Pics in the Snow

In 4Hi the front & rear tires are locked together as ONE - and the rears will only spin if the fronts can spin ... thought added weight in the rear will make for better traction all around

maybe with the new trucks.

But older models more power goes to rear wheels in 4 hi. 4 lo is equal power front and rear.

Why are 4 wheel drive vehicles the first in the ditch?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But older models more power goes to rear wheels in 4 hi. 4 lo is equal power front and rear.

Driver error ? they go good but don't turn orstop so good ?

I've heard the more power to front or more power to rear thing a hundred times. I haven't ever found any evidence to support either side. A locked transfer case is a locked transfer case. Was anything else ever used in an HD truck?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I've heard the more power to front or more power to rear thing a hundred times. I haven't ever found any evidence to support either side. A locked transfer case is a locked transfer case. Was anything else ever used in an HD truck?

some cars & suv's have a viscous coupler that varies the power between the front & rear tires ... according to traction needs.

Subaru's have symmetrical all wheel drive with the manual transmission (like our full size trucks), BUT Subaru automatics have the viscous coupler ... iirc ...

some cars & suv's have a viscous coupler that varies the power between the front & rear tires ... according to traction needs.

Subaru's have symmetrical all wheel drive with the manual transmission (like our full size trucks), BUT Subaru automatics have the viscous coupler ... iirc ...

Kinda...

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/not-every-subaru-all-wheel-drive-system-is-created-equal/

p.s. sold my 2014 STi and got the truck 2 weeks ago. Have yet to utilize the truck's off road capabilities. But I can tell you STi's AWD was a bliss... gonna miss it.

Also put as much weight as you can on the rear axle of the truck. Even in 4 hi the rear drive wheels will lose traction first.

Well I think that if I am towing it will have lots of pin weight on the real axle. My 5er weighs between 12,000 to 14,000 lbs. We are going to weigh it next week.

With my 1500 I put 3 fifty lb bags of sand in the rear of the bed. But I don't want to haul that kind of additional weight in the bed when pulling the trailer.

They do. But we're talking about a locked transfer case on a 4x4 pickup.

But that's not a locked chain drive transfercase in an HD truck...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Archived