Ordered a whipple! Anyone that's got any tips or insight plea

Well. I got the truck towed in today and right off the bat they are giving me grief over my headers of all things.

They state I increased the output of the engine

I told them that wouldn't make a valve hit a piston etc afm known issues etc

Thinking about emailing mary barra.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are forgetting to take into account your transmission gear ratios. Final drive ratio must be multiplied by a given gear ratio in the transmission to determine driveshaft rpm at a determined speed. 4th gear - 1.69x3.23=5.46 5th gear - 1.27x3.23=4.10 6th gear - 1.00x3.23=3.23. If you are doing 60mph in 4th gear you will have a driveshaft rpm of 2974rpm, 60mph in 5th gets you 2235rpm, 1760rpm in 6th at 60mph. I cant remember what gear these 8L90 truck hit 100 but i think it is in the higher end of 5th gear mind you 37's may change that, if i am right you will turn 3725rpm at 100mph in 5th with a 37. You can also use combined trans/final ratios, tire circumfrence and engine rpm to figure out your true road speed. Or just use a GPS ;).

Got this update

WE ARE CURRENTLY INN THE TEAR DOWN DIAGNOSTIC PHASE ON YOUR VEH. WE HAVE TO REMOVE HEAD TO INSPECT

INTERNAL FAULT. UNABLE TO DETERMINE WITH BORE SCOPE. ALL RESULTS AND TEST SPECS WILL TYEN GO TO GM ENGINEERING FOR ANALYSIS. AFTER THAT ENGINEERIG WEIIL TELL US NEXT PHASE OF REPAIR OR DISASSEMBLY BASED ON RESULTS. THERS PROCEDURES WILL TAKE INTO NEXT AS OF NOW.

ANY CHANGES OR PERTINENT UPDATES HAPPEN ILL GIVE YOU A SHOUT OUT.

Sounds a little better to me I'm still worried though

Latest update :)JARED, WE CAN SEE NOTHING FROM ALL TESTS AND SPECS ANALYSIS THAT WOULD LEAD TO AN AFM FAULT.

APPEARD TO BE PURELY A GM COMPONENT FAILURE. AND I DON’T SEE ANY REASON WE DON’T GET OK AND PUT YOU A NEW ENGINE IN SHORTLY. THANKS FOR YOU PATIENCE WHILE WE GO THROUGH THE RED TAPE PROCESS FOR GM.

Archived