Will downsizing my wheels from 20" to 18" dramatically improve

BlaineC

Just bought a 2014 Yukon XL Denali which comes standard with 20" wheels. Bridgestone Dueler H/L 275/55R20 tires. I'm buying Michelin Defenders right away even though the Bridgestones only have 37,500 miles on them. The ride is just too choppy with these shallow tires. Should I buy 18" wheels to get a much taller sidewall or will just changing to the Michelins be enough?

I personally like the 18" rims better but I also like the bigger side wall look. I also like to get my tires wider then my rims. Because it gives your rim a little protection. Just an opinion. But it will give it and different ride as well.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Just bought a 2014 Yukon XL Denali which comes standard with 20" wheels. Bridgestone Dueler H/L 275/55R20 tires. I'm buying Michelin Defenders right away even though the Bridgestones only have 37,500 miles on them. The ride is just too choppy with these shallow tires. Should I buy 18" wheels to get a much taller sidewall or will just changing to the Michelins be enough?

I have not owned 20 inch wheels but I have switched from OEM tires to Michelin tires on my past few trucks. The difference is always a very noticeable improvement in ride quality. I am confident that if you keep the 20's and switch to Michelin Defenders you will notice a significant improvement. However, I also prefer the look and protection from curb damage from a higher sidewall on a tire. If you are planning to buy new rims anyway, then go with the 18's!

• 4 weeks later...

Just removed the factory 20's and replaced with a set of 'take-off' 17's (but also with BFG K02's, vs stock tire) and i'm finding them to be much less 'harsh' over road cracks, manholes etc etc.

Archived