2016 Silverado 2500 Diesel turned off while driving

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pump itself was 650. They also replaced the fuel filter and did a diesel emissions service... everything out the door was over 1K

The cp3 injection pump was only $650?? They definitely gave you a cheap reman then... Unless the replaced the low pressure pump and called it the cp3. Dealerships aren't always the smartest. Also you probably would of been fine with a fuel filter and some fresh fuel. Cp3 pumps dont fail that often.

Not to be a smart ass but the newer trucks use a CP4 pump. Sucks that they can just call bad fuel and toss you a bill. I agree you can't test fuel as you pump it.

I am just going off of what they put down on the maintenance report.

The reason that they said the warranty didn't cover it was that it wasn't a mechanical failure due to the truck itself. It was a failure due to the fuel that was introduced to the truck.

Can they prove the fuel caused this? Can they even prove the cp4 injection pump is even bad?

I'd send a sample of the fuel in for analysis and see if an outside source can inspect the inspection pump like exergy injection services.

Can they prove the fuel caused this? Can they even prove the cp4 injection pump is even bad?

I'd send a sample of the fuel in for analysis and see if an outside source can inspect the inspection pump like exergy injection services.

I'd send a sample of the fuel in for analysis and see if an outside source can inspect the injection pump like exergy injection services.

I'd send a sample of the fuel in for analysis and see if an outside source can inspect the injection pump like exergy injection services.

I will look into this. Thanks

• 8 months later...

I am 2 months into my CP4 replacement on our 2015 Silverado 3500HDLTZ DuraMax. I have yet to hear from the "Senior Advisor" although she is supposedly in contact with the dealership.

Joannie @ 1-866-790-5700 EXT 5914559

Never have been contacted, the dealership put the truck back together and EVERY GASKET LEAKS. My driveway looks like the EXXON VALDEZ docked at my house.

My repair is over the $10K mark for parts only. I don't believe your dealership was being honest...I wanted to do an Industrial CP3 pump and that cost was over $16K.

I can not believe I traded in my 1st Gen Dodge for this. Worst $80,000.00 mistake of my life!!

2015's don't use the CP4. You cannot use the CP4 in place of the CP3 as the CP4 requires a lift pump. Lastly, no dealer is going to do this type of thing.

Also CP3's by Industrial Injection are $1,000. Almost $400 less than a Bosch reman.

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/parts-accessories/1706-pumped-up-industrial-injection-duramax-cp3-rebuild/

None of what you said makes sense. Sorry.

So the 2015 Duramax LML does not use a CP4 pump?

I am 99% sure you are wrong. Go over to any duramax forum and it's the 2011-2016 LML with the CP4 high pressure fuel pump that fails. Guys have been converting their LMLs to the CP3 through an expensive conversion due to the high failures of the CP4 pump.

Also that's the problem with the fuel system design of the LML. There is no lift pump. When I had my 2012 Duramax guys we're adding lift pumps thinking it would help extend the life of their CP4 but in the end we still have major failures.

2015's don't use the CP4. You cannot use the CP4 in place of the CP3 as the CP4 requires a lift pump. Lastly, no dealer is going to do this type of thing.

Also CP3's by Industrial Injection are $1,000. Almost $400 less than a Bosch reman.

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/parts-accessories/1706-pumped-up-industrial-injection-duramax-cp3-rebuild/

None of what you said makes sense. Sorry.

Crap, you are right. The 2017 ditched the Bosch for the Denso and a lift pump. My 2016 had the CP4 (no issues by the way).

David.Lewis.1970 must have been out of warranty on his 2015 to be stuck footing the bill. Going back to the CP3 is possible but not something a dealer will do. If you are going that route you should do a complete delete.

Also, the failure rate on the CP4 is high but not nearly as bad the these boards would lead you to believe. One site did a pole and it came out to about 6.5%. Is that high? Yes, absolutely. But it is much lower than you would think based on the posts. You have a 93.5% chance of not having an injection pump problem. I'll take those odds any day.

I went back to gas (for a few reasons, the injection pump was not one of them) so it's not a concern for me anymore. :)

I read the imbedded article and I don't understand what you were referring to....was it that I could get a reman from that outfit? I chose to go with AC/Delco for the 1 yr unlimited mileage warranty....which to my experience with the service techs at GM is a good call. I was NOT able to keep any of my parts after the decision was made that warranty was going to cover the catastrophic failure of the fuel system.

I am not a diesel mechanic in fact I am a first time (and last time) DuraMax owner. As soon as I get rid of this piece of crap I will be dancing in the street. There have been OVER 26,000 CP4 failures this year....not a lot right? Well considering every CP4 failure costs a minimum of $6K IN PARTS ALONE...then that is an astounding amount of money that GM is putting into repairing a crappy design feature.

My truck was EVENTUALLY covered by warranty....it was out of pocket originally until they were able to determine I had never altered my truck for added performance, although I added front and rear air, front and rear Warn quick connects, Amp fold downs front and rear, bed liner, 5th wheel package with B&W Turnover, LED Aux Lights Front and Rear with a Warn Trans4mer Front Brush Guard.

I have 88,400 miles on my truck (2056 HRS) and this is the 3rd time it has been in the shop for a diesel system related issue. Basically I have paid $1.06 per mile to drive my truck for 31 months.

I went back to gas (for a few reasons, the injection pump was not one of them) so it's not a concern for me anymore. :)

just curious, why did you switch to gas from diesel ?

just curious, why did you switch to gas from diesel ?

I had wanted a diesel for many many years. I was driving a 2014 1500 CC 4x4 LT at the time. My wife decides we need a 40', 10,600lb travel trailer. There is no way my 1500 can handle that so I bought a 2016 2500HD CC 4x4 LTZ Duramax. The camper came a few months later. Turns out she finds a permanent spot for the camper that she loves so I don't need to tow it. I am paying a crap ton of money to daily drive a truck that should really be working. Then there were the regens every 300 miles. That's what happens when you turn a dmax into a daily driver. My truck also suffered from the sloppy steering that many others are experiencing. It was corrected once but was starting to come back when I traded her in.

In 2008 I had a 2004 2500HD CC 4x4 LT with the 6.0 that I absolutely loved. It was probably my favorite truck ( I have had five trucks in the last 8 years. It's an addiction.) So... I am back to a gasser and I really like it a lot. Simple, low maintenance, and has what is arguably they best gas truck motor ever made by GM. I mean, 200,000 MTBF (mean time between failure) for the timing chain. That is crazy durable for an engine that is expected to spend its life carrying and towing heavy loads around.

I had wanted a diesel for many many years. I was driving a 2014 1500 CC 4x4 LT at the time. My wife decides we need a 40', 10,600lb travel trailer. There is no way my 1500 can handle that so I bought a 2016 2500HD CC 4x4 LTZ Duramax. The camper came a few months later. Turns out she finds a permanent spot for the camper that she loves so I don't need to tow it. I am paying a crap ton of money to daily drive a truck that should really be working. Then there were the regens every 300 miles. That's what happens when you turn a dmax into a daily driver. My truck also suffered from the sloppy steering that many others are experiencing. It was corrected once but was starting to come back when I traded her in.

In 2008 I had a 2004 2500HD CC 4x4 LT with the 6.0 that I absolutely loved. It was probably my favorite truck ( I have had five trucks in the last 8 years. It's an addiction.) So... I am back to a gasser and I really like it a lot. Simple, low maintenance, and has what is arguably they best gas truck motor ever made by GM. I mean, 200,000 MTBF (mean time between failure) for the timing chain. That is crazy durable for an engine that is expected to spend its life carrying and towing heavy loads around.

Are diesels really not meant for daily drivers? I've always wanted a diesel and might look into buying one once i pay off my 1500, but if it comes with a shitload of problems then it might not be worth it.

Are diesels really not meant for daily drivers? I've always wanted a diesel and might look into buying one once i pay off my 1500, but if it comes with a shitload of problems then it might not be worth it.

Problems, no. Differences, most certainly. General maintenance is more expensive and should be budgeted for. Oil changes are a bit more (10qt vs 8qt in your 5.3). Fuel filter must be replaced every 20,000 miles. DEF. Not a huge expense but it must be counted for. I chose to plug my truck in during the winter. I didn't "need" to but it sure was nice to start it and have heat immediately. The electric bill at my house went up $15/month. The block heater is a 1500 watt element.

Then there are some of the common issues. They are mostly emissions related. DEF for example. DEF will freeze in the tank. GM has made provisions for this, you can Google all about it. My DEF level stuck at 24% last winter even though the tank was full and it was thawed. Had to go to the dealer. They had to flash the computer to fix it. Regens. Mine were occurring often. About every 350 miles. The fuel mileage during a regen drops dramatically. The computer dumps extra fuel into the catalyst to raise the exhaust temp and burn the soot from the DPF. I saw exhaust temps has high as 1400 degrees. If you do a lot of highway driving this process occurs about every 750 miles. Injection pump issues. While infrequent, it is a VERY expensive repair if you are out of warranty. Somewhere in the $10k neighborhood!

That being said, the Duramax / Alison combo is the best out there! No question. Would I buy another? Probably not unless I had to tow a lot. After all, that's what they are built for.

Archived