Upgrading from '16 1500 Z71 to '16 2500HD, big difference?

So I'm looking at trading my 1500 in for a 2500. I have possible plans to towing down the road, but in all honesty, I want a diesel because I love the power, gas mileage and sound. Yeah, I'm that guy.

Anyway, obviously the big difference in the two is the motor, but is the 6 speed tranny any better in the 2500s? I hate the way this 1500 shifts with the 5.3 and the 6 speed, will this be the same feeling in the 2500? I'm hoping to pick up a leftover 16 here soon, so Ive got my fingers crossed. I just wanted opinions on anyone that's done this upgrade, and if they were happy with the decision (aside from the towing abilities, I know that's a big difference)

Thanks,

Tim

So I'm looking at trading my 1500 in for a 2500. I have possible plans to towing down the road, but in all honesty, I want a diesel because I love the power, gas mileage and sound. Yeah, I'm that guy.

Anyway, obviously the big difference in the two is the motor, but is the 6 speed tranny any better in the 2500s? I hate the way this 1500 shifts with the 5.3 and the 6 speed, will this be the same feeling in the 2500? I'm hoping to pick up a leftover 16 here soon, so Ive got my fingers crossed. I just wanted opinions on anyone that's done this upgrade, and if they were happy with the decision (aside from the towing abilities, I know that's a big difference)

Thanks,

Tim

Transmission is Allison and much better than my 2014 SLT with 6.2. You will love it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allison 6 speed is one of the best transmissions you will ever drive.

The dmax has about twice as much torque as the gas engine, and it has it a low rpm, so in many situations it doesn't need to downshift.

You are trading up to a stiffer suspension. Just know the ride will not be as smooth, or as "comfortable" as the smaller truck is/was. Truck is designed for the heavier duty, and just know the trade off's. Saying that, mine every so often will have a "hard" downshift either from 3-2, or 2-1 not towing, but it does it more often when I am towing (about 9K lbs). From what I have read, it is not uncommon and doesn't hurt the tranny.

Mark

Oh, by the way, it is fun to see the face of the kid in the Honda Civic with the fart can when the old man in the diesel next to him matches or even beats him to the next light..... :driving:

Haha, thanks guys. I just drove one at lunch. Silver '16 2500 LT 4x4, new. They want 51xxx for it before tax, title and doc. Seems okay, but they are offering 32k for my truck, which hurts letting it go for that. Guess I'll have to sleep on it. Have to say, the diesel was super quiet, I could barely hear it from the cockpit with the windows up. I almost want to hear it more, lol.

I traded up from a '14 5.3 1500 to a 16 Duramax. I did it because of the camper we bought, but even empty I love the 2500. I actually prefer the firmer ride of the 2500. I'll never go back to a 1500 at this point.

You are trading up to a stiffer suspension. Just know the ride will not be as smooth, or as "comfortable" as the smaller truck is/was. Truck is designed for the heavier duty, and just know the trade off's. Saying that, mine every so often will have a "hard" downshift either from 3-2, or 2-1 not towing, but it does it more often when I am towing (about 9K lbs). From what I have read, it is not uncommon and doesn't hurt the tranny.

Mark

Oh, by the way, it is fun to see the face of the kid in the Honda Civic with the fart can when the old man in the diesel next to him matches or even beats him to the next light..... :driving:

If it's a Civic Si or Turbo, it will leave the DMax in the dust. Sorry.

Don't forget to get one with tow mirrors.

I love my small mirrors :crackup: My truck has nearly everything I wanted, except the tow mirrors. Argh! Why they put small mirrors on these trucks is beyond me.

OP, what did you decide? IMO if you aren't towing or hauling heavy loads, get a 6.2L.

Tow mirrors are something that I wanted for no particular reason than just because, but never knew how much I'd love them. First truck I've ever had them on.

In fact, at one point in the build it almost looked like they canceled the tows and we're going to put standard mirrors on and I was livid. But it came with them so all was good

i just moved up from a 14LTZ 1500 to a 16LTZ 2500 DMAX. Love it so far. they gave me 35k for my trade (34k miles) and I paid 53500 for a 65500 MSRP truck.

That seems like an awesome trade amount. Where do you live? Most ive been offered for my truck has been 32k!

Archived