Does a Range AFM disabler work on a 2017 model?

Does a Range AFM disabler work on a 2017 model? Their website indicates it goes up to 2016. I can't see what should be different... but I think they are overpriced to begin with, so I don't want to shell out the dollars for it if it's a paperweight.

My truck is a 2017 1500 with a 5.3L & 6 speed. I only want it so that custom exhaust won't sound stupid. Had an i2 programmer for my 16 and it won't work on my 17... so I quit with the programmer, I'll stick with plug and play if it is truly that.

Edited by ridersfan

Sorry I cannot answer your question about the range device on a 17 but I was curious as to why you would not buy a hand held tuner so you can do more than just adjust the AFM?

I am using a HyperTech 2.0 part 2000 (314 bones from autoanything) on a 2016 6.2 8spd to set the AFM to only come on above 50mph which gives me the low speed driveability and high speed fuel economy that I am looking for in my truck. Too bad that GM does not allow owners the option to make that adjustment without them having to go aftermarket.

• Like 2

Sorry I cannot answer your question about the range device on a 17 but I was curious as to why you would not buy a hand held tuner so you can do more than just adjust the AFM?

I am using a HyperTech 2.0 part 2000 (314 bones from autoanything) on a 2016 6.2 8spd to set the AFM to only come on above 50mph which gives me the low speed driveability and high speed fuel economy that I am looking for in my truck. Too bad that GM does not allow owners the option to make that adjustment without them having to go aftermarket.

Because I already owned a Diablo Intune I2 tuner for my 2016. When I upgraded to my 2017, it was not recognized. I will not bother dicking around with something like that again if it takes them several months to make subtle changes to make sure their product still works. Done with it all. I trade every year, and if 4-6 months of the year are spent waiting on an aftermarket update... it's not worth the update. I sold my tuner and won't go back.

• Like 1

Because I already owned a Diablo Intune I2 tuner for my 2016. When I upgraded to my 2017, it was not recognized. I will not bother dicking around with something like that again if it takes them several months to make subtle changes to make sure their product still works. Done with it all. I trade every year, and if 4-6 months of the year are spent waiting on an aftermarket update... it's not worth the update. I sold my tuner and won't go back.

Appreciate the response and that makes perfect sense except it does make me extremely curious as to why someone would trade every year for a brand new truck? If there is a cost effective way to do that I might start doing that myself. Do you have a secret formula that you could make non secret to the forum members? We all promise to keep it under our hats man.....

Appreciate the response and that makes perfect sense except it does make me extremely curious as to why someone would trade every year for a brand new truck? If there is a cost effective way to do that I might start doing that myself. Do you have a secret formula that you could make non secret to the forum members? We all promise to keep it under our hats man.....

I'm involved in the dealership so no profit on my deals AND folks in my local town fight over who gets to buy my 10 month old very low mileage trade-ins... so basically I buy at wholesale and trade in at retail... it's win-win for me... but not something that you could take advantage of, sorry.

• 1 month later...

Just installed a Range AFM disabler on my 2016 Silverado 5.3. That arrived this past Friday.

It's still going into V4 mode . Especially when the engine is not under any load ,

I bought directly from range. The software version on the box is 8.0.

I sent them a email regarding this problem and am waiting for a response. I figure I probably won't hear anything today since it's Sunday.

Has anyone else had this problem on a newer truck ???

Gotta say I'm disappointed, If it's not going to lock it in V8 mode full time I'll be sending it back for a refund.

Autonothing sold me a old version even after asking twice if they had the latest version, they flat out lied and said yes, then refused to take care of it after 2 months, it has caused my 16 to not crank and set codes, I hate liars and cheats. Range has it now doing a free upgrade.

I too have had the exact same issue as you with the range device, they sent me the 7.8 version and it worked for a week or so then check engine light so I called them and they sent me version 8.0 saying that would solve my problem I got it Friday and plugged it in and the first time the truck went through gears in went into V4 mode it dosent work at all, so I too emailed them and left a voicemail with the yesturday, I'll let you know if I hear anything and you please do the same...FYI I am running the 7.8 version and so far it's working ok I have aftermarket exhaust and can't stand the helicopter sound haha

• Like 1

I too have had the exact same issue as you with the range device, they sent me the 7.8 version and it worked for a week or so then check engine light so I called them and they sent me version 8.0 saying that would solve my problem I got it Friday and plugged it in and the first time the truck went through gears in went into V4 mode it dosent work at all, so I too emailed them and left a voicemail with the yesturday, I'll let you know if I hear anything and you please do the same...FYI I am running the 7.8 version and so far it's working ok I have aftermarket exhaust and can't stand the helicopter sound haha

Hmmmm.... that's interesting, I took it for another drive and still doing the same thing, going into V4 mode when I'm in 6th gear and take my foot off the pedal to "coast". It is staying in V8 though at lower speeds. I'll be giving them a call sometime tomorrow about it ,unless they contact me first. Hopeing it's a easy fix from them

Thanks for all the comments guys.

I will definitely follow up when I get a answer from them.

Good day all, just a quick update. I got my Range module to finally work yesterday. Not really 100% sure what the problem was. I called Range customer service and spoke to Caitlin about it, she was really helpful. Great customer service so far.

Basically all she had me do was unplug the module, turn all accessories off( radio, heater , etc) plug the module back in. Start the truck, then shut the truck off again and let the module go into sleep mode, ( about 5-10 min) then restart the truck. It was good to go after that and has been working great ever since. I have made numerous stops in the truck and have had to shut down the motor and restarted many times normally without any problems. It's been working every single time now without issue.

I gotta say.... What a huge difference in drivability!! I love this thing!! No more sluggishness and hesitation... and my 6 speed trans seems soooooo much happier, it's not searching for gears anymore and clunking because of the slop in the drivetrain from the hesitation. When I hit the gas, she gets up and goes down the road now. It's running the best it ever has with 11,500 miles on the odometer. I was using M5 when I was able to at lower speeds, but having that 6th gear come in is a game changer. Because of this device I'm finding myself falling in love with my truck all over again. I never really realized just how bad the AFM was hindering my trucks drivability till it was gone.

It's fair to say I can't ever see myself going back to using the AFM ever again, especially at lower speeds. And if for some reason this device should fail, or let me down and not work in my truck for some strange reason, I would probably be more than willing to just get a tune and take a chance on voiding my warranty to delete the AFM that way.... it just drives that much better.

I haven't gotten enough miles on it yet to see how it's gonna effect my gas mileage,( will have to report back on that) but so far it seems about the same as before. In the end I don't really care that much anyway. To me, the trade off for the drivability is more than worth it.

In closing, although it's only been a couple days of using the device for me, and so far no other issues. I would say that if anyone out there is on the fence about trying this device, and you are tired of the sloppy drivability of your newer model truck, and the hesitancy of the transmission looking for a gear because of the AFM . Go for it and give it a try. It really seems to settle my truck down. In my eyes it was money well spent... and I'm glad I went for it, and gave it a try.

• Like 2