2017 Tahoe Premier noise in cabin same as others

All- I am an owner of a 2016 Tahoe LTZ- purchased in October with about 3k miles now. Been experiencing the same buffeting and vibration issues as in the other posts. My LTZ is configured with 22" rims (chrome inserts), Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza 285/45-22 tires, tow package with 2 speed transfer case and 3.42 rear axle. Vehicle has been in for multiple diagnostic sessions. First time, dealer recommended road force balance- result was 3 bad tires that were replaced. This helped but did not eliminate the buffeting and vibration in the seat, steering wheel and cabin (most pronounced at 30-40 MPH and in V4 mode). Went back to dealer a second time- they said there is a Chevy service bulletin on the problem (PIT5404B Buffeting Vibration Droan type noise exhaust) and replaced the exhaust/muffler. Drove out of dealer and got on the highway...buffeting 95% gone but still had vibration at various speeds, most pronounced around 60-70MPH. Third trip to dealer, and they did road force balance and vibration meters on engine and drive train. This resulting in identifying 3 more bad tires that were not within spec (engine and drive train was minimal). Fourth time to dealer to get the 3 tires replaced, and they were only able to replace 2 of the 3 because the third tire could not get within spec. Waiting for the one tire as they are always special order. At this point not sure what to do. Vehicle is going on it's 11th tire this week. The 22" wheels ride hard (you feel everything), but should not account for all the vibration. A buddy has the exact same truck with no issues. I have little confidence that the last tire change will fix the issue, and I'm thinking of either getting off the Bridgestones and going with one of the two Michelin choices (Pirelli is another option), or moving down to 20" rims that were on the 2016 Denali I test drove that did not have any of these issues. Love the size, fit and finish of this truck and don't want to dump it at a loss...wondering if anybody else has switched off the Bridgestones or downgraded rims and seen an improved ride. Not what I was banking on for a truck that lists out at over $72k. Any feedback would be appreciated and good luck to everyone in the same boat as me.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All- I am an owner of a 2016 Tahoe LTZ- purchased in October with about 3k miles now. Been experiencing the same buffeting and vibration issues as in the other posts. My LTZ is configured with 22" rims (chrome inserts), Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza 285/45-22 tires, tow package with 2 speed transfer case and 3.42 rear axle. Vehicle has been in for multiple diagnostic sessions. First time, dealer recommended road force balance- result was 3 bad tires that were replaced. This helped but did not eliminate the buffeting and vibration in the seat, steering wheel and cabin (most pronounced at 30-40 MPH and in V4 mode). Went back to dealer a second time- they said there is a Chevy service bulletin on the problem (PIT5404B Buffeting Vibration Droan type noise exhaust) and replaced the exhaust/muffler. Drove out of dealer and got on the highway...buffeting 95% gone but still had vibration at various speeds, most pronounced around 60-70MPH. Third trip to dealer, and they did road force balance and vibration meters on engine and drive train. This resulting in identifying 3 more bad tires that were not within spec (engine and drive train was minimal). Fourth time to dealer to get the 3 tires replaced, and they were only able to replace 2 of the 3 because the third tire could not get within spec. Waiting for the one tire as they are always special order. At this point not sure what to do. Vehicle is going on it's 11th tire this week. The 22" wheels ride hard (you feel everything), but should not account for all the vibration. A buddy has the exact same truck with no issues. I have little confidence that the last tire change will fix the issue, and I'm thinking of either getting off the Bridgestones and going with one of the two Michelin choices (Pirelli is another option), or moving down to 20" rims that were on the 2016 Denali I test drove that did not have any of these issues. Love the size, fit and finish of this truck and don't want to dump it at a loss...wondering if anybody else has switched off the Bridgestones or downgraded rims and seen an improved ride. Not what I was banking on for a truck that lists out at over $72k. Any feedback would be appreciated and good luck to everyone in the same boat as me.

Posted this one the other thread...

The booming and buffeting are similar, but treated differently.

They are both related to the poor sheet metal on the trucks, hence why GM can't fix it unless they redesign the vehicle.

1) The buffeting is related to the upper sheet metal vibrating due to an imperfect ride. The stiff body mounts contribute to it making the vibrations in the metal harmonic in nature causing the steady buffeting sound at 40 mph and up. The made the body mounts on the 2017 slightly improved, but it didn't help enough to eliminate the issue.

The only fix for this is to isolate the roof sheet metal like some have done by placing inserts under the roof rack cross bars or by reducing the amount of harmonic vibrations into the truck from the wheels/tires through the body mounts to the sheet metal.

This fix has consisted of getting better tires and getting RFB number below 15 lbs.

2) The low speed booming is also a sheet metal issues, but specifically the sheet metal under the truck. Poor roads that have a lot of bumps cause the exhaust to jar up and down making the lower end sheet metal flex creating the boom. The booming is because the interior of the truck is extremely air tight, so you're getting a boom similar to a bass drum.

The fix for this is to reduce the jarring from the exhaust. Hence the dampers/ weights.

This is why the fix also works on 6.2L like FogDuckers and a 5.3L like Ozii's.

3) In addition to this, the 5.3L exhaust's flapper valve is also causing a harmonic vibration due to its location so tight to the underbody sheet metal.

In V4 mode, the flapper adjusts changing the pressure under the cab. That pressure and it's vibration also creates a buffeting sound.

Hence why there's a bulletin for the replacement of the exhaust on the 5.3L. but the buffeting will just return like on Leslie's Yukon.

The only real fix is to drive in M5 or M7 mode to shut off the V4 AFM. Or get a range device to shut off the AFM permanently.

The 6.2L, which is only in a Denali, comes with the Active Noise Cancellation, and the ANC reduces this V4 buffeting, hence why the exhaust replacement only applies to the 5.3L and the testing and repair of the ANC only applies to 6.2L.

There other vibrations on the trucks, but they are on a case by case basis, such as on FogDuckers rear axle.

But all in all, this is all caused by lighter weight sheet metal that flexes more tham usual, and was installed for the purposes of saving gas.

The real fix won't come until a design refresh.

And every Yukon and Suburban and Escalade has the same issues. On some it's not as bad and for others, it just doesn't bother them as much.

In your case, the 22s are too larger for the excessively stiff Brickstone Duelers.

If you plan on keeping the 22s, I'd look at replacing the Brickstone with Michelin Premier LTX tires. This should reduce buffeting and the vibration by a lot.

But ultimately, you should look at getting 20s with the Michelins.

If you still have vibrations after that, it's in your drive line or axle.

SierraMyst- Thank you for the comprehensive response! Very helpful.

I would like to keep the 22's as they look great. With those, upgrading to the Michelin's would be my choice. But if that won't eliminate the vibration completely, then 20" rims and Michelin's would be the appropriate route to take. The dealer already opened a case with GM, and currently all tires are below 15 for RFB (noting the spec is currently 18- that's why they went through 11 tires). The dealer has been pretty good so far, so maybe I can get them to cover one of these two options, and maybe test the vehicle w 20" rims before going forward. Probably doesn't help that I'm outside Boston and temps are at/near freezing and making the tires stiffer and creating more road imperfections.

I guess the other steps would be to ask the dealer to replace the body mounts with the upgraded units. I do not have the roof rack cross members installed, but if that helps I'll buy them and install blocks between them and the roof.My exhaust has already been replaced per the bulletin, so nothing to do there, and the dealer already took vibration readings on the engine and drive train, and those readings were minimal.

Can I ask where/how you ended up with all this information? I suspect you may have gone through the same thing. If so, sorry to hear...but thanks for all the data.

SierraMyst- Thank you for the comprehensive response! Very helpful.

I would like to keep the 22's as they look great. With those, upgrading to the Michelin's would be my choice. But if that won't eliminate the vibration completely, then 20" rims and Michelin's would be the appropriate route to take. The dealer already opened a case with GM, and currently all tires are below 15 for RFB (noting the spec is currently 18- that's why they went through 11 tires). The dealer has been pretty good so far, so maybe I can get them to cover one of these two options, and maybe test the vehicle w 20" rims before going forward. Probably doesn't help that I'm outside Boston and temps are at/near freezing and making the tires stiffer and creating more road imperfections.

I guess the other steps would be to ask the dealer to replace the body mounts with the upgraded units. I do not have the roof rack cross members installed, but if that helps I'll buy them and install blocks between them and the roof.My exhaust has already been replaced per the bulletin, so nothing to do there, and the dealer already took vibration readings on the engine and drive train, and those readings were minimal.

Can I ask where/how you ended up with all this information? I suspect you may have gone through the same thing. If so, sorry to hear...but thanks for all the data.

They'll never admit that there's new body mounts, just like they don't admit that there's dampers for the exhaust.

I'd start with replacing your tires with Michelins Premiers on the 22s.

They should RFB to 10lbs or below. This will fix the buffeting and reduce the vibration greatly.

Is the vibrations do reduce, you can assume it was the tires and any remaining vibrations are related to the 22s.

At that point you can decide if you keep the 22s and mild vibration attributed to road harshness and smaller sidewalls or if you'd want to eliminate it completely by going to 20s.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the low speed booming is just the nature of these trucks. I have yet to ride in one that didn't have the low speed booming.

You hit the nail on the head ! In ONE OF SEVERAL meetings I've had with GM field engineers, they have flat out told me "they ALL DO IT" some are just worse then others. The same goes with people. Some are more sensitive and tuned into it.

It booming and buffeting drives me CRAZY, my wife cant hear it...

We are having the THIRD one now lemon lawed.

Edited by TOBTEK

You hit the nail on the head ! In ONE OF SEVERAL meetings I've had with GM field engineers, they have flat out told me "they ALL DO IT" some are just worse then others. The same goes with people. Some are more sensitive and tuned into it.

It booming and buffeting drives me CRAZY, my wife cant hear it...

We are having the THIRD one now lemon lawed.

Third? That's terrible. At least you're getting them replaced and not the run around.

Third? That's terrible. At least you're getting them replaced and not the run around.

LOL..... That's funny! All GM has been doing for over two years is give us the run around! I USED TO BE A GM CHEERLEADER. previous sales manager at a Chevrolet dealership. And this has been the worst two years dealing with these over priced, UNTESTED vehicles.

There will be no replacement ! We bought a new Toyota Land cruiser. The L/C doesn't look nearly as good as the EscalPILE, but it rides like a dream, not like a tank. Its super quiet, doesn't have any of the booming or buffeting issues.

What a shame GM can't get this right. We tried to make it work for over two years and Countless unsuccessful service visits. "IF" GM truly knows what the problem is, must cost less to give all of us the run around then to simply fix it at the assembly line ?????

Here's the latest for me. Took my buddies 2016 Tahoe LTZ out that is equipped identical to mine, but has no vibration. Test drove it for a while. and the only noticeable difference was that his tires were inflated to 31-32 lbs (versus the 35 lbs recommended on the door frame sticker). Noting that difference, and that my vibration problem went away when I switched to 20" rims with Continental 275/55-20 tires, I decided to contact Bridgestone regarding the Dueler 22" tires and spoke to their technical support. They informed me that at 35 lbs pressure, each Dueler 22" tire supports 2,337 lbs of load, for a total GVW of 9,348 lbs. As the Tahoe LTZ has a GVW of 7,300 lbs (which factors about 1400 lb for fuel, passengers, cargo, etc), he started doing the math regarding load ratings at various tire pressure levels. Bottom line is that the tire has an operating range of about 26-45 lbs of pressure, and if you inflate them to 29 lbs, it has a working load of 2,077 lbs per tire, for a GVW of 8,308 lbs, which is still 1,000 over the GVW of the Tahoe.

With that data, I put the 22" rims back on and aired down to 30 lbs of pressure. What a difference in ride quality- huge improvement and no vibration and less chattering over bumps at speeds between 25-45 mph. Took the vehicle out on the highway and got it up to 75-85 mph with smooth ride and no vibration. Got as fast as 93 and no issues. Outside temp was about 45 degrees...running it up to speed on the highway brought tire pressure by 2 lbs (to 32 lbs), but it came down to 30 lbs when cold. Overall, I am pretty happy with the current ride now with the 22" rims as it maintains the handling characteristics with less road feel and chatter. I'm going to play around with the pressure a little more and see how the vehicle behaves, and will report back to the service manager at my dealer.The only investment here was a TPMS relearn tool for about $45 on ebay, which I'll need if I swap back and forth or rotate tires. Overall, I'm pretty happy now as this is the $70k+ truck I thought I was buying. Let me know if anyone else has similar results. Good luck.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Man, I'm glad I found this thread. Wife took a test drive in one yesterday and mentioned this noise. I thought she was crazy and I drove it today and man I would be pissed if i hadn't noticed it until after handing over close to $70k

• 2 months later...

Folks,

I test drove both a '17 and '18.

I 1st test drove a Yukon XL '17 about 2 months ago and my wife an I both heard the vacuum/buffeting sound.  It sounded like one back window was cracked and causing a vacuum.  The salesman true to form couldn't hear anything.  Even my kids asked what that sound was.  Simple search and I found the Denali '15 forum and was vindicated.  I have an '08 Tahoe now that I truly love and was really disappointed, but thankful that y'all took the time to post and discuss this issue.  I held off on my purchase, I have an inner ear disorder already and didn't want to take the chance.  

I just test drove a Yukon XL '18 and did not hear the same buffeting sound.  The Denali had 22's with Bridgestone if that helps.  I'm hoping they finally fixed this issue, but will test drive a couple more to see if it's consistently fixed or not.  I just wanted to pass this along since y'all have been so forthcoming with the issue and really helped a lot of consumers.    Some folks mentioned issues after a couple of thousand miles, I really hope that's not the case.  To be honest, I think my 9 year old Tahoe is still quieter than the new Denali, but we've outgrown it and need more space.

Edited by Sean_Denver

• 2 months later...

Just bought a 2017 Tahoe and have the same issues with 'buffeting' and 'booming'.  Took it back right away and they said tires (22") are fine but did change the muffler due to the bulletin.  Thought it was in my head because nobody else noticed it.  After reading these posts it clearly is an issue and I cringe every time we go somewhere now.

I am going to sit down with the dealer this week and present the fixes listed in this thread to him.  Somethings got to change or I'm going to go crazy sitting in my $70K vehicle any longer and probably trade it off for something else.  Here are the fixes presented so far:

-Change to 20" Michelin tires

-RFB down to 10

-Exhaust dampeners and/or weights

-Shut off AFM

-Put roof cross bars on and jam inserts in between them and the roof (not real fired up about that option)

Any others I may have missed?

I tried the 22" rims and went down to 30 PSI which did help the vibrations but I don't think helped the buffeting.  Nor did the muffler replacement