Transmission/converter vibrations

I have an appointment to take my truck in for some transmission work next week for a vibration that started yesterday. At first it kinda felt like a loose wheel or a tire was going out of balance but throughout the day it got worse. If I'm in 8th gear cruising at any speed about every 20 seconds the whole truck shakes for a couple seconds and at every up shift it shakes when it grabs the next gear. If I run in manual in 7th gear I don't get any shaking at highway speeds just in 8th. Kinda feels like it maybe the torque converter? Anyone else experience anything like this. Truck just turned over 16k miles. Just curious what to expect for repairs if anyone else has had this problem.

I would guess it's more likely something to do with the clutch related to 8th.

The TC would affect all gears/ratios, not just 8th -- or maybe all the ratios that include TC lockup.

Let us know what they find out.

I would guess it's more likely something to do with the clutch related to 8th.

The TC would affect all gears/ratios, not just 8th -- or maybe all the ratios that include TC lockup.

Let us know what they find out.

It does shake in every gear when it upshifts, also when it shakes I notice the tach needle bounce up and down maybe 50 rpms, not enough to hear the engine rpms move but enough to make the tach move.

It is going to be the torque converter causing the issue. My 8 speed was good for 12K miles before it had the same issue. Took it in 1st time and they only reprogramed the Trans which didn't do a thing. 2nd time new torque converter took care of the issue but I feel it coming back.

It is going to be the torque converter causing the issue. My 8 speed was good for 12K miles before it had the same issue. Took it in 1st time and they only reprogramed the Trans which didn't do a thing. 2nd time new torque converter took care of the issue but I feel it coming back.

They didn't tune anything for me, they just replaced the converter and all is well now.

It is the TC. Had the same issue. If it shudders in 8th then you manually put it 7th and it stops it is the TC. It locks up in 8th and unlocks when you go to 7th. They replaced mine and did a software update to match the new TC. Problem gone. I have the stator delay now but that is another issue.

Edited by seamus2154

• 2 years later...