Heated cooled seats

Willborio

Question

Here is the problem. I'm $1200 into getting my heated and cooled seats working. It's been at the chevy garage for 2 days. New climate control module under the passenger seat and new memory seat module under the driver seat. They told me they are not getting the signal from the msm under the driver seat to the CCM underthe passenger seat. The said they checked all the grounds and even the pcm to verify that. They have no idea what's going on. So this far I'm 700 into labor and 500 into parts. What do I do next?

09 avalanche ltz is the vehicle

Maybe find another shop and get another opinion? Honestly if it was me and I was 1,200$ in on repairs I would probably persue the problem till it was completely repaired if at all possible. I would have a tough time swallowing the fact that they still don't work after putting that much money into it.

Here is the problem. I'm $1200 into getting my heated and cooled seats working. It's been at the chevy garage for 2 days. New climate control module under the passenger seat and new memory seat module under the driver seat. They told me they are not getting the signal from the msm under the driver seat to the CCM underthe passenger seat. The said they checked all the grounds and even the pcm to verify that. They have no idea what's going on. So this far I'm 700 into labor and 500 into parts. What do I do next?

09 avalanche ltz is the vehicle

Good Morning Willborio,

We are sorry to hear of the current concern with your Avalanche and we certainly recognize any frustration that may be present. Our team would be more than happy to reach out to your dealership on your behalf to discuss this situation and provide you with an additional layer of assistance. If this is something that interests you, please send us a private message so that we may get started. Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you.

Philip J.

GM Customer Care

Stay away from dealerships! :banghead: They are money-sucking machines! Dealerships are good for warranty work - that's it! They even screw that up more times than I can count ...

Find a local, small shop that specializes in diagnostic work and has a good reputation. A competent tech could've had that system up and running for 6x less than what you've paid.

Most recent update. Both modules were burnt for the heated seats. Both had been replaced. The problem was the original tech that worked on it "missed" the other burnt wires. The man looked at it now my ass gets hot. All good and knocked a hundred off. Which still ended up being 650 in labor.

Yea I had no intention to get that high on price. The original 650 was manageable. Next thing I know if I back out I'm out 650 and nothing. Then they found the problem for 550 more I'm like we'll we are this far in yea fix it. Now they still don't have an answer. And people put 2k into add on's on a truck 10 years old that do nothing for resale value. At least the seats are something I get to enjoy besides looking at them. Lol

Ok. Hope this helps. On the 2008-2013 models with heated/cooled seat option the seats (bottom) have a fan/heater module held on by 4 10mm nuts. This can be removed by elevating the seat to it highest position and using a 1/4" socket wrench. Pretty easy job :)

Seat Heater

If the vehicle has just heated seats, then the seat heater is a mat that is glued to the seat cushion. Its best to remove the entire seat and just un-clip the seat cover, peel the heated mat off the cushion and re-glue the new one with some 3m spray adhesive.
Steps to take on repairing a vehicle with a heated/cooled seats with seat heater problem.
Step ONE- unplug all plugs under both seats and inspect terminals for burnt terminals. After inspection plug them back in secure of coarse. If you find a burnt one, then repair or replace the entire harness.
Step TWO- Check to see if the heater is working, you might have had a loose connection. If not got to step three.
Step THREE- if all terminals look good then replace the seat fan/heater (if vehicle has heated/cooled seats $200.00 gm part) or heating pad (if vehicle has heated seats only $100.00 gm part).
This process has worked for me on the past 5 units I have repaired. Let me know if this was any help.

Damn, I'd hold them to the $650 they originally quoted for the seats to work. I bought my last truck, used, from the dealer...they quoted me $375 to add heated seats. They had major issues with getting them programmed to the truck's computer...when I picked it up, the salesman told me had he known it would take so long, he would have charged me more...said he lost his ass having two guys spend 12 hours on it. Sucks to be him.

I would have a great deal of trouble paying that much. Tell them either $650 for them to work, or they can undo whatever they did and you pay nothing.

At the end of the day, somebody won't be happy.

Damn, I'd hold them to the $650 they originally quoted for the seats to work. I bought my last truck, used, from the dealer...they quoted me $375 to add heated seats. They had major issues with getting them programmed to the truck's computer...when I picked it up, the salesman told me had he known it would take so long, he would have charged me more...said he lost his ass having two guys spend 12 hours on it. Sucks to be him.

I would have a great deal of trouble paying that much. Tell them either $650 for them to work, or they can undo whatever they did and you pay nothing.

At the end of the day, somebody won't be happy.

Yea I was a little pissed when the part they knew was the problem wasn't. I could have a a brand new system put in for this price and labor. Since I already have the seats. They could have rewired the entire system for this price. I'm heading there in a bit. I'll probably have them stop. And use my refund for the updated remote start system since my range is currently 25ft. Yes that's ft. If I knew it was gonna go like this I would have gone that route in the first place and not waisted the time and money on the seats.

Sounds like you have found a pretty BAD service department. I would be taking the GM rep up on their offer immediately. It actually helps GM to know which of their dealerships have incompetent service departments so they can take action and make changes that protect their customers......................... Good Luck Man

Sounds like you have found a pretty BAD service department. I would be taking the GM rep up on their offer immediately. It actually helps GM to know which of their dealerships have incompetent service departments so they can take action and make changes that protect their customers......................... Good Luck Man

What's messed up is they have another electronics guy that has worked on things for me before. The other one seems to know what he's doing. This guy seems like they put him there as the other guys backup. The good one hasn't been there while I was. So idk if he was off or what.

So an update. I went and talk to them. The tech that knows electronics is gonna look at it today. As far as a refund on parts I was told no to electronics they won't refund them. Even though their tech who played multiple choice and guessed is the reason for these parts being replaced. How can a customer that puts their faith in a competent garage be on the hook for parts that were used because their tech guessed those were the problems. After today I could be out 1200 and not have working seat heaters. If this is how gm garages are going to operate they will never see me in one again.

So an update. I went and talk to them. The tech that knows electronics is gonna look at it today. As far as a refund on parts I was told no to electronics they won't refund them. Even though their tech who played multiple choice and guessed is the reason for these parts being replaced. How can a customer that puts their faith in a competent garage be on the hook for parts that were used because their tech guessed those were the problems. After today I could be out 1200 and not have working seat heaters. If this is how gm garages are going to operate they will never see me in one again.

While it's nice that the competent guy will work on your vehicle, not your fault the other isn't properly trained or had adequate supervision. I'd have a nice, but firm, chat with the owner of the place...explain the situation and allow him to problem solve. Can't hurt any.

Yeah, people need to speak up about things like this. That's nothing short of outright THEFT.

I'd hazard a guess that a large percentage of GM's (and other's) revenue stream is from selling parts that aren't even needed.

Yea once they are done I'm going to have a talk with the service manager about this. It is NOT acceptable in anyway to force a customer to pay for the incompetence of the garage and there inability to fix problems. I have never been this mad about something like this. There is no excuse. My original estimate with the diagnostic was 700. 500 later no answers and then tell the costumer you will have to eat both labor and parts costs that did nothing to fix a problem.

Archived