Intake manifold swap?

Difference when tunes from v4 to v8 is barley noticeable. Buddy of mine is on 22" reps with 34" Nitto Terra Graps, LT headers, corsa cat back, corsa intake and tune with the 6.2L and he gets about 19-21mpg highway. He said no difference from when he had v4 or not. Also the older model 5.3s with AFM had issues with the lifters collapsing due to constant shutting off of 4 cylinders. That's why everyone recommends a tune and shutting it off via tune tonprolong the life of the lifters. So far no issues with the 14* trucks yet that I've heard but haven't really seen anyone get over 100k either. I also have the aFe momentum GT and love it. I do recommend you get a closed/sealed intake box vs the open box cause studies show the open box has higher IATs. I know you said it's a truck and you like loud but straight headers out is obnoxious. The same guy mentioned above with the LTs (with high flow cats) and a corsa exhaust could be heard pretty far away. (At least 1/8 mile). Here's a couple links to the corsa and headers with LTs and high flow cats. Keep in mind these are all the 6.2 with American racing headers and cats. Imagine how loud timeouts be straight headers haha

Regarding the Intake I that an open setup will only have increased IAT's. I'm still running the stock box with an aftermarket filter and the AirRaid MIT tube. I'm considering if it's beneficial to keep the stock box and cut a hole for more air to come in from the side as I've seen on another forum. Have to look it up again. I already ordered my L86 intake manifold and waiting for the LT1 throttle body to come out. I heard it's larger than the L86 but we'll see. Anything larger than that will be a waste since I'm not going with a cam or force induction.

Regarding the exhaust that I have now is pure stock except for cutting it after the mid (3rd) resonator and running a straight pipe curved to point out the side before the rear tire as opposed to out the back. Check my profile for pictures. It was very basic but loved the results from it.... I want to go with LTs and a 3 inch IN/OUT offroad Y-pipe and replace the 3rd resonator with a muffler and keep the rest the same after the muffler.

I've definitely heard plenty about valve failure due to the constant shutting off and coming back on of the V4 mode. I will get a tuner for when I get the LTs and Y-pipe installed.

I've been reading that DiabloSport is the way to go for a tune. Opinions ???

What do you mean you are waiting for the LT1 throttle body come out? You can but from my research stock intake box is good for close to 450-500hp before it becomes a restrictive factor. Your MIT tube and drop in is plenty for a bolt on application. Chuck Anders of HHP did a video and stockintake to an aFe open box intake picked up about 5hp tuned. If spending $300 for another intake on top of your MIT tube to pick up 5-10hp is worth it then go for it. I personally wouldn't.

DO NOT GO WITH DIABLO/DIABLEW OR BLACK BEAR. Much better tuners out there. Your profile name has miami in it which leads me to believe you live in miami and you're an hr-hr and half south of me or so. There are a few local tuners who will blow any of those guys away. Check out Redline Motorsports, Lashway Motorsports, or Pela Motorsports. Lashway will do a full ecm/tcm dyno tune and i believe Redline does also (not sure if they do it on dyno though). Lashway is in Oakland Park and Redline is in Pompano. Pela is in Jupiter and does a custom street tune (much better for a dd imo). Also there are a few guys out there like Chuck Anders at HHP (Houston House of Power) and Roadkill Cantu who will remote tune and have many positive reviews and they know how to wake your truck up big time.

What do you mean you are waiting for the LT1 throttle body come out? You can but from my research stock intake box is good for close to 450-500hp before it becomes a restrictive factor. Your MIT tube and drop in is plenty for a bolt on application. Chuck Anders of HHP did a video and stockintake to an aFe open box intake picked up about 5hp tuned. If spending $300 for another intake on top of your MIT tube to pick up 5-10hp is worth it then go for it. I personally wouldn't.

DO NOT GO WITH DIABLO/DIABLEW OR BLACK BEAR. Much better tuners out there. Your profile name has miami in it which leads me to believe you live in miami and you're an hr-hr and half south of me or so. There are a few local tuners who will blow any of those guys away. Check out Redline Motorsports, Lashway Motorsports, or Pela Motorsports. Lashway will do a full ecm/tcm dyno tune and i believe Redline does also (not sure if they do it on dyno though). Lashway is in Oakland Park and Redline is in Pompano. Pela is in Jupiter and does a custom street tune (much better for a dd imo). Also there are a few guys out there like Chuck Anders at HHP (Houston House of Power) and Roadkill Cantu who will remote tune and have many positive reviews and they know how to wake your truck up big time.

Regarding the air intake....I'm happy with the intake setup that I have now but if I can improve it with what I have already then I will.

2. LT1 TB.... I didn't know you had that for sale. Fantastic, let me know how I can get it.

3. Tuner..... Thanks for the info. I will look into those guys. Yes this is my daily driver until I get something else.

Thanks

Regarding the air intake....I'm happy with the intake setup that I have now but if I can improve it with what I have already then I will.

2. LT1 TB.... I didn't know you had that for sale. Fantastic, let me know how I can get it.

3. Tuner..... Thanks for the info. I will look into those guys. Yes this is my daily driver until I get something else.

Thanks

Your intake set up currently is no different than my aFe Momentum GT setup, even with a tune your setup is optimal. I did mine simply for asthetics cause I hate the way they factory intake box looks.

I dont have one for sale but you can purchase one from gmpartsdirect.com. Both the intake manifold, LT1 throttle body, and throttle body gasket are all available on their site for purchase and total comes out to $264 with shipping. I think there are a few other places that sell it for the same or a little cheaper.

No problem on the tuner info. I sent you a private message as well.

• Like 1

Your intake set up currently is no different than my aFe Momentum GT setup, even with a tune your setup is optimal. I did mine simply for asthetics cause I hate the way they factory intake box looks.

I dont have one for sale but you can purchase one from gmpartsdirect.com. Both the intake manifold, LT1 throttle body, and throttle body gasket are all available on their site for purchase and total comes out to $264 with shipping. I think there are a few other places that sell it for the same or a little cheaper.

I also read that the hose connections on the L83 and L86 manifolds aren't the same. That a different length hose would be necessary because they hook up at different points. I'm planning on installing a catch can anyways so I'll have to wait and see. Otherwise I'll go to a local auto store and buy 3/8 ID fuel line plus clamps and measure what I need to make everything work. I don't want to hook up the catch can where the 2nd battery would go because I want to install a second battery. I'll figure out another location.

Here's a thought regarding the air intake.

1. I never cared how mine looked aesthetically, only cared that it did it's job optimally. I want to do things the easiest and most beneficial way without spending a ton. Not going to pay someone to do labor that I can easily do myself.

2. I've seen this custom "make your own air intake setup kit" with different size tubing with angled bends and a filter. Basically a build your own kit. I like the idea of it and since I'm increasing the size of my throttle body I've begun to give it some considerable thought to maximize air flow. Now if the current intake setup I have now is big enough then there's no point, but if I can install a larger intake that produce more optimal air flow then I'll seriously consider it.

3. Also I'm starting to think that since my AirRaid MIT tube couplings won't fit the larger throttle body. It was a nice snug fit just to get it on my L83 throttle body but with a larger LT1 unit, I'm starting to have thoughts regarding that possibility.

I also read that the hose connections on the L83 and L86 manifolds aren't the same. That a different length hose would be necessary because they hook up at different points. I'm planning on installing a catch can anyways so I'll have to wait and see. Otherwise I'll go to a local auto store and buy 3/8 ID fuel line plus clamps and measure what I need to make everything work. I don't want to hook up the catch can where the 2nd battery would go because I want to install a second battery. I'll figure out another location.

Some people use the bolt on the brake booster to mount them. As for the hose connections I haven't heard of any issues cause most people I know that have done it have done a catch can anyways so no need.

As for the intake, stock box with the Tube is fine for what your goals are. The coupler is different. I would call airaid and just say you didn't realize the throttle body was different and you bought the wrong one. How much for the 6.2 intake to tb coupler. My aFe intake being a full replacement came with both couplers. would have thought yours would have as well being the airaid MiT and the tune is the same for both 5.3 and 6.2

• Like 1

Some people use the bolt on the brake booster to mount them. As for the hose connections I haven't heard of any issues cause most people I know that have done it have done a catch can anyways so no need.

As for the intake, stock box with the Tube is fine for what your goals are. The coupler is different. I would call airaid and just say you didn't realize the throttle body was different and you bought the wrong one. How much for the 6.2 intake to tb coupler. My aFe intake being a full replacement came with both couplers. would have thought yours would have as well being the airaid MiT and the tune is the same for both 5.3 and 6.2

I like that idea of bolting it to the brake booster.

Regarding the tube being the same I'm assuming it would be but the couplers would be different since the 6.2 has a larger opening. Again these are my thoughts only.

Right now I'm running stock headers and cats with the mid resonator and chopped off everything before the big muffler and running the exhaust tip out right before the rear tire. So it is much louder than stock that is for sure. I want as much flow as possible and if it's going to be that ridiculously loud then I'll add a muffler somewhere in the middle.

I have two mufflers on my single exhaust and it's still too friggen loud!

RT

I have two mufflers on my single exhaust and it's still too friggen loud!

RT

My plan is LTs to 3 inch offroad Y-pipe to 3.5inch pipe to 3.5 IN/OUT muffler and out the same location or point it down.

I want to add power steps but when I called the company they told me that they don't offer for the Double Cab only for the Crew Cab which I found to be stupid as hell. They said that I could cut it to size but I don't want to cut something that I just spent over a grand on. So since it's longer, I'm assuming that it'll hit the exhaust tip where it's located at now. So when I do the new exhaust I'll just point the tip down and the step would extend to where it would possibly go. Check my pics and see what I'm talking about. I haven't seen a Double Cab with power steps. I think it's ridiculous that they would tell me that.

If I were you. I'd keep the stock exhaust manifolds. Pull out the 3rd cat. Pull the resonator and add a muffler of your choice. These trucks are loud as hell

If I were you. I'd keep the stock exhaust manifolds. Pull out the 3rd cat. Pull the resonator and add a muffler of your choice. These trucks are loud as hell

My desire in this endeavor is greatest flow. Best flow in and out for the best all around performance and mpgs possible. A "cake and eat it too" scenario if you will. But I do hear you. Even with the setup I have now it's loud. People constantly ask me what exhaust kit do I have and I said none, I simply cut it and ran a straight pipe out in front of the rear tire. I show them and they love it.