Latest addition is the drivers side assist handle...

20161206_090449_zps4gc4oezr.jpg

I'd like to add that handle assist, did you get that part from the dealer or online somewhere?

I'll need to look into that power tailgate opener as well some day.

Your truck is looking great!

• Like 1

I'd like to add that handle assist, did you get that part from the dealer or online somewhere?

I'll need to look into that power tailgate opener as well some day.

Your truck is looking great!

Thanks and I bought it from a GM parts store on eBay!

• Like 1

Thanks and I bought it from a GM parts store on eBay!

Thanks Marv!

I just ordered mine from shopchevyparts, it should be here on Friday...I just hope it comes with the hardware.

Thanks Marv!

I just ordered mine from shopchevyparts, it should be here on Friday...I just hope it comes with the hardware.

You're welcome and it does come with the hardware. One thing to note is the clip that keeps the standard a pillar from becoming a projectile if the airbag deploys was a pain to get off. After I finally got it off I realized there must be a special tool but if you were to stick something slim like a piece of sheet metal under either side of the plastic lip and squeeze together you should be able to release the metal clips.

• Like 1

You're welcome and it does come with the hardware. One thing to note is the clip that keeps the standard a pillar from becoming a projectile if the airbag deploys was a pain to get off. After I finally got it off I realized there must be a special tool but if you were to stick something slim like a piece of sheet metal under either side of the plastic lip and squeeze together you should be able to release the metal clips.

Thank you for the heads up!

Is there an airbag in the A pillar?

Do you have a pic of the clip and it's location?

I thought this would be a slow prying off, but from what you're saying looks like it might be a small challenge here...looking for a piece of sheet metal now.

Thank you for the heads up!

Is there an airbag in the A pillar?

Do you have a pic of the clip and it's location?

I thought this would be a slow prying off, but from what you're saying looks like it might be a small challenge here...looking for a piece of sheet metal now

You're welcome and I can't remember if the airbag actually comes down the a pillar but it is overhead where the pillar meets the headliner. I don't have a pic of the clip installed but here are a couple showing it in the original a pillar. It's a little mangled and already compressed but hopefully you can see where you would need to squeeze it together (the end connected to the a pillar slides off easily)

Message_1484622915965_zpspjtocvrw.jpg

Message_1484622943764_zps2bkmeyrh.jpg

Edited by Marv88

You're welcome and I can't remember if the airbag actually comes down the a pillar but it is overhead where the pillar meets the headliner. I don't have a pic of the clip installed but here are a couple showing it in the original a pillar. It's a little mangled and already compressed but hopefully you can see where you would need to squeeze it together (the end connected to the a pillar slides off easily)

Message_1484622915965_zpspjtocvrw.jpg

Message_1484622943764_zps2bkmeyrh.jpg

Thanks for the pics, at least I now have an idea of what's behind the cover.

I checked my Owner's Manual, and there doesn't seem to be an airbag in the A pillar or above my head, as the Crew Cabs/Dbl Cabs have.

Hopefully I'll get to do this diy on Saturday if all goes well.

Thanks for the pics, at least I now have an idea of what's behind the cover.

I checked my Owner's Manual, and there doesn't seem to be an airbag in the A pillar or above my head, as the Crew Cabs/Dbl Cabs have.

Hopefully I'll get to do this diy on Saturday if all goes well.

You're welcome and my regular cab definitely has an airbag in there!

RDKILL, you do have an airbag there. It comes about one third of the way down the A pillar and the wiring continues further down. I took a good look at mine when I did the grab handle upgrade. Sorry, no pictures.

That clip that Marv88 has documented so well is a challenge. I slipped mine out of the slot in the old A pillar cover after I got the cover loose. That gave me more room to pry the clip from the A pillar itself. You'll see what I'm talking about when you get in there.

Edited by Enough

RDKILL, you do have an airbag there. It comes about one third of the way down the A pillar and the wiring continues further down. I took a good look at mine when I did the grab handle upgrade. Sorry, no pictures.

That clip that Marv88 has documented so well is a challenge. I slipped mine out of the slot in the old A pillar cover after I got the cover loose. That gave me more room to pry the clip from the A pillar itself. You'll see what I'm talking about when you get in there.

Thank you Enough for your input as well.

Looking forward to doing this now just to see what you and Marv88 are talking about...just hope the airbag doesn't go off...then again I'll disconnect the batt.

So do you have an Airbag insignia on the A pillar somewhere showing there's an airbag?

There is a tag on my seat that says "airbag" but nothing on the roof or a pillar. Also, I did some research before doing this and the consensus was you are not in danger of setting the airbag off however you want to be careful not to poke a hole in it.

Edited by Marv88

RDKILL, After reading your post I went out and looked at the original A pillar cover. There is nothing but textured grey plastic from top to bottom. No indication of the presence of an airbag under the cover. That surprised me. I guess we are at the point of expecting airbags everywhere. If you think about it, there is no warning of the airbag in the steering wheel, the passenger side dash, or the passenger side A pillar. Interesting that both of the seat backs do have tags on them that say airbag.

My understanding is that when the ignition is off the airbag sensors are disabled.

RDKILL, After reading your post I went out and looked at the original A pillar cover. There is nothing but textured grey plastic from top to bottom. No indication of the presence of an airbag under the cover. That surprised me. I guess we are at the point of expecting airbags everywhere. If you think about it, there is no warning of the airbag in the steering wheel, the passenger side dash, or the passenger side A pillar. Interesting that both of the seat backs do have tags on them that say airbag.

My understanding is that when the ignition is off the airbag sensors are disabled.

I have a warning sign on my steering wheel just under the icon of the horn, and on the passenger side dash just above the top of the glove box right side, as well as on the overhead console.

My ignition will definitely be off...LOL!

There is a tag on my seat that says "airbag" but nothing on the roof or a pillar. Also, I did some research before doing this and the consensus was you are not in danger of setting the airbag off however you want to be careful not to poke a hole in it.

Thank you for sharing your research, I feel much better about going in there now.

And I got my handle today, and was looking over what I guess they call instruction...just not sure what the instructions were for! A lot of black and white pics with numbers, but no too much detail with words.

Oh well, you and Enough has been a great help, and I'll go with what you two have mentioned.