Brakes not releasing

John08Silverado

Question

I have a 2008 Silverado 1500, 5.3L. For about a month now I have noticed that my brakes aren't completely releasing when I start driving. My pads and rotors are in good condition and my brakes aren't completely locking up, but they squeak alot now and I can feel like I have to power through the brakes for the first few seconds after I let off. I am not a mechanic but I can tell something isn't right. Any advice or possible fixes would be appreciated.

6 answers to this question

Gotta love it. GM is great at taking designs that worked for over 7 decades, and creating new and improved problems that defy all logic. Odd symptom, for sure.

Possibly dirty, contaminated brake fluid - guess it wouldn't hurt to flush the system, especially if that's OEM fluid in there. Maybe a hose or 2 that's momentarily collapsing ... sticky master cylinder ....

Could be any one, or all of the above.

I've got a 30 year old Grand Marquis that's still running the original calipers. Had one hang up on me once - flushed the system front to back, pressed the piston back into the caliper, reinstalled, and pumped the brakes up. Haven't had a problem since - that was 2 years ago. I'm pretty sure the fluid was over 10 years old too. They sure don't build anything like they used to ...

I have a 2008 Silverado 1500, 5.3L. For about a month now I have noticed that my brakes aren't completely releasing when I start driving. My pads and rotors are in good condition and my brakes aren't completely locking up, but they squeak alot now and I can feel like I have to power through the brakes for the first few seconds after I let off. I am not a mechanic but I can tell something isn't right. Any advice or possible fixes would be appreciated.

Good Morning John08Silverado,

We are sorry to learn of your recent concern and we certainly recognize any displeasure that may be present. Our team would like to take a look into your situation and get you in touch with a GM Certified dealership. To do so, please send us a private message. Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you.

Philip J.

GM Customer Care

Thank you for the advice y'all, unfortunately I will have to take it to a dealer because I just moved to a new area and don't know any good mechanics around. I tried sorting through some do it yourself videos but I'm just not mechanically inclined. This is my only mode of transportation and can't afford to screw anything up.

Dealer is the last place I'd take an '08. Honestly, I'd rather take my chances at a small, private garage than go to a dealer - the nickname "stealership" is there for a reason. Just MHO - it's your money.

Check out the guy's bill in the other thread about the heated/cooled seats, for an example.

Archived