Service stabiltrak/Traction control, loss of throttle....

Whiteboyz71

Question

Been chasing my tail the last couple weeks trying to figure out why my Service Stabiltrak/Traction control warning is coming on and I'm also getting a loss of throttle I think may be associated with it. The check engine light is not throwing any codes. The warning comes on when the wheel is turned past 180 degrees in either direction, that tells me it's the steering wheel position sensor. I had it scanned & it only tells me there is a short somewhere in the system and is not showing any codes. The service stabiltrak/traction control warning light also clears itself and is off after every time the truck is turned off and it sits for 20min or so or longer then comes back on when the wheel is turned past 180 degrees in either direction again.

You guys think the loss of throttle is associated with the service stabiltrak/traction control warning? The loss of throttle issue always happens after it's been sitting awhile or over night and whenever it wants to anytime in between. The throttle usually picks back up after a few seconds of not trying to give it throttle, but has lasted as long as about a mile or so in some instances. I'm going to order a new steering wheel position sensor and TPS sensor next week and install them myself, I'll update with results.

If the steering sensor clears the Stabiltrak/traction control warning, which I think it will, but the loss of throttle continues with a new TPS sensor and steering sensor, what would your next guesses be? The truck starts and idles fine, so I don't think the crank sensor is bad, but what about the cam position sensor being bad or the throttle pedal sensor being bad with no codes being thrown? I've also tried a different throttle body off a known good motor and still had the same no throttle issue.

So far I've replaced the following:

New ground strap from firewall to front of head (drivers side)

New negative battery cable

New brake light switch

New air bag clock coil spring (seperate problem that is now fixed)

New air bag sensor (drivers side) behind the front bumper (found the case was split and needed replaced anyway)

Thanks for any and all replys.....

4 answers to this question

I replaced the steering position sensor last month and that cleared the Service Stabiltrak/Tracion Control warning. Also done some more reading and from the info I found on a tuner forum, the loss of throttle may be attributed the throttle follower torque values being off. I'll be getting together with the mechanic that tuned my truck soon and mention this to him. He'll need to pull the tune from my PCM to go through it and see if he did make any changes to those values, if so, I'll have him return them to stock and see what happens from there.

Hi,

My 2007 Avalanche got the stabilitrack light and the reduced power /engine light on a highway a few weeks ago and we almost got crushed by a tractor trailor in Davis, WV. Stranded for 2 hrs on a snowy highway 20degrees out as AAA didn't make it. Car started and ran after two hours and we got to a mechanic who ran our code for a TPS failure and abs speed sensor failure. It occurred after accidentally hitting our onstar boutton so we thought that was it. But it happened again this week on highway in the rain. Very dangerous! THis time started and ran after 5 min so we were lucky to get off the highway.

My truck is now at Ourisman Rockville Chevrolet and they diagnose TPS sensor and want big $$. I found service bulletin 11273B whiich acknowledges the TPS safety issue and covers full replacement for this on 2008-2011 Avalanches.after discussing with GM customer service I am quite disappointed that they do not consider this an issue on my vehicle! Same truck, same issue, super hazardous. On-line I see hundreds of posts with this issue. Not to mention they want big $$$ to replace the sensor when an AC delco Throttle body with sensor is $140 from Rock Auto and it is basically four bolts!

Very disappointed with GM right now. Tranny and case blew about two weeks after warranty and GM covered half of it. One thing after another!

Been chasing my tail the last couple weeks trying to figure out why my Service Stabiltrak/Traction control warning is coming on and I'm also getting a loss of throttle I think may be associated with it. The check engine light is not throwing any codes. The warning comes on when the wheel is turned past 180 degrees in either direction, that tells me it's the steering wheel position sensor. I had it scanned & it only tells me there is a short somewhere in the system and is not showing any codes. The service stabiltrak/traction control warning light also clears itself and is off after every time the truck is turned off and it sits for 20min or so or longer then comes back on when the wheel is turned past 180 degrees in either direction again.

You guys think the loss of throttle is associated with the service stabiltrak/traction control warning? The loss of throttle issue always happens after it's been sitting awhile or over night and whenever it wants to anytime in between. The throttle usually picks back up after a few seconds of not trying to give it throttle, but has lasted as long as about a mile or so in some instances. I'm going to order a new steering wheel position sensor and TPS sensor next week and install them myself, I'll update with results.

If the steering sensor clears the Stabiltrak/traction control warning, which I think it will, but the loss of throttle continues with a new TPS sensor and steering sensor, what would your next guesses be? The truck starts and idles fine, so I don't think the crank sensor is bad, but what about the cam position sensor being bad or the throttle pedal sensor being bad with no codes being thrown? I've also tried a different throttle body off a known good motor and still had the same no throttle issue.

So far I've replaced the following:

New ground strap from firewall to front of head (drivers side)

New negative battery cable

New brake light switch

New air bag clock coil spring (seperate problem that is now fixed)

New air bag sensor (drivers side) behind the front bumper (found the case was split and needed replaced anyway)

Thanks for any and all replys.....

Good Afternoon,

We are sorry to learn of the recent concerns that you have been experiencing in regards to your truck. Our team noticed that you are looking for some input from other forum members, so we would like to offer our assistance to you. If you would like, we could take a look at your situation on our end and contact a GM Certified dealership on your behalf. Please send us a private message to us that includes your VIN, mileage, full contact information, and preferred dealer. Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you.

Philip J.

GM Customer Care

Holy Cow! This is a well known and widespread safety issue and I am surprised yet ashamed I dod not research this before buying my Avalanche. Here are 20 plus pages on Edmunds:

https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/5759/gmc/yukon-denali/gmc-yukon-reduced-engine-power-message/p5

I wonder how many people have been killed by this when losing power on the highway?

Archived