum pump will give a noise, but I will hope for the best before I spend hundreds on this tinfoil hat procedure.

I have 62000 miles on my sierra. No real issues. What about just replacing the pump with a new one as a preemptive strike? What would that set you back? Is the pump failure as inevitable as it's made it out to be on this thread?

Archived