So I've been a gun owner for a while, probably a decade now. I started with just a pistol for the range. Last week I ended up buying two new guns for a great deal and realized that my little cabinet is no longer big enough to hold the collection I've gained (10+ long guns).

So it's time for a real safe as I had a very well hidden small cabinet. Personally I want to buy a nice large sturdysafe brand but it is not in the cards right now. Not yet atleast. So I was looking for a small starter safe that as time progressed could then just be used to hold my ammo.

I was looking at one at dicks it's a 36+6. I was wondering what everyone thought of it.

http://m.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=92499036&clickid=prod_cs&recid=prod_PageElement_product_rr_2_1084

I'm not thrilled with the digital lock but it seems to be a large enough safe for now that I can place all my ammo in and guns with ease and room to grow.

What are people's recommend or things to look out for? I don't avidly shoot anymore but I do try once in a while and I have never been shy of adding another one to the collection. So any input would be great.

So I've been a gun owner for a while, probably a decade now. I started with just a pistol for the range. Last week I ended up buying two new guns for a great deal and realized that my little cabinet is no longer big enough to hold the collection I've gained (10+ long guns).

So it's time for a real safe as I had a very well hidden small cabinet. Personally I want to buy a nice large sturdysafe brand but it is not in the cards right now. Not yet atleast. So I was looking for a small starter safe that as time progressed could then just be used to hold my ammo.

I was looking at one at dicks it's a 36+6. I was wondering what everyone thought of it.

http://m.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=92499036&clickid=prod_cs&recid=prod_PageElement_product_rr_2_1084

I'm not thrilled with the digital lock but it seems to be a large enough safe for now that I can place all my ammo in and guns with ease and room to grow.

What are people's recommend or things to look out for? I don't avidly shoot anymore but I do try once in a while and I have never been shy of adding another one to the collection. So any input would be great.

That should work fine. Remember, its just a deterent for the less than professional thief. A pro will be able to get into it.

Also, check out the Costco website. They have a pretty good selection.

http://www.costco.com/hardware-safes.html?ddkey=http:CatalogSearch

I bought a Cabelas when they had a sale, it a rebranded Liberty.

The main thing I had to have was a mechanical dial, not an electronic. I heard too many stories where the electronics failed and three months later they come out to repair the thing to get you access.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I bought a Cabelas when they had a sale, it a rebranded Liberty.

The main thing I had to have was a mechanical dial, not an electronic. I heard too many stories where the electronics failed and three months later they come out to repair the thing to get you access.

My stack on with the keypad came with a Key as well as a backup.

• Like 1

Something to consider when thinking about investing in a lower end safe.

Sent from my REMIX SK1WG using Tapatalk

A heavy safe can't run away easily, can't be broken into easily...but they are also fire resistant.

That non-insulated tin can behind him can be ripped off a wall and carried away (I know, I have one I store ammunition in)...try doing that to a 900# plus safe. Not to mention, that safe will allow all the contents to burn up in all but a mild fire...I keep way more than guns in mine, for fire resistance; if you don't think a house fire can happen to you, please reconsider that thought .

The convenience of a small safe does not equal the safety of a large safe. I will gladly wrestle my fire-resistant safe around for the benefits it provides.

I was not indicating I agree with him, but it is a different mentality. Also, I thought it helped highlight the danger of assuming you can also use your safe for storing ammo with your guns. The OP indicated there was a lack of funds for a nice safe and the intent to just store ammo in whatever was purchased down the road (fireproof safes don't stop the baking effect that can occur in a fire). I personally have a middle of the road gun safe and did some extra work to overcome all of the weaknesses that concerned me. I also store more than guns in mine (not ammo) and that was a consideration for me when choosing my safe size.

Sent from my REMIX SK1WG using Tapatalk

Edited by publicalias