New 2016 Tahoe LTZ vibration issue

Hey guys just bought a 2016 Chevy Tahoe LTZ on November 10 and it has been shaking and vibrating at speed above 67mph. I noticed a lot of vibration driving on the way home the first day,so took it back the very next day. The dealer did balancing and gave it back to me but it still vibrated so took it back the next day again. This time dealer kept it for 2 days and replaced 2 tires which could not be balanced and then gave it to me. The truck still had the vibration so I took it back immediately and asked them to look at it. The mechanic acknowledged that vibration is present and said that it is normal and all of them do this. So I test drove an indentical suv and that did not vibrate. So the dealer kept it another few days and are now changing all the tires again. At this point I think there is something wrong with the suv as it has been in the shop for more days than I have driven it. It has only 500 miles and all are due to service advisors's test rides to check for shake. Dealer has been courteous so far but I don't think they have a clue about what is wrong with it.

Any pointers what could be the problem? I am seeing lot of other posts with similar problems on the forums but no resolution so far. Reached out to GM but no replies so far. Very concerned and frustrated with this purchase.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is no extensive test drive. Now that you are stuck with a vibrator, let GM try to fix it. There is no magic bullet. Some are not repairable. Some are. If they can't get yours fixed, push for a buy back or trade it in. It will make your life much easier in the end to dump it for another truck if the vibrations continue. Next time, an over night test drive at speeds up to the limiter are in order to avoid repeating the same mistake.

Unfortunately, the vibration is the worst of the 3 issues to have (vibration, buffeting, booming)

I'd try this, drive to the dealership and go talk to the GM directly ... no anger, no hostility ... just be like, hey man I'm just hoping you can help me out, I love the truck, I love your shop, etc whatever it takes to get him/her to hopefully empathize with your situation ... your goal is to hope GM will let you flip it back to them for another one

So got my truck back on day before thanksgiving. 2 rims and 4 more tires have been replaced (overall 6 tires have been replaced).

On the ride home at speeds upto 70mph there was no vibration, however at speeds above 78mph there's definitely some vibration that can still be felt. Its not as bad as before but its not eliminated completely.

Yesterday, i changed the rims and wheels with a buddy of mine who owns a recent silverado (LT) and has 18" wheels just to see if it's a problem with tires/wheels. I did not feel any vibrations at upto 80mph and ride was smooth. At the same time, my buddy's silverado also did not have any vibrations with the 22's on. So i think this is the combination of magnetic ride shocks and 22" tires which produce the vibrations in the LTZ's. I have also been talking to Chevy however they are unwilling to help until the dealer is trying and fixing the problem (I was asking for a replacement/buyback)

Overall experience to buy a $70k+ suv has been very poor (from dealership as well as manufacturer) and I do expect the experience to be much better at this price. With this experience in mind, most likely, I will not look at a chevy ever again :(

• 1 month later...

All- I am an owner of a 2016 Tahoe LTZ- purchased in October with about 3k miles now. Been experiencing the same buffeting and vibration issues as in the other posts. My LTZ is configured with 22" rims (chrome inserts), Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza 285/45-22 tires, tow package with 2 speed transfer case and 3.42 rear axle. Vehicle has been in for multiple diagnostic sessions. First time, dealer recommended road force balance- result was 3 bad tires that were replaced. This helped but did not eliminate the buffeting and vibration in the seat, steering wheel and cabin (most pronounced at 30-40 MPH and in V4 mode). Went back to dealer a second time- they said there is a Chevy service bulletin on the problem (PIT5404B Buffeting Vibration Droan type noise exhaust) and replaced the exhaust/muffler. Drove out of dealer and got on the highway...buffeting 95% gone but still had vibration at various speeds, most pronounced around 60-70MPH. Third trip to dealer, and they did road force balance and vibration meters on engine and drive train. This resulting in identifying 3 more bad tires that were not within spec (engine and drive train was minimal). Fourth time to dealer to get the 3 tires replaced, and they were only able to replace 2 of the 3 because the third tire could not get within spec. Waiting for the one tire as they are always special order. At this point not sure what to do. Vehicle is going on it's 11th tire this week. The 22" wheels ride hard (you feel everything), but should not account for all the vibration. A buddy has the exact same truck with no issues. I have little confidence that the last tire change will fix the issue, and I'm thinking of either getting off the Bridgestones and going with one of the two Michelin choices (Pirelli is another option), or moving down to 20" rims that were on the 2016 Denali I test drove that did not have any of these issues. Love the size, fit and finish of this truck and don't want to dump it at a loss...wondering if anybody else has switched off the Bridgestones or downgraded rims and seen an improved ride. Not what I was banking on for a truck that lists out at over $72k. Any feedback would be appreciated and good luck to everyone in the same boat as me.

Update as of 1/4/17- dealer replace last tire...in all the vehicle has had 11 tires now in the 3 months I have owned it..Still experiencing mild vibration, most pronounced at speeds of 35-50 mph (but have not had it at highway speed yet). The vibration is too steady and constant to be feedback from the road surface, but is definitely fatiguing. If anyone has tried tire or wheel swap and eliminated the problem, please let me know. The only other guess I would have is the magnetic ride control. Would be interesting if you could disable the feature and see if the problem persists. From what I have read on other posts, the hypothesis is the combination of magnetic ride control and 22" rims is probably the main contributing factor, but it's unclear if the magnetic ride control can be tested. I also wonder if a road force balance would test magnetic ride control and get it into a situation where it would start to vibrate.

You can disable the magnetic ride. Remove the fuse from the appropriate fuse block that supplies power to it. You will get a warning light on the dash, but you can drive it and test.

I did this a couple of years ago, shortly after getting my Yukon. Made no difference to the issues (buffeting, booming and vibration).

I believe my Yukon (2015 XL Denali with 22") has at least two separate vibration issues. There is a low-amplitude vibration always present, that does seem to come and go somewhat, even at constant speed. I believe that is residual wheel-tire unbalance and/or Foad Force that goes in and out of phase between tires at the different corners of the vehicle.

The second vibration is much more pronounced and seems to occur between 60 and 80 kph, especially when going up a grade, with the engine working and lugging at about 1400 rpm. If I lift off the throttle, the vib immediately goes away. There is a slight sound associated with this as well. So, could be exhaust, could be engine, transmission, torque converter, or even rear end gearing.

The other thing to note is that it seems that the low-amplitude vib is slightly worse when the vehicle is in 4WD Auto. In that mode, the front axles and differential are turning with the wheels, even if the road is not slippery and the transfer case is not engaged.

Wrench589- my 2016 Tahoe behaves very similar, but I do not have the 2nd vibration...so I'm thinking that the Bridgestone tires are a major part of the issue as they ride hard and amplify any imperfections in the road, and that seems to trigger the vibrations. I can go over the same stretch of road and get a smooth ride or get the vibration driving at the same speed.

What tires are you running? Again, I have the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza 285/45-22 tires, and I am considering either replacing them with the Michelin Premier LTX, or downgrading to 20" rims and getting the Michelin Premier LTX in 275/55 R20. From the different threads I am on it appears that this will have the biggest impact on ride quality.

What tires are you running? Again, I have the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza 285/45-22 tires, and I am considering either replacing them with the Michelin Premier LTX, or downgrading to 20" rims and getting the Michelin Premier LTX in 275/55 R20. From the different threads I am on it appears that this will have the biggest impact on ride quality.

I have the same tires - Bridgstone Dueler 22". I will,replace with the Michelins when they are worn. Problem is, I'm not wearing them out fast enough as I have a second set of wheels and tires for winter!

Speaking of which, the winter set are Bridgstone Blizzack on aftermarket 20" wheels. Stock 20" size. As snow and ice tires, I would expect a much softer rubber compound. Combined with more sidewall, should ride much better. Well, truth is, they do offer a bit smoother ride. In fact, when I first put them on, the buffeting issue seemed to be almost gone. But now on the second winter, they are not quite as much better as I thought they were initially. Still, they do improve the ride, but by no means do they solve all the ills. So, I'm not expecting miracles from the Michelins, either.

Over on the pickup forum, seems like several folks have had good luck changing or machining true the rear axles. Might be on to something.

Contacted my dealer yesterday. They have a set of factory take-offs- 20" chrome wheels with Continentals (not sure what model), but I assume it's the CrossContact LX20. Going to give them a try for a week and see how they behave, and then make my decision on a tire/wheel combo. Will let you know if they help.

Contacted my dealer yesterday. They have a set of factory take-offs- 20" chrome wheels with Continentals (not sure what model), but I assume it's the CrossContact LX20. Going to give them a try for a week and see how they behave, and then make my decision on a tire/wheel combo. Will let you know if they help.

how did the 20" wheels work out for you. Did it reduce the vibrations? Any positive effect on braking and mpg's?