my new 17 gmc sierra 1500 denali build

Well I always preach about the performance/capability LOSS when people add crazy lifts/heavy tires to trucks when they make no coinciding power/gear upgrades...kinda defeats the purpose in a way, but you took that mentality to a whole new level lol!

I will probably add some LT headers to mine in the future....I'll leave the FI to my vette,,,,gotta ask tho, why turbo setup vs. supercharger? Seems to me SC would be a much simpler install, more reliable, & in the event you ever sell the truck (doubt you have that in mind right now) alot easier to either de-mod or find a buyer for it w/ the SC on....my guess is a twin turbo truck would scare people away alot more than a supercharged one.

Very interested to see the results.

Have you had any issues w/ the tranny post tune? Did it reduce the "clunk", shifting flares, or any of the other gremlins?

Speaking of the tranny....I also assume you plan on having it built during the turbo install right? Where are you sending it? If you're not building it up....won't it pretty much implode as soon as those 2 snails are strapped on w/ a 6" lift & wheel/tire setup that is probably gonna increase your unsprung weight by about 40 lbs a corner??

lol your sir are right about that, i hate losing so much power to raise the truck and having beefier tires. my original idea was to get the supercharger to make up for the losses of the lift, because bolt ons and a tune dont offer much without forced induction . once i found out i can get twins installed instead i jumped on the opportunity of having more power over the superchargers, i can adjust the boost to be low or high , and have more power and better sounds than superchargers, and is why i chose to go with them. im not worried over resale , its not happening anytime soon, and when it does come im sure there will be plenty of interested buyers that would love a boosted denali.

i have never had tranny issues on any of my gm trucks in the past, and i did not have a tune on it yet, its getting installed with the turbo together right now, so i cant comment what it felt like after just the tune. ive heard there are guys running quite a bit more power on the new stock 8 speed trans than i ever plan to run, and have had zero problems, im not planning to build the trans , and if there is every a issue with it , il deal with it when i get to that point , if i ever do. just like my GTR stock trans blew up on the track, i got it rebuilt to withstand alot more power than it now has.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol your sir are right about that, i hate losing so much power to raise the truck and having beefier tires. my original idea was to get the supercharger to make up for the losses of the lift, because bolt ons and a tune dont offer much without forced induction . once i found out i can get twins installed instead i jumped on the opportunity of having more power over the superchargers, i can adjust the boost to be low or high , and have more power and better sounds than superchargers, and is why i chose to go with them. im not worried over resale , its not happening anytime soon, and when it does come im sure there will be plenty of interested buyers that would love a boosted denali.

i have never had tranny issues on any of my gm trucks in the past, and i did not have a tune on it yet, its getting installed with the turbo together right now, so i cant comment what it felt like after just the tune. ive heard there are guys running quite a bit more power on the new stock 8 speed trans than i ever plan to run, and have had zero problems, im not planning to build the trans , and if there is every a issue with it , il deal with it when i get to that point , if i ever do. just like my GTR stock trans blew up on the track, i got it rebuilt to withstand alot more power than it now has.

Yeah I guess you're right no point in dumping $$$ into the tranny if its in one piece now & has some history of being able to handle big power (forget the vettes have the same trans) - good to know, makes me less concerned about getting mine tuned now lol!

Yeah I guess you're right no point in dumping $$$ into the tranny if its in one piece now & has some history of being able to handle big power (forget the vettes have the same trans) - good to know, makes me less concerned about getting mine tuned now lol!

lol , if you are just going after bolt ons and tune you have nothing to worry about ever. these motors and trans are built to last. i have had a a tune and intake on the 2013 denali with awd, and put on twice as heavy tires and wheels than it had before and i never had a problem , now has 70 k miles after 4 years and runs the same now as on the first day.

lol , if you are just going after bolt ons and tune you have nothing to worry about ever. these motors and trans are built to last. i have had a a tune and intake on the 2013 denali with awd, and put on twice as heavy tires and wheels than it had before and i never had a problem , now has 70 k miles after 4 years and runs the same now as on the first day.

I wouldn't get too confident w/ the drivetrain just yet, you're aware Vette guys have literally had their engines blow right? Including the Z06 w/ the factory blower.....

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/07/yet-another-c7-corvette-z06-engine-bites-the-dust/

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/c7-corvette-owners-keep-reporting-blown-engines-this-knocking-lt1-v8-sounds-painful-video-97115.html

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/3650835-c7-zo6-blown-motor-with-6-miles.html

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3529409-blown-up-engine-5-month-old-stingray.html

I have done some reading on the A8 before & recently & seems they have been OK as far as holding increased HP, but if you read enough on this forum (& I have also experienced firsthand) it does appear there is a fairly common issue w/ the torque converters failing or not engaging properly w/ these trucks

I'm not trying to be a pessimist I'm just intrigued w/ the build.

This forum for sure has the most complaints on the trans..However if you think about most of them are literally just complaints, no real catastrophic failures on our new A8. Maybe I am just being naive and hoping they last cause I own one with 5k miles.I have read and been told by people close to GM that these 8's are far stronger than the outgoing A6. Hopefully that is true also because I had a cam/boosted G8 that grenaded a A6 and they're not cheap to replace or build up!!

I wouldn't get too confident w/ the drivetrain just yet, you're aware Vette guys have literally had their engines blow right? Including the Z06 w/ the factory blower.....

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/07/yet-another-c7-corvette-z06-engine-bites-the-dust/

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/c7-corvette-owners-keep-reporting-blown-engines-this-knocking-lt1-v8-sounds-painful-video-97115.html

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/3650835-c7-zo6-blown-motor-with-6-miles.html

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3529409-blown-up-engine-5-month-old-stingray.html

I have done some reading on the A8 before & recently & seems they have been OK as far as holding increased HP, but if you read enough on this forum (& I have also experienced firsthand) it does appear there is a fairly common issue w/ the torque converters failing or not engaging properly w/ these trucks

I'm not trying to be a pessimist I'm just intrigued w/ the build.

yea i heard about the newer models horror stories, but if this wasnt fixed yet im sure they would have alot more issues than they had. im not worried about a couple bad apples

This forum for sure has the most complaints on the trans..However if you think about most of them are literally just complaints, no real catastrophic failures on our new A8. Maybe I am just being naive and hoping they last cause I own one with 5k miles.I have read and been told by people close to GM that these 8's are far stronger than the outgoing A6. Hopefully that is true also because I had a cam/boosted G8 that grenaded a A6 and they're not cheap to replace or build up!!

i never had trans issues with my last truck, and only hear good things on the new trans so im not to worried. the tuner said that if its tuned right then it should last. the shifting has to be tuned to not be to aggresive for it to last . if something happens so be it il just rebuild it, cant be more expensive than my trans rebuild on the gtr that cost me 17k already, for billet gears and clutches and to withhold 1k wheel hp.

I want to hear the spooling already lol

ye me to buddy, he started welding up the collectors i dont have much yet from him but one pic of work being started. i get to drive my more exciting cars to work for now so im not complaining for the wait lol

IMG_20161213_200348_zpsjf5bg74x.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived