Vibrating and Shaking

Hi all,

New 2016 Silverado 2500 z71 Ltz extended cab 6.2 v8. Left the dealership with 10 miles on it.

Noticed the steering wheel was not aligned, had to be turned slightly left to go straight from day one.

Had zero issues with it for the first 500 miles on highway or local roads.

Currently have 650 miles on it and notice quite a lot of vibrating and shaking.

There are vibrations in both pedals that randomly pulse through as well as in the steering column. The steering column vibration occurs much less than the pedals. The pedals are almost constant. You can feel it in the brake pedal when stopped at a light but it lessens quite a bit when you switch to neutral.

The entire cab of the truck has quite a vibration that lessens and worsens randomly. At times the entire passenger seat will pulse as well as both doors, whether driving or parked.

Recently I had a small 5x8 open landscaping trailer with a mower on it that I pulled on the highway. The entire truck shook outrageously. Objects in the backseat were being thrown about. It was incredibly dizzying.

Since then, highway travel with and without the trailer has not been as bad, but there is still noticeable shaking at speeds over 60mph, worsening as you climb in speed. Driving this truck when its at its worse makes me dizzy and gives me a headache. I've been dreading driving it lately and I'm in it daily as a landscaper owner/operator.

It also has one of the stiffest rides I've ever experienced. Utterly horrendous on bumpy roads.

It also does some strange things rpm wise, climbing and dropping randomly.

Have yet to take it in to service but fear the worst after reading some horror stories.

Any ideas and thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Really regretting not making the switch to Ford at this point.

• 1 month later...

Z71 optioned trucks come with much stiffer shocks than regular trucks. There are quite a few complaints about harsh rides in the 1/2 ton truck forum. I can imagine that 3/4 ton Z71 trucks would ride even harsher. Swapping the shocks for regular 3/4 ton truck shocks may help some.

I did not realize that you can get a 2500 series with the 6.2 liter engine. Does the engine come with the AFM (active fuel management)?

When I bought my 2500 back in 13, it was completely out of alignment with 2 miles on the ODO. The dealers way of checking the alignment was looking at the front tires and saying they are not worn so it's all good. At that point it has a few hundred miles on it. But I took it to my alignment shop and had it aligned with no issues and it didn't pull. As for the vibrations, go back to the dealer ASAP. It's the only choice you have

HD trucks only come with either 6.0L gas (no AFM thank god) and the 6.6L Duramax diesel. Likely OP is confused and probably has the 6.0.

Doesn't much matter I suppose, OP has only 1 post from a month ago and likely isn't coming back.

Changed out tires, rims,rear ends, driveshafts .nothin fixed my vibration but i just solved my shaking vibrations issues just installed the bilstiens 5100s shocks and ditched my ranchos and guess what my truck is smoooth as glass. The dealer never even thought of shocks. Good luck.

Also bilstien steering damper

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

changed shocks to Bilstein 5100, no change

Bummer, can you tell if the shaking is coming from the front or the back? Can you feel it your hands, on the steering wheel, or in your butt through the seat?

passenger seats shakes pretty good. Just a general shake through out at 68 - 75… right in the meat of a drive. threw on some new tires. no change though the installer said rim bent,? let the fun begin. roughly 8K

I'v recently put on new aftermarket wheels, they balanced nicely, 1 to 4 grams, nothing to outrageous. But I have picked up a vibe that comes and goes on the highway, it'll ride smooth just like stock, then for several miles, a shake from the rear, think it's the right rear. It seems to be a harmonic thing, as it isn't constant at the same speed, comes and goes on cruse control at 70 mph, plus or minus a couple of miles per hour. When it's riding smoothly it's great, right where I want it to be, it's aggravating with new wheels.

Gearheadesw I have the exact issues you're experiencing on my new 2500 Sierra, drives me nuts. I traded my 2015 1500 Silverado because it was doing the same thing. Also had to replace the ring and pinion on my 1500 with 30 miles on it. So disappointed in GM right now almost bought a Ram but couldn't bring myself to do it. This issue has actually caused me stomach pay now for two years.

SMiller what is "frame beaming"

Archived