Ordered a whipple! Anyone that's got any tips or insight plea

I totally agree that I should be ok on a stock shaft. A quick search will show my concerns. I even think there is a video as wel of how out thin walled aluminum driveshafts start to "rubber pencil" for lack of a correct term. Its not a power thing because even a stock 5.3 is capable of hitting noodle speed if the limiter is removed.

Also my 6" rear block isn't adding to an very speed friendly angle either, and switching to 1350 joints is allowing me to run some really trick joints.

Trust fund kid...that's my ex wife's brother lol! I grew up in a double wide!!!! Oh and yes SHAME ON GM

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While Chuck knows his stuff, most performance shops fail to understand what the needs of each individual are. All they want is to pull the highest dyno numbers and dont really care about under the curve and midrange tq like what you would want for towing or just day to day driving. They seem to thu k that peak hp and tq are the most important values when upgrading a car/truck.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I couldn't agree more. I think I finally found a shop that is willing from the beginning to tune my supercharger install to my wants. From their perspective I get it. They like showing the ridiculously high numbers they make on their Facebook pages, etc. It shows an appearance of an edge over the competition. I just want a really fun daily driver, not a drag race truck. Nothing against those that do though.

Ok on the engine side I have the following coming or already here: ls7 lash cap,fuel pump gasket and s pipe on hand for while the intake is off. Ls9 map sensor. Caspers iat breakout using ls1 iat sensor. Alky control system. Plx wideband, hptuners, 3.625 pulley, whipple 2.9 kit. 5 gallons Sunoco methanol

PST was dragging their feet getting me a quote so I called up Tom woods and spoke with Carrie. He lined me out with a 4" dom double cardan shaft with solid non greasable spicer joints. I forgot to ask about critical speed and when I called back to do so Mr. Woods himself answered and happily answered the question. He said 4000 rpm which sounds heavenly!

Well I believe I have a bad injector on cyl #1. I'm gonna go ahead and upgrade them all. Anyone know of any options that are better than the lt4's but not as extreme as the lingenfelters?

I see vengeance and livernois have some listed but have no info on them. Guess I'll have to make some calls lol.

Gonna go with a tsp 416 w 20cc dished pistons most likely. They are of course closed for the holidays so I'll catch up with them asap

Edit:

Tom woods driveshaft looks awesome !

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a quick pic of the shaft. It's a heavy joker but should be rigid.

Truck is going in the dealer Thursday hopefully they will fix my motor if not 416 stroker time.

post-153651-0-04371000-1483503232_thumb.jpg

PST was dragging their feet getting me a quote so I called up Tom woods and spoke with Carrie. He lined me out with a 4" dom double cardan shaft with solid non greasable spicer joints. I forgot to ask about critical speed and when I called back to do so Mr. Woods himself answered and happily answered the question. He said 4000 rpm which sounds heavenly!

What gears you have? 4k critical speed seems a bit low for a 6 speed. I'm guessing this isn't carbon fiber either.

I need somewhere to use as a scratchpad and figured this might be entertaining to some.

There are different ways to calculate driveshaft speed but my way is to take tire revs per mile and multiply that by axle ratio. that is ds speed at 60mph

So my 37" tires =560 revs per mile

The axles turn every 3.23 turns of the driveshaft

So at 60mph the driveshaft is at 1808

At 100 it's @3013rpm

At 120 it's 3616

At 150 it's 4520

I don't foresee ever going over 140 on 37's

Hope my math is right lol

Also has anyone else dealt with maryland speed in the last couple of months? I placed my whipple order on the 25 of November and still don't have it. Ordered hp tuners on the 28th and it hasn't shipped yet either. The pricing was too good to pass up though

It took me about 3.5 weeks to get mine shipped, so thats put you at xmas time roughly. Hopefully this week it will ship, call MD speed and ask. They have a good rep on the Vette forum.

What happened with your motor?

How much was that drive shaft?

Archived