2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 engine failure

These engines don't make enough vacuum for the brakes, That's why they use pumps for the brake booster

Alright I looked at the datalogs from my Autocal on EFI Live. It looks like my lowest manifold pressure was roughly 24 kPa (AFM disabled). Atmospheric pressure is 101 kPa. So 77 kPa is approx 22.7 inHg.

Any advantage of using the purge valve over the PCV barb on the side of the manifold?

It seems like its gonna make plenty in V8 mode which my truck will forever be stuck in after my dealer appointment on thursday.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this vacuum pump failure has me wondering that this has been my V4 tick all along. I had some serious motor work done already and nothing.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/188701-engine-tick-2015-gmc-sierra-53/?do=findComment&comment=1825622

i'm at 45,000 km of my 60,000 total warranty and 160,000 powertrain

The way you explain that under light load it may be detonation. have you tried running some premium through it to see if it helps any?

It seems like its gonna make plenty in V8 mode which my truck will forever be stuck in after my dealer appointment on thursday.

The dealer won't turn off your AFM system. You're stuck with either tuning the truck to disable it, using a Range AFM disable dongle, or just settling for driving in "M5" or "M7(6?)". You could also do a true AFM delete: new lifters, cam, etc.

The dealer won't turn off your AFM system. You're stuck with either tuning the truck to disable it, using a Range AFM disable dongle, or just settling for driving in "M5" or "M7(6?)". You could also do a true AFM delete: new lifters, cam, etc.

Yea I know the dealer wont i just had a day scheduled already to take it in for the whining motor. But DBR here will be doing all of my tuning very soon.

OK back to the top tuner had to send my OS to EFI live so they could change it tune should be flashed monday morning. AFM will be off for good at that point and ill be looking into a way to get rid of this pump. Anyone know how to tell how much vacuum is required to run the brake system exactly?

OK back to the top tuner had to send my OS to EFI live so they could change it tune should be flashed monday morning. AFM will be off for good at that point and ill be looking into a way to get rid of this pump. Anyone know how to tell how much vacuum is required to run the brake system exactly?

Why not test the vacuum draw of this pump! That would give you your answer. An electrical pump makes way more sense here GM!

Engineering listen up you need to add this improvement, fight this out with "recovery" warranty dept over cost increase vs warranty claims.

Oh yes GM engineering do follow these threads.

Thxs

Not sure if this would be the correct thread for my problem. If not feel free to bump me. I can't figure out how to post a new topic. I have a 2016 silverado with what sounds like detonation occasionally when you start it or take off from a start. The truck will do it everytime it is in park and given a little gas. See YouTube video

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived