Intake manifold swap?

Ok, dumb question time. If the only the difference between the 5.3 and 6.2 intake is the TB opening, could the 5.3 be port matched to the 6.2 tb? Or is the bolt spacing different and/or is that a no-no on these composite intakes?

Edited by Austin66

The bolt spacing is slightly different and the throttle body will not mount up.I thought about opening the holes on the TB because they are not off by much, but the motor and sensor side of the throttle body will hit and not allow it to be mounted up correctly.

• Like 1

Ok, dumb question time. If the only the difference between the 5.3 and 6.2 intake is the TB opening, could the 5.3 be port matched to the 6.2 tb? Or is the bolt spacing different and/or is that a no-no on these composite intakes?

Either port the 5.3L throttlebody or get the 6.2L manifold and throttlebody and bolt everything up.

tune is not required for the swap. just a TB relearn ONLY is needed. To benefit and feel the benefit from the gains of the swap, a good tune would be needed yes.

How do you do the TB relearn? or is that in the tuning? Ill be doing TS headers and catted y and the intake swap at some point. I have warranty until 5/2019 but I dont know that Ill make it that long...

Why even do all of this if you're not going to Tune....That's my question?

RT

I will at some point but don't want to deal with it multiple times. Rather get truck where I want it and tune it then once unless its required.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow. Seriously? And here I've been feeling guilty about not spending enough of my very, very, very valuable time here contributing information many would find very valuable. Spend a little time doing that and this is the thanks I get....

That's OK. In my abundance of free time I was able to figure out how to log into wifi with my photographic memory so you can share in all I imagined!

There was this:

DSC_1353.jpg

and this:

DSC_1355.jpg

and:

DSC_1346.jpg

and:

DSC_1657.jpg

DSC_1659.jpg

DSC_1662.jpg

and last but not least my real wet dream!

DSC_1385.jpg

DSC_1388.jpg

DSC_1382.jpg

A few of these too!

LotsDynos.jpg

I actually have more than that but you can only fit so many dynos on one sheet.... Such an imagination....

Actually lots of people do think exactly that. There have been many conversations about it here and elsewhere the last four years. Since the intake manifold is the only major powercurve affecting difference between the shortblocks, that was the natural thing to think. 1/2 the people here will tell you catbacks and CAI's won't gain you any power ("all they add is noise, etc"), so it had to be the intake manifold, right?

Who is "We?" I guess I missed the memo. I don't think I've ever seen any discussion of the LT1 exhaust manifold (which one?) here as making a meaningful difference. A better question would be, who cares? If a couple of the ponies are coming from the exhaust manifolds and not the better cat-backs...who cares? The point is those are HP not coming from the intake manifold.

I stated the data pertained to the air intake system. Attached you will find a scan from a stock Camaro on the dyno. If you look at the MAP values, you can see it only pulls 3-3.5 kPa of vacuum from beginning to ~6K RPM, depending upon the exact RPM ranges over which you take your averages. That's as good as the trucks will do with an aftermarket CAI. With the stock system, the trucks will pull 5.5-6 kPa of vacuum.

If you do the math, that's a solid 10-12+ HP the air intake system alone is worth. Add somewhere around that much for a better exhaust system, and you realize most of the 35 HP difference isn't coming from the intake manifold. Even more importantly, the manifolds are not equal in the midrange torque they produce.

The L86 manifold is head and shoulders above the other two in the midrange. That won't matter much when racing once you're out of first gear (especially with an 8-speed), but for a truck doing truck things it is a difference to note.

If GM put the truck manifold on a Camaro, it would not be rated 420/460 as many would assume. It would be more like 440/480...or what you'd expect on a truck with a CAI and a catback. Like I said....

EDIT: I guess it won't let me attach an .hpl file. I'd be happy to email it to anybody who wants it.

Check the WOT cam tuning, you'll get even more gains up top. alot of power to pick up in the cam tables

If you have an L83 (5.3L) you can swap the L86 (6.2L) intake manifold and put an LT1 throttle body on. about $250 in parts and couple hours in labor. Fairly cheap and when tuned will pick up about 25-30hp... You can also swap the LT1 intake manifold and throttle body to an L*3 but it requires a new belt and pulley due to the throttle body angle on that manifold. both options are around $250 and some labor time and will gain about the same hp. tq will be gained more on the L*6 vs LT1.

The last option is the MSD Atomic Intake manifold and an lt1 throttle body. Again will require new belt and different pulley but will net maybe 5-10 horsepower more with tuune but lose on the low end side and cost you over $1k.

Hope that helps.

Can you just use the 6.2 throttle body?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk