Premium in a 5.3?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You don't need fuel cleaner if you are running a good fuel in there. Top Tier is the best bet. Though you folks who fill up with Chevron get even better additives with the Techron. I really believe in that stuff.

http://www.toptiergas.com/

Good to know. I'm going to cut back on the fuel system cleaner. All I ever run is top tier gas since this is the newest vehicle I've ever owned and I want it to last.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I ran a couple tanks of mid grade and didn't notice a thing. 87 for me.

If you have run nothing but 87 octane since new, I have heard it can take a few tanks for the computer to adjust to the higher octane.

I can say for sure, 100% my truck runs better on 89 than 87. A noticeable difference in power, smoother, more responsive. No placebo effect. This is especially noticeable when towing heavy. Just my observations

If you have run nothing but 87 octane since new, I have heard it can take a few tanks for the computer to adjust to the higher octane.

I can say for sure, 100% my truck runs better on 89 than 87. A noticeable difference in power, smoother, more responsive. No placebo effect. This is especially noticeable when towing heavy. Just my observations

I completely agree. Took a few tanks for the computer to learn and you get a much better running truck with 89.

After running a few tanks of 91 in the truck I am quite impressed. The gas pedal is more responsive and the truck gets up and goes a lot easier. I've also noticed close to a 2 mpg gain with 91.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I use Shell 89 exclusively. Knock on wood, the truck is running excellent at 38k miles. And I'm not sure if it's the placebo effect or what but I swear it runs a little better on 89 than it did on 87 but I never heard any knocking on 87. My wife drives a Hyundai Accent with a high compression 4 cylinder engine and her engine did exhibit some ticking noises on 87 that went away when we switched her to Shell 89 gas.

Unlike vehicles in years past, the on board computer for the newer vehicles does a good job at adjusting various things to take advantage of the higher octane, but only up to a certain point.

I started using the high test fuel in everything. I figure what the hell? I paid a damn arm and leg for a vehicle, if I can afford that much, I can afford an extra few bucks when I fill up. Maybe it helps keep valves clean? Hell, I dunno. Just my opinion, but same thing to me as buying the cheapest oil, tires, brake pads, etc.

I did have to pull one of the heads on another vehicle I've had for almost 20 years. Ran nothing but high test in that one. I was shocked at how clean everything was inside.

I don't notice anything with performance. No change in mileage either. Never said that. Just said I personally think it might burn cleaner and not gum up things in the process. I find it amusing how guys will spend $50k on a truck, then add another $15k of stuff to it, then cheap out at the pump. Worried about saving a few bucks now?

My other vehicle runs pretty rough on 87, but runs fine on 92/93. That's what I run. While I may not notice a difference, I feel that it's probably better to run a higher test in my expensive truck as well. Sure, it will run fine on the cheaper gas, but it's not that much more. Granted, I don't tack on miles like some do, so the added expense isn't as much, but even if I did, I feel it's worth it in the long run.

Again, I do not care about added power or mpg, I run 92/93 because I think it will help keep things cleaner inside the engine over time. Maybe I'm wrong. Just my opinion.

I detect a fair amount of KR when running 87 on my 5.3 (read through my ScanGauge II) Mostly at partial throttle or low RPM increased load situations. Less V4 mode too which seems to be quite octane sensitive. I stick with at least 89 octane.

Here in Colorado we have 85,87, and 91 octane fuel. In this 2012 5.3 truck and my 93 5.7 TBI I run 85 unless towing, then 91. Always Top Tier gas. A tank with fuel system cleaner every 6k miles. Currently using Chevron Techron. :happysad:

They put Ethanol in our gas in the summer it's only 2 to 5% so that fine, but in the winter they jump it to 10%.

Given our engines hate the cold and the millage get worse I found going with 91 with no Ethanol my millage only drops a little 16 to 17 mpg average.

On the 85/87 and the Ethanol 13 to 14 mpg average.

This is in Canada though. I find allot of the US states don't blend in the Ethanol.

Archived