GM Now the Clear Leader In U.S. Diesel Models

Gorehamj

post-139450-0-76029000-1480706797.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
12-2-2016

Over the past decade, General Motors has made a concerted effort to remain capable of providing its customers with diesel-powered vehicle offerings. Ford, Ram, and of course Volkswagen also have offered diesel vehicles, and the European Sports-Lux automakers dabble with small numbers of specialty diesels. However, GM seems to be taking a broader approach that will bring diesel vehicles not just to one segment of its customer base, as most automakers do, but to all of its largest sales segments beyond just HD trucks.

post-139450-0-01385800-1480706776_thumb.jpeg

Any member of this group knows that the Colorado and Canyon are hugely popular, due in part to the availability of diesel engines. Chevy is continuing to make diesel a premium, or upgrade on its midsize trucks, even including it as an option for the new Colorado ZR2.

post-139450-0-71438100-1480706747_thumb.jpeg

GM also announced that it will expand the 2.8-liter Duramax diesel engine to the Savana and Chevy Express vans that have been using larger diesel engines. This marks a shift from total hauling capacity and towing capability towards fuel economy as the primary benefit to these vehicle owners.

post-139450-0-66375700-1480707044_thumb.jpg

Diesels in pickups and work vehicles are not unique to GM. What will be unique to Chevy, for a while at least, is the new Equinox family crossover which will offer an optional diesel engine. The 1.6-liter diesel may offer buyers a high-torque, high-efficiency option to augment the new gasoline engines the crossover will have. Mazda has announced it too will offer its CX-5 crossover with an all-new diesel engine soon. Imagine a comparison test of two new family crossovers both with diesel power. Few would have predicted that when the VW fiasco erupted 15 months ago.

In total, no other automaker will have as broad a diesel offering as GM in 2017.

Driven a Colorado. Waiting to do the Equinox and the new Cruze. That 2.8 is pretty sweet in the Colorado. Great low end grunt. MUCH better to drive than the 3.6 IMO, just needs the 8 speed behind it like the Express/Savana get.

the biggest factor of all may be osh kosh and the new armored vehicles (hum vee remade)

there is a video on you tube, the truck is called

"JLTV"

used a big duramax, banks modified.

I was in the service while the 6.2 was killing us mainers on the flightline....

glad they got to make up for that pile of expensive trash, I am a GM fanboi anyway.

The only thing GM is missing ,Is the option of a Diesel in Chevy Silverado 1500 and it sister Sierra 1500 !! Ford has been testing a 3.0 V6 Diesel in the F 150 ,that will be out in 2018 !! But we are not reading anything

on a diesel for the Chevy 1/2 ton pickups.

Some more possible positive news for GM, glad to hear it. I just hope they get all the bugs worked out on the DPF and DEF systems.

At least the SCR system that GM uses actually GIVES you a fighting chance in getting to a place that sells DEF in case you forget to fill the DEF tank; 5MPH might not be very fast, but you are still moving, unlike Ford's SCR system; where if you run out of DEF, the PCM LOCKS THE TRANSMISSION IN PARK until you fill the DEF tank; but at least Ford lets you run the engine unlike Mercedes, who is the most heartless; if you run out of DEF, you WILL be calling for a tow truck, because if the AdBlue tank is empty in a Merc, it WILL NOT LET YOU START THE ENGINE until you pony up the $30 A GALLON to fill the AdBlue tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At least the SCR system that GM uses actually GIVES you a fighting chance in getting to a place that sells DEF in case you forget to fill the DEF tank; 5MPH might not be very fast, but you are still moving, unlike Ford's SCR system; where if you run out of DEF, the PCM LOCKS THE TRANSMISSION IN PARK until you fill the DEF tank; but at least Ford lets you run the engine unlike Mercedes, who is the most heartless; if you run out of DEF, you WILL be calling for a tow truck, because if the AdBlue tank is empty in a Merc, it WILL NOT LET YOU START THE ENGINE until you pony up the $30 A GALLON to fill the AdBlue tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlueDef for ~8$ per gallon is capable of replacing that expensive AdBlue stuff. We Use it in my wife's X5. BMW gives us 1000 miles worth of warning of low levels before the vehicle won't start.

Now, GM can prove to me it's a leader in the diesel field when the start dropping the baby DMax in the Tahoes & Yukons and I can net a similar 26 mpg as in my wife's X5!

If the demand is there they might. However- Diesel is not as readily available as regular gasoline is. It requires a different refinement process and regulations, and cannot be turned out in high volume like gas can. And since the refineries are under such scrutiny by the enviro nazi's, if they wanted to add more production of Diesel, that probably wouldn't happen.

I have a 2014 2.0 Cruze Turbo Diesel. Great engine, great fuel economy, car is fun to drive. The only drawback is the overly complex emissions system. I've had all the NOX2 sensors replaced at least twice & O2 sensors once. I received a recall notice from GM last month to replace the upstream NOX2 sensor. Took it in did the recall. GM also reflashed the ECM and as a result the car has been back to the dealer two more times and is still sitting there. Dealer has been good, working with GM to troubleshoot.

I sincerely hope GM gets the bugs worked out in the emissions systems, would love to trade my Cruze and my Silverado in on a new diesel Colorado.

Tons of em, Cry. I'm talking about R-E-F-I-N-E-R-I-E-S. Where crude oil goes to be refined and transformed into various fuels. A new refinery in the United States has not been built since 1977. Due in large part to the EPA & Environmentalists. While there have been upgrades to existing refineries, there would have to be significant upgrades and changes to existing infrastructure as well as new infrastructure to support a large increase in diesel fuel production. That is if it were to continue meeting it's obligations to other countries. I say other countries because the oil companies here make a TON of $$$ using their US based refineries, and then shipping it overseas. Especially Diesel and heating oil. Those countries pay a pretty penny to have fuel sent to them that has been refined here as they have no refineries where they are at that can handle what they need done, nor are they interested in building their own for environmental reasons. Hell, even Canada wants to pipe their tar sands crude down to Texas, some for refinement down there, others to be shipped crude bulk to other countries.

I have a 2014 2.0 Cruze Turbo Diesel. Great engine, great fuel economy, car is fun to drive. The only drawback is the overly complex emissions system. I've had all the NOX2 sensors replaced at least twice & O2 sensors once. I received a recall notice from GM last month to replace the upstream NOX2 sensor. Took it in did the recall. GM also reflashed the ECM and as a result the car has been back to the dealer two more times and is still sitting there. Dealer has been good, working with GM to troubleshoot.

I sincerely hope GM gets the bugs worked out in the emissions systems, would love to trade my Cruze and my Silverado in on a new diesel Colorado.

I believe trying to stay away from emissions issues is one of the big reasons VW did it's thing that got them in trouble. I still contend that one of those VWs would be a great car as long as you could keep driving it without the update to fix the issues. Great news is now you can get a good used one for dirt cheap due to the unwarranted bad press.

If the demand is there they might. However- Diesel is not as readily available as regular gasoline is. It requires a different refinement process and regulations, and cannot be turned out in high volume like gas can. And since the refineries are under such scrutiny by the enviro nazi's, if they wanted to add more production of Diesel, that probably wouldn't happen.

Texas is diesel truck land. Diesel is plentiful here. Price is equivalent to regular gas. I think Trump is gonna see that regulations are lightened and refineries will prove they can produce a sufficient amount of diesel for all of us. Times will be changing.

That engine is non other than the legendary Izusu 2.8 diesel engine that has been tested and used all over the world on cars and trucks for decades. I'm sure it has had some improvements over the years, it's one of the best diesel engines ever built.

Archived