2016 Silverado 2500 Diesel turned off while driving

Has anyone had an issue with their trucks turning off while driving. I was driving the other day to work, going about 35 mph, and the engine shut off on me. I coasted into a neighborhood and was able to restart it. I took it straight to the dealership but I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else?

The truck only has 8K miles on it. It never gave any sign of trouble before this happened. I haven't heard back from the dealership as of yet but I'll keep you guys up to date. I have seen in older trucks that have had this issue that it was the crank position sensor but nothing about this issue with newer trucks.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have not heard anything like that happening, but then again there is not a large number of Diesel owners on this forum. Just a handful of us. You might try over at duramaxforum.com I hate to say it, but I'm betting the dealer will come back with unable to find anything. When it died did everything shut off like the radio, dash controls and what not, or just the engine died with the notification lights active in the cluster?

When it died on me the radio stayed on but I lost all control of the motor. Oil pressure went to 0, no response to gas pedal, lost power steering. It was like i was rolling with just the accessories on. So far the deal has no idea whats wrong with it. They have had it for two days now and are still trying to figure it out. They say they are in contact with the Chevrolet engineers about it.

Sorry that's what I meant, were the accessories still working or was it dead as in no power to anything. I ask that because there have been known issues of the GMT-900s (2007-2013) where everything went out, as if no battery power at all. I had a 2007 Sierra 1500 that has this happen a few times. But sounds more like a mechanical issue vs electrical like what I had, but it could be just that. Uggh. It's going to be a tough thing for the service department to figure out. "Unable to duplicate issue"

Well just an update.... I heard back from the dealership after two days of them now knowing anything. They say that it was due to bad diesel.

What doesn't make sense to me is that I was driving on that tank for about three days before this happened. I figure if it was bad diesel that it would have happened sooner or the truck would have been running bad before it happened.

They will say bad diesel just to get out of repairs if any are required.

Make them PROVE everything that they say. If they say it's bad diesel make them PROVE it. Just saying it's bad diesel they could "void" your engine warranty. Cover your a$$. They usually have a bag in one hand and are waiting to put it on your head.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

How they said they came to that conclusion was due to a P128E code. That brought them to test the diesel and say it was bad. So they removed the fuel, replaced fuel filter, and the CP3 Pump.

I am going after the gas station now to try and get them to reimburse me for my cost.

Well just an update.... I heard back from the dealership after two days of them now knowing anything. They say that it was due to bad diesel.

What doesn't make sense to me is that I was driving on that tank for about three days before this happened. I figure if it was bad diesel that it would have happened sooner or the truck would have been running bad before it happened.

Wait, you ran for 3 days on this fuel without issue? How much of the tank did you use? When the truck died did it Peter out or just shut right off? If it was bad fuel it would of chugged and the tach would of been bouncing all around and then shut off.

I wouldn't call it generous... I had to pay for it. None of this was covered under my warranty

What good is having a new truck with a warranty? You can't test every fuel station before you run their fuel. I'd call gm corporate and I'd also send a sample of the fuel to a lab. Being dark in color doesn't mean it's bad fuel. Its always best to get fuel from a station that does large volume and never get fuel while there is a tanker filling the stations Tanks.

In that case... SH**!!! How much did they charge you for the pump?

I'd guess right about $1895 for the cp3.

Archived